Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stopover in Singapore - is 2 days enough?

Stopover in Singapore - is 2 days enough?

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:08 am
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough
Smile Stopover in Singapore - is 2 days enough?

We are flying out to Brisbane for good ( ) in April. Going to do a stopover in Singapore.

Can anyone recommend the "must see" and "must do" things while we are there???

Is 2 days enough time to do it in?????

Thanks
Carole x
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:14 am
joveazey

Default Re: Stopover in Singapore - is 2 days enough?

Hi Carole,

We are doing the same thing - but going to Perth. I did a thread last week about it and most people said that there was loads to do. We are thinking of staying 3 nights. The only problem is that our little boy is 19mths and is a bit of a nightmare at the moment and I'm worried that the whole stopover thing will be traumatic rather than fun. Can't decide what to do, if we don't have a stopover then it means that one leg of our flight will be during the day, and the thought of him awake on a plane for the whole flight fills me with dread. :scared:

JO

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:26 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi Carole,

We are doing the same thing - but going to Perth. I did a thread last week about it and most people said that there was loads to do. We are thinking of staying 3 nights. The only problem is that our little boy is 19mths and is a bit of a nightmare at the moment and I'm worried that the whole stopover thing will be traumatic rather than fun. Can't decide what to do, if we don't have a stopover then it means that one leg of our flight will be during the day, and the thought of him awake on a plane for the whole flight fills me with dread. :scared:

JO
Hi Jo, we took our son (then 22 month old) to Sydney via a three day stop in Singapore. He slept really well on the plane - we did get a bulkhead seat with the cot - quite funny as his legs were hanging over the end of it, but he slept like a dream. The worst bit was whenever we hit turbulence we had to put him back on our laps! The stewardesses were sooooo helpful (Singapore airlines)

There is a lot to do (before the humidity and jet lag wilts you!). I remember eating a lot of delicious food. If you like Indian food, the Indian quarter is a must! Sentosa Island, the Zoo, theres a fab area on the coast (with surreal views of super tankers) with picturesque beaches where all the seafood restuarants are. Can't remember its name though! Enjoy.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:28 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cagandchris
We are flying out to Brisbane for good ( ) in April. Going to do a stopover in Singapore.

Thanks
Carole x
Sentosa was interesting as was the city itself. I remember a boat cruise but can't remember where we went!
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 10:15 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Carole x
2 full days is an absolute minimum. You probably want a whole day on Sentosa and even with the excellent underground system you will struggle to see everything else in a day. I would recommend another day at least so you can take your time and enjoy it. The night safari is a must do too.

I would also recommend getting up at 7am and getting most of your sightseeing in early before it gets too hot.

Here are a few photos to whet your appetite

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/iain_sa.../Singapore.htm
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:12 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Wink Re: Stopover in Singapore - is 2 days enough?

We are flying out to Brisbane for good in April. Going to do a stopover in Singapore.

Thanks
Carole x
G'day Carole

I lived in Singers for five years (as a child) and THAT wasn't enough!!

Not been back for a few years now, so I'm out of date, but there always was loads to do. It's a great place. Some others have given some good tips on places to go, etc, above - I'd take their advice; the more time you can spend there the better, I'd say.

Also, the longer the stopover there, the less chance of jetlag when you land in Oz. No point in looking back on it and wishing you'd spent an extra day or two, eh?!!

It's not that cheap to go again from Brissie (although you do see 'special' airfares from time to time), so make the most of it, is my advice.

See you when you get here.

Cheers,
Chris

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:23 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ProofReader
G'day Carole

I lived in Singers for five years (as a child) and THAT wasn't enough!!
I lived there as a child as well - where where you?
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:28 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

Thanks folks!

I will look at your thread too Jo!

Think we will go for the 3 nights!

....can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone recommend a good hotel???

Carole
Old Feb 24th 2005, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Stopover in Singapore - is 2 days enough?

Thanks folks!

I will look at your thread too Jo!

Think we will go for the 3 nights!

....can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone recommend a good hotel???

Carole
We stayed in Singapore for 3 nights at the Carlton lovely hotel with great outdoor pool and lots of restaurants nearby. We went with singapore airlines, if you join their krisflyer frequent flyer programme you can get the hotels cheaper. We paid 20quid each per night including transfers from the airport. Arrived in Brisbane with no jet lag!!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 2:50 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazz
We stayed in Singapore for 3 nights at the Carlton lovely hotel with great outdoor pool and lots of restaurants nearby. We went with singapore airlines, if you join their krisflyer frequent flyer programme you can get the hotels cheaper. We paid 20quid each per night including transfers from the airport. Arrived in Brisbane with no jet lag!!
I did exactly that too! Same hotel, 3 nights. Cheap and Brilliant!
Recommend the zoo, duckboat and shopping! Lots of shopping for designer clothes and electrical goods (very cheap cameras, batteries, memory sticks etc.)

Andrew
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Would of had a brill time shopping but it was chinese new year, good for celebrations, seeing lion dances and fireworks but very bad for shopping
Hubby laughed for 3 days!! never mind getting my own back now
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:10 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Me too, 82-86 (10-13yo) at Bukit Timah. Went to the Tanglin school for a couple of terms around 83.

I must disagree with all the praise for Sentosa, it's tackiness extraordinaire, and mostly under re-construction two months ago. Everything is hugely overpriced.

I'd suggest the Zoo & night safari, bit of shopping on Orchard, trip to changi war museum, a stroll round the botanical gardens, maybe a trip to the Jurong bird park and to the Raffles hotel - though the dreadful Singapore Sling is worth missing out on.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

mamichelle is on a distinguished road

Thanks
Carole x
I'm not sure whether 2 days would be enough.... But the things we enjoyed were definitely the night safari, and we had "Breakfast with the birds" at the Jurong bird park. Walking around the different areas was fascinating - especially little India and the area around the Mosque. And of course you have to see Raffles. The area by the ocean has lots of nice looking restaurants too. Have fun.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:58 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl

Leonie Hill, but I have no clear memory of roads and getting to and from places - just being AT places! I remember the Singapore Swimming Club, Tanglin School, Cold Storage, Raffles, etc.

I started primary school in Singers, but finished it in Kent, UK.

Old Feb 24th 2005, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

easygroove is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Leonie Hill, but I have no clear memory of roads and getting to and from places - just being AT places! I remember the Singapore Swimming Club, Tanglin School, Cold Storage, Raffles, etc.

I started primary school in Singers, but finished it in Kent, UK.

Me too........I started at Tanglin juniors in 81 and was there until starting UWC (age 12 ish). Then came back to boarding school in Lancs. Anza footy on Saturdays, on the speed boat on Sunday!! We lived in Draycott towers, the round building next to Tanglin Club. Stopping over on our way to Sydney in a few weeks which should be interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.