Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stopovers - how to request?

Wikiposts

Stopovers - how to request?

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:30 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stopovers - how to request?

When I go into the various airlines websites and search for flights Manchester (say) - Kuala Lumpur / Singapore / Dubai etc then on to Perth I don't seem to get options for breaking the journey with a stopover. If I go for the multi-trip options the price seems to rocket. Anyone got any tips?

Specifically, I was just looking at the Malaysian Airlines option to Kuala Lumpur for a few days with a week on the beach at Langkawi that a few others have done and don't know where to begin searching for that one.

I tried and failed Emirates Manchester-Dubai (3 days) - Perth too.

Do the consolidators sites make this any easier?

PS Do you tend to lose any chance of extra baggage allowance doing this too.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stopovers - how to request?

Originally Posted by worzel
When I go into the various airlines websites and search for flights Manchester (say) - Kuala Lumpur / Singapore / Dubai etc then on to Perth I don't seem to get options for breaking the journey with a stopover. If I go for the multi-trip options the price seems to rocket. Anyone got any tips?

Specifically, I was just looking at the Malaysian Airlines option to Kuala Lumpur for a few days with a week on the beach at Langkawi that a few others have done and don't know where to begin searching for that one.

I had this trouble too, so I phoned ebookers and got a better price than online!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Stopovers - how to request?

Hi,
Can't specifically answer your particular situation but we've also been looking at Malaysian Airlines on-line booking site and just booked our validation trip with them. Paid £1,649.00 for one way flight for 4 adults and 1 child, London- Kuala Lumper- Melbourne, including taxes, in September. Child was £210 + tax, Adults £280 + tax each.

Decided not to have a stopover this time as we nearly up on our validation date and we just want to get to Oz but the ticket says it allows a free stopover, and possible to get flights from Manchester but you have to book by 30th June.

The biggest problem we had was getting the online booking to go through, tried emailing but no reply, so in the end we phoned Malaysian airlines in Malaysia to sort out the problem. Try phoning 00 60 37846 3000, someone is there 24 hours a day. We tried phoning London +Manchester Malaysian airline office but got nowhere.They told us to make the online booking as a Guest, so don't bother signing up as a member, otherwise your booking is likely to get rejected, and you'll be asked for your details over and over again.
From what I've read on BExps you don't get extra baggage allowance with Malaysian Airlines but the nearest price for all of us was £500 more so I think we got a good deal!

Please let us know your reasons for a stopover in Malaysia, in case we decide to go there some other time.
Sherie.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:16 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

I've found it nearly impossible to book a stopover online. The best I've found is to look up various flights online (I like http://www.airline-network.co.uk) and find a flight you like the price of, then read through the fare rules to see if a stopover is allowed. Once you've got an idea of what flights allow stopovers, you can call a few travel agents and let them know exactly what you want and which flights you're looking at.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:19 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Sherie, Ali_South

We don't have dates yet and haven't decided where to go etc so I don't think we will get far with phone queries. I was just trying to get an impression of whether this sort of thing was possible / how much etc

Saraliz

That just about confirms it. We thought about calling into a local independent travel agent that sorted us out for our 3 month round the world trip a couple of years ago. I wondered whether they would be more expensive than on-line though? Will have to give it a go when we are ready to book and fall back to direct flights off the net if no good.

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Davey is on a distinguished road

Hi Worzel

I have just been looking at the same thing with a week on the beach at Langkawi. I ended up phoning travel bag who were really helpful.

I then researched wether it was the rainy season and they estimate 12-14 inches of rain fail in Septemeber and when we were planning to go.
They do say that it will rain then clear up and be fine - but i fell foul to the rain in Thailand and it was a bit much for us. There is a website of Langkawi which has loads of info - sorry can't find it but i came across it via google when looking to see how it was affected by the tsumami.

So its worth checking out the climate for the time you are going to travel (thats if it bothers you) - its made me change for a stopover in Singapore and travelbag were good on the phone.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:48 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Davey
Hi Worzel

I have just been looking at the same thing with a week on the beach at Langkawi. I ended up phoning travel bag who were really helpful.

I then researched wether it was the rainy season and they estimate 12-14 inches of rain fail in Septemeber and when we were planning to go.
They do say that it will rain then clear up and be fine - but i fell foul to the rain in Thailand and it was a bit much for us. There is a website of Langkawi which has loads of info - sorry can't find it but i came across it via google when looking to see how it was affected by the tsumami.

So its worth checking out the climate for the time you are going to travel (thats if it bothers you) - its made me change for a stopover in Singapore and travelbag were good on the phone.
Good point! Never thought of that. We honeymooned in Mexico and the rainy season came early. Blazing sun until 3pm then storms for 3 hours every day. We still had plenty of time to sunbathe and it was dry when we went out for dinner. Just had to have a sleep in the afternoon.

Sent you your first Karma for that.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ali south
I had this trouble too, so I phoned ebookers and got a better price than online!
Agree - I go to Oz via KL every year and ebookers consistently give the best price. You can't book stopovers on their website - you have to call them.

I just got a business class return though them for August for £2,100. Malaysia airlines quoted over £6,000 for the same flights, so don't go directly to them!!

Phil