Reload this Page >

To stopover or not?

To stopover or not?

Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Bod864 will become famous soon enough
Default To stopover or not?

Hi Everyone,

We got our visas in July and are looking at booking flights to Sydney in March. The plan is to go with Singapore Airlines and get the extra baggage allowance, but we are unsure whether to have a stopover for a couple of days in Singapore, or plough straight through to Sydney.

We will be travelling with two kids, aged 2 & 5, 150kg+ of luggage and a push chair! Just wondering what peoples experiences are of travelling with young children, and whether anybody has used the baggage storage company at Changi airport, Porter Xpress? They offer to store bags for s$6 each per 24hr period. Seems to be a good service but would be interested in experiences of anybody that has used them.

Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Re: To stopover or not?

You might want to check out whether in fact you're allowed to do a stopover and keep your increased baggage allowance. With Emirates you're only allowed the 50kg allowance if you don't do a stopover.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
You might want to check out whether in fact you're allowed to do a stopover and keep your increased baggage allowance.
I did a stopover with SIA and got the baggage allowance.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cookiestar
You might want to check out whether in fact you're allowed to do a stopover and keep your increased baggage allowance. With Emirates you're only allowed the 50kg allowance if you don't do a stopover.
I've checked with SIA and we just need to let them know our flight details and a copy of the visa in advance so they can allow the extra luggage allowance on the Singapore - Sydney flight
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bod864
I've checked with SIA and we just need to let them know our flight details and a copy of the visa in advance so they can allow the extra luggage allowance on the Singapore - Sydney flight
We did the stopover and it was lovely having a mini holiday before we threw ourselves in to everything else.We left most of our luggage at the airport and it was fine.Just make sure you double check your allowance all the way from Manchester.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

We had 5 days in Hong Kong and it was fabulous. Time to unwind and forget the stress of the move before forging ahead with the next bit.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a straight through-er, especially with kids. Get your 24 hours of hell over and done with in one hit and dont prolong the agony I reckon. Your kids are a bit young to be appreciating all the things that Singapore can offer, you might like to make more of a holiday of it if you go home for a holiday in the future when they can remember it.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

That's good then. If you feel you'd like a wee holiday on the way, then go for it.

I'm with quoll though - I want to get the journey over and done with as quickly as possible. Next time we fly back to Europe we'll do a stopover somewhere. For the moment I just want to get to Brisbane, and get settled there. I don't think that I'd be able to relax on a holiday (even if it were possible with Emirates and the baggage allowance)
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Yes . . . . I mean no . . . . arrrghhhhhhh! . . . .

why can't I just make a decision and stick to it!!!!! . . . sob . . . sob . . .
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
Yes . . . . I mean no . . . . arrrghhhhhhh! . . . .

why can't I just make a decision and stick to it!!!!! . . . sob . . . sob . . .
Exactly where we are, we've been on the SIA website with credit card ready a dozen times before chaning our mind again
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly where we are, we've been on the SIA website with credit card ready a dozen times before chaning our mind again
"Free the shackled mind . . .

Throw the keys to heaven . . . "
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

Sentosa Island is a great place for kids - we found it a great break and helps focus the mind on a treat after all the hassles of the move.

Re luggage -we had 4 large suitcases + double buggy and there is a 'large taxi' service pretty much outside Changi arrivals so no hassle at all.

we were glad we did it and i have also tried the straight through for our reccie when we had less time
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

the baggage deposit place is fine- we have left our excess stuff a number of times, as we use MRT and taking a stroller plus loads of bags is a pain.

I am a fan of stopovers but each to their own. Our little one (2.5) copes better with a gap between flights. Lots to do in Sing too- Zoo is fab, Jurong Bird Park, Sentosa Island (and hill the other way from Sentosa on same cable car ride)...we always find enough to do.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:21 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
I'm a straight through-er, especially with kids. Get your 24 hours of hell over and done with in one hit and dont prolong the agony I reckon. Your kids are a bit young to be appreciating all the things that Singapore can offer, you might like to make more of a holiday of it if you go home for a holiday in the future when they can remember it.
+1.... I've never been a fan of the stop-over. I like to reach my destination and relax, not spend another day effectively in transit dreading the 'next leg'!

You have a choice. Have a couple of tired jetlaggy days in Singapore and then face ANOTHER long-haul flight before you finally get to your destination - or just press on and get it all dealt with.

Singapore wont go anywhere - and if you're anything like the rest of us theres a good chance that some time in the future you'll be heading back home for a holiday and a catch up with friends and relies - in which case a stop off in Singapore if you really fancy it might be better later when you dont have the stress of '1st time moving' added in the mix.

FWIW - My kids have always slept REALLY well on the second leg of the trip, not so well on the first leg (when they're excited) - so breaking the trip would spoil that!

Last edited by DadAgain; Aug 6th 2009 at 12:33 am.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies, we've finally done it and booked with a stop in Singapore.

Just got to sort the rest of the things out now, home.....school.....shipping...banking....etc....e tc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.