Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stopovers in Singapore

Stopovers in Singapore

Old May 25th 2005, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future
Default Stopovers in Singapore

I've decided to book my flights with Singapore Airlines as they give you the extra baggage when validating your visa. However, I'd like to do a stopover (I did this many years ago and I can't remember any of it), would that mean that I would have to lugg all of my extra baggage off the carousel in Singapore Airport? Can anyone tell me how the stopover works please? Do you get a transfer from the airport to the hotel etc? Any information would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Old May 25th 2005, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopovers in Singapore

Originally Posted by kelusa
I've decided to book my flights with Singapore Airlines as they give you the extra baggage when validating your visa. However, I'd like to do a stopover (I did this many years ago and I can't remember any of it), would that mean that I would have to lugg all of my extra baggage off the carousel in Singapore Airport? Can anyone tell me how the stopover works please? Do you get a transfer from the airport to the hotel etc? Any information would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Been there done that! We had a one night stopover with Emirates a couple of years ago. When we checked in at Manchester they said that they could hold the bags at Singapore airport and put them onto the appropriate flight the next day (which they did). We only had to bother about our hand luggage. We'd actually found this out before travelling so we had everything we needed in the hand luggage.

Failing that they have lockers at the airport where you can leave the heavy stuff for a small fee (it's all on the SA website).

Transfers are provided often by the hotel you book with. Ours wasn't but there was no problem because we just went to a bit in the terminal where they arrange transport to hotels in minibuses. They travel regularly and we only had to wait 20 mins or so. It didn't cost much from memory - about £10 for 2.

Don't stay at the Golden Landmark Hotel!

http://www.changi.airport.com.sg/cha...sp?bmLocale=en (look under arrival I think from memory)
http://www.airwise.com/airports/apac/SIN/

OzTennis
Old May 25th 2005, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Been there done that! We had a one night stopover with Emirates a couple of years ago. When we checked in at Manchester they said that they could hold the bags at Singapore airport and put them onto the appropriate flight the next day (which they did). We only had to bother about our hand luggage. We'd actually found this out before travelling so we had everything we needed in the hand luggage.

Failing that they have lockers at the airport where you can leave the heavy stuff for a small fee (it's all on the SA website).

Transfers are provided often by the hotel you book with. Ours wasn't but there was no problem because we just went to a bit in the terminal where they arrange transport to hotels in minibuses. They travel regularly and we only had to wait 20 mins or so. It didn't cost much from memory - about £10 for 2.

Don't stay at the Golden Landmark Hotel!

http://www.changi.airport.com.sg/cha...sp?bmLocale=en (look under arrival I think from memory)
http://www.airwise.com/airports/apac/SIN/

OzTennis

We migrated last year and had to lug all the excessive luggage into town by taxi. It wasn`t diificult as the taxi drivers and hotel porters are so helpful - not like the Uk or Sydney taxi drivers.
Old May 25th 2005, 12:33 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

I had been told that you were only given the excess bagage allowance if you did NOT have a stop over. Apparently you have to go direct with no stopovers Would be good if I'm wrong!

Carolyn
Old May 25th 2005, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NAC
I had been told that you were only given the excess bagage allowance if you did NOT have a stop over. Apparently you have to go direct with no stopovers Would be good if I'm wrong!

Carolyn

No idea what the deal is with this and Singapore Airlines. But Cathay Pacific told us we couldn't have excess baggage if we were stopping in HK for a holiday, even one night.
We contacted the main office to question this and they not only told us this but also said that they do not give excess baggage to anyone, stop over or not, which is different to what we had been originally told.

All v frustrating!
Old May 25th 2005, 12:47 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Parker
No idea what the deal is with this and Singapore Airlines. But Cathay Pacific told us we couldn't have excess baggage if we were stopping in HK for a holiday, even one night.
We contacted the main office to question this and they not only told us this but also said that they do not give excess baggage to anyone, stop over or not, which is different to what we had been originally told.

All v frustrating!

Done a bit more research and I am probably wrong. As far as I can see SA will honour your excess luggage even WITH a stopover but it was Emirates that woudn't. The advice seems to be to get it in writing from the Airline you are using (not travel agent etc).
Old May 25th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kelusa
Cheers.
Hi, we stopped over in Singapore with Singapore airlines 19th to 22nd April, You have to lugg all baggage off the carousel but we took ours to the secure luggage place and booked it in for 5 dollars for each case per 24hrs.
You go to the singapore stopover desk and collect your voucher for the hotel and transfer.
Just take what you need to the hotel and collect the rest before your next check in.
confirm luggage allowance when booking, heathrow were really strict even weighed hand luggage but checkin at singapore did not bother!

hope this helps
DI
Old May 25th 2005, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the advice - thats really helpful!
Old May 25th 2005, 1:23 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we also stopped over in singapore for 24hrs flying with singapore airlines and we were allowed extra baggage. we did have to get all luggage off and take it with us to the hotel but it was fine.

louise
Old May 25th 2005, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

If your stop over hotel etc. is booked through singapore airlines they provide a free minibus service to your hotel on arrival, with the minibus driver luggin all your bags on, then at the hotel they take them off, put them on the bag trolley thing and take them up to your room. no sweat!
they also give you loads of discount vouchers / free tickets to attractions etc.
and the flight crew are really helpful, good looking and wear thin skin tight cotton outfits (the girls do anyway) !

cadman