Reload this Page >

Stop-over in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore

Stop-over in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore

Old Jan 13th 2007, 7:39 am
Just Joined

mdickerson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stop-over in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore

Hi folks,

We will be moving over to Sydney in mid feb - so far looks like we will be able to get a cheaper one-way stop-over flight with Malaysian airlines over Singapore airlines. (2 adults, 2 young kids - cost difference of round 630GBP, though Singapore airlines does throw in other benefits, which are difficult to value )

How does Kuala Lumpur compare to Singapore as a stopover location. Is their more to see and do, which has a stronger Asian feel and which is more expensive.

Also do you know if Malaysian Airlines offers the 40KG Baggage allowance.

Have decided no more procrastination am buying the tickets this weekend so you comments will be much appreciated

Thanks Matthew.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:15 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop-over in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore

Originally Posted by mdickerson
Hi folks,

We will be moving over to Sydney in mid feb - so far looks like we will be able to get a cheaper one-way stop-over flight with Malaysian airlines over Singapore airlines. (2 adults, 2 young kids - cost difference of round 630GBP, though Singapore airlines does throw in other benefits, which are difficult to value )

How does Kuala Lumpur compare to Singapore as a stopover location. Is their more to see and do, which has a stronger Asian feel and which is more expensive.

Also do you know if Malaysian Airlines offers the 40KG Baggage allowance.

Have decided no more procrastination am buying the tickets this weekend so you comments will be much appreciated

Thanks Matthew.

Singapore is clean tidy efficient
KL is not - but is more authentic

If travelling with kids or being limited to just a few days I would go via Singapore and enjoy Sentosa and the Zoo. Once settled you can have a longer stay in KL and Malaysia, because there is alot to see and take in.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all
Smile Re: Stop-over in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore

Hi

We have stayed in KL and Singapore.
Both are beautiful cities although KL is much more smoggy and doesnt look as clean but that may have something to do with the large amount of traffic on the road day and night. Both hot and humid. We liked both.
In KL we stayed in the Grand Plaza Park Royal which was very central and a nice hotel. We did a walking tour round the city and it was fascinating. There are lots of "hawker" stalls that serve amazing food - Malaysian style and for a small amount of money and they sell beer (mainly Carlsberg), wine is expensive - would recommend these. The Patronas Towers is a must but leave your credit cards at home as the shopping centre underneath has Gucci, Prada, D&G, Bose, Tiffanys, TV shops with 70" Plasmas!! The markets are fab for cheap DVD's about 80p each (1/2 of which is not in the UK yet - all ours worked) Gameboys and PSP's, etc were good prices and their games.
In Singapore we stayed in the Shangri La just off Orchard Road - fab hotel. We bought a camera from one of the market stalls underneath Orchard Road for a fraction of the price in the UK (and it wasnt out yet in the UK). There are lots to do round Singapore and the tours are good. We only ate out once at a bizarre food place (like market stalls) which was a set price and you had lots of different food types in the different stalls to choose from - was tasty but v busy. Beer and wine not too expensive.

Hope this helps
Watty'n'Arls
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:45 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer KL over Singapore. As previously posted, KL is less septic than Singapore and much more authentic.

The Shangri la in KL is good value for money and nice.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:24 am
Just Joined

mdickerson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback you have given me. KL would have been my first choice except that it turns out that Malaysian Airlines does not offer the 40Kg baggage allowance so will have to stick with Singapore.

Cheers -Matthew.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysian will give you 30kg I think, obviously check with them but that is what we are getting.

We are stopping in KL for about 48 hours - aside from cheap food and bargain dvds, are there any must-dos/must-sees to schedule in whilst we're there?
We have a choice of hotels, so should we pick one in the middle of everything or on the outskirts? I would love a peaceful pool, but I've heard that the public transport is not that good and we only have a limited time there anyway....

Decisions, decisions!

(If I focus on the 48 hrs in KL then I don't have to think so much about the bigger picture, like what job am I going to aim for and what will I do all day every day with no friends!!? )
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:41 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Been to both KL and Singapore a couple of times. I would suggest KL, although we are also moving out end of February and we are spending another week in Singapore (for no other reason than Singapore Airlines gto us a good deal on hotels)