Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stop over in Sinapore/KL/wherever or get flight over and done with?

Wikiposts

Stop over in Sinapore/KL/wherever or get flight over and done with?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop over in Sinapore/KL/wherever or get flight over and done with?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Stopping over can become a nightmare if your bringing some mega luggage allowance as many immigrants do and juggling 2 small kids as well, especially if your going somewhere luggage security is an issue like the states. If your going to do it keep the baggage down.
Stopped over in the Pan Pacific at KL airport last week for one night but our luggage was checked through from Sydney to Manchester. We only needed to carry hand luggage.

Worth checking if it is possible to do this as it saves lugging cases around.

The other alternative is to spend a night in the airport transit hotel. There is one in KL and in Singapore.....saves having to go through customs etc.

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:31 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Hi, when you have flown to Australia do you just get the flight over and done with in one go or are people staying for a few days in Singapore/kl/dubai etc to break up the trip?

I think I would like to just get there and recover but with 2 small kids is this wise or do you recommend stopping off for a few days and break up the journey? All advice greatly received.
Depends on what the kids are like travelling. I've done both...both were good. It is nice to get a decent sleep on ya stopover though sometimes, but there again sometimes it's nice to just get to Oz as quick as ya can.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:46 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I prefer to go straight through and via HKG as it is the quickest route, approx 22.5hrs inc refuel stop. Tried stopping over but found that I could not adjust to the halfway timezone so slept very little and felt worse arriving in Sydney.
Last month I flew upto London for an overnight stop on business training, left Monday pm, arrived back Fri am. Found this reasonable as I did not adjust to UK time enough to upset me, not really a holiday though.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Hi, when you have flown to Australia do you just get the flight over and done with in one go or are people staying for a few days in Singapore/kl/dubai etc to break up the trip?

I think I would like to just get there and recover but with 2 small kids is this wise or do you recommend stopping off for a few days and break up the journey? All advice greatly received.
For us, just wanted to get there. No stopover, 6 hours at Honk Kong. I would not have slept in a hotel anyway. Our kids where 11,10,6. And they where really good and just wanted to get there. Anybody with babies, then it would be different. Denise
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:43 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, going against most of the flow I'm afraid just to confuse you.

We have done the trip three times now. The first time with a nine month old baby (return to UK, ie Sydney and back to UK). The second time with a 3yo and a 5yo (return trip again but to Perth) and then when we moved here (Melbourne) with a 5yo and 7yo. Each time we flew all the way through and it was fine, no faffing around trying to adjust to 2 different time zones, it would have killed me having to book in places and chill all the time thinking I've got to do it all tomorrow, what if we miss our flight etc...

We just write off a full day but think it will all be over in 24 hours and like I've posted a few times, my sister in law gave me the best advice when flying from Chicago to London with a 1 week old, 18 month and a 3 yo without her hubby:

"It is one day, if the kids eat crap for 1 day it won't give them any lasting damage, If they have a little less sleep for 1 day, they will get over it and If you are sat near unchild friendly people on the plane and your kids aren't the angels they normally are, well you will probably never see those people on the plane again so don't worry what they think just get through the flight"

if you want to have a bit of a holiday on the way, go for a stopover but if it's just your journey I would get it over and done with every time. Oh the Perth trip was a doddle as it's about 4 hours less than Syd and Melb.

Good Luck, it's really not that bad.

Louise