Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

stopovers and luggage

stopovers and luggage

Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough
Default stopovers and luggage

Hello,

We're not off for a while yet but I am focusing on the good bits (and not stressing about selling the house!). We are hoping to have a stopover in Singapore on our way over to Melbourne as we have a lively 2 year old and an even livlier 11 year old! So my question is what do you do with your luggage? do you take it all with you to your hotel or leave it at the aiport? (in left luggage).

Is a stopover a good idea do you think? My view is you may as well see a bit of the world on the way not just from an aeroplane window.

Can anyone recommend any family friendly hotels in singapore too?

Sorry about all the questions, but thak you in advance for any answers.

Karen
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: stopovers and luggage

Originally Posted by parentsof2
Hello,

We're not off for a while yet but I am focusing on the good bits (and not stressing about selling the house!). We are hoping to have a stopover in Singapore on our way over to Melbourne as we have a lively 2 year old and an even livlier 11 year old! So my question is what do you do with your luggage? do you take it all with you to your hotel or leave it at the aiport? (in left luggage).

Is a stopover a good idea do you think? My view is you may as well see a bit of the world on the way not just from an aeroplane window.

Karen
We stopped off in Singapore too on our way to Perth. We stayed there 2 days.
Can't remember the hotel but it was bloody fantastic 4 star hotel, and Singapore is great.
I do think a break between travelling is a good idea. Gives you time to reflect and feel more comfortable.
Happy travels.

Oh by the way you take your suitcases with you to the hotel. Abit of a farce, but so is emigrating.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

We stopped in Kuala Lumpur, it was very nice and the hotel was fantastic (apart from the building site next door). KL is very nice with friendly natives, possibly another option to Singapore.

A family travelling with us had a problem with their baggage though - the airline said that the 'excess baggage' they were given in UK wasn't valid for the onward flight after the stopover. They paid a lot in fees but eventually got the money back from the airline. Something to check before you fly maybe...
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

We flew to Oz last Autumn (not migrating) and had very heavy bags (motorcycle leathers, helmets, boots etc). Fortunately we didn't get charged any excess luggage even though I think we were up to 33kg each on the way back. Anyway, not much fun to lug around.

We stopped over in Tokyo, packed a separate bag with enough clothes for the stopover inside one of our big bags, pulled it out and put the rest in left luggage. Unless you are staying very close to the hotel or are being picked up, I'd say leave it at the airport, especially if you have to travel on public transport.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all your replies. I suppose we shall take our suitcases with us to the hotel as I would be a bit worried about leaving all our worldly goods at the airport. I shall definetely check about the weight allowance before deciding anything though.

Karen
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:09 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Thanks for all your replies. I suppose we shall take our suitcases with us to the hotel as I would be a bit worried about leaving all our worldly goods at the airport. I shall definetely check about the weight allowance before deciding anything though.

Karen
flights booked with singapore we got 40kg baggage allowance but if we have a stopover we will have to pay for the extra baggage on the flight to Perth £25 per kg x 5 :scared:
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveplumber
flights booked with singapore we got 40kg baggage allowance but if we have a stopover we will have to pay for the extra baggage on the flight to Perth £25 per kg x 5 :scared:
When do you fly out?
Lynne
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:17 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mick69
When do you fly out?
Lynne
28th August five of us 1 way to Perth
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

28th August five of us 1 way to Perth
Good luck.
We fly 6th February, were going to stopover but decided to go straight through. We do have about 9 hours in Singapore so will have a little look around. Not what we wanted but hey, look where we are going
Lynne
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:24 pm
Essex Staffy

Originally Posted by mick69
Good luck.
We fly 6th February, were going to stopover but decided to go straight through. We do have about 9 hours in Singapore so will have a little look around. Not what we wanted but hey, look where we are going
Lynne
Oh lovely youve not gone long u lucky people are you scared cos we are and weve got 8 months :scared:
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:35 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Oh lovely youve not gone long u lucky people are you scared cos we are and weve got 8 months :scared:
we came out to migrate in august with singapore. got the double baggage, so plenty of suitcases as there are 4 of us. stopped over for 2 days at singapore, packed one suitcase for the stopover, left all the others at left luggage at the airport, collected it again, and then onto sydney. no problems with the 40k as it was on the ticket.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't say scared, EXCITED more like it. Venturing into the unknown.

Lynne
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:02 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

When are you planning on coming out? My advice is to spend 2 nights minimum ie the night you arrive and the night before your departure.

My suggestions are:
The Zoo
Sentosa Island

All the hotels are designed for stop overs and if it doesnt have a pool dont bother. My suggestions are the Mandarin on Orchard Road (mainly because its central to our friends and my sisterinlaw lives down the road.
But if you are flying with Singapore they have great stopover deals and have yet to run into a hotel and go away with bad impression.

If you are not using an airline transfer service I have the number of a "very" reliable taxi service that will pick you up and drop you off. We text him a few weeks in advance every time we go and he is always there with a smile.

Hello,

Karen
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:07 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Karen
Hiya.....
We flew London Heathrow to Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur to Brisbane with an overnight stopover at KL. Would'nt have done it any other way other than maybe staying longer, so we could have used the pool and maybe had a massage!!
When put the luggage on at London we never saw it again until Brisbane. We had an overnight bag for our stay at the hotel.
Our 13 yr old was sick on the London to KL flight and i dont know what he would have been like if we'd have just 'hung' around the airport for a few hours before getting on the next flight.
Good luck...........C x