Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stomach is already doing loop the loops - beginner advise needed.

Stomach is already doing loop the loops - beginner advise needed.

Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:53 pm
errm back to Perth!

FozzieBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stomach is already doing loop the loops - beginner advise needed.

Hi All,

Spent the last 3 days trawling the forums ( the last 12 months trawling the net ) for information and firstly I'd like to say it's great to find this place!

After 6 months of serious cogitating we've made our first big step and contacted gomatilda to help us make the move.

The whole process seems far too complicated for my partner and I to cope with, there's DMIAI, PR, 457's and a world of other anachronisms to deal with for a start!

We have relaitves in Perth already (Uncle) who have been out there for over 10 years and are aiming to move out to that area. We have a daughter of 19 months so will be considering schooling and the "best for her".

I am an 'IT Professional' - Web Programmer/Designer with UK Honours Degree and my partner is at managerial level but with no formal qualifications. We will have about £100K collateral to move out with initially and will be renting while we find our feet and jobs.

Noone has a magic wand or a crystal ball but I'd welcome opinions on whether we are prepared enough for this fiscally. Prepared mentally is I guess harder to say, only we know that.

Oh, and as the title says - We aren't even on the first rung and my stomach is churning with thoughts both good and bad!

Any help advise is much appreciated.

Fozzie.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:04 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stomach is already doing loop the loops - beginner advise needed.

Originally Posted by FozzieBear
Hi All,

Spent the last 3 days trawling the forums ( the last 12 months trawling the net ) for information and firstly I'd like to say it's great to find this place!

After 6 months of serious cogitating we've made our first big step and contacted gomatilda to help us make the move.

The whole process seems far too complicated for my partner and I to cope with, there's DMIAI, PR, 457's and a world of other anachronisms to deal with for a start!

We have relaitves in Perth already (Uncle) who have been out there for over 10 years and are aiming to move out to that area. We have a daughter of 19 months so will be considering schooling and the "best for her".

I am an 'IT Professional' - Web Programmer/Designer with UK Honours Degree and my partner is at managerial level but with no formal qualifications. We will have about £100K collateral to move out with initially and will be renting while we find our feet and jobs.

Noone has a magic wand or a crystal ball but I'd welcome opinions on whether we are prepared enough for this fiscally. Prepared mentally is I guess harder to say, only we know that.

Oh, and as the title says - We aren't even on the first rung and my stomach is churning with thoughts both good and bad!

Fozzie.
Good luck to you. By the sounds of it, you'll breeze through - especially if you're in IT. Although I have to say, that whilst IT is on the demand list, I have heard that getting IT jobs is v. hard. Don't know if anybody else has heard this?

You've got plenty of cash to get you started and will keep you 'comfortable' just in cast you can't find jobs straight away.

My wife and I are taking just a little under that and we are more than confident in making the big move. We've finished the whole process now and just need to get out there. The one biggest thing that surprised me about the process was the speed at which everything went through.

We attended the 'Emigrate' exhibition last Feb at Sandown and all the so-called experts were talking about a 12 month turnaround from sending the actual visa application off.

However, all applications lodged after July 1st are going through at break neck speed and we got our visa within 10 months of even thinking of going to Oz!!

Rob
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Fozzie,
You and Animal were my favourites.
Welcome to the forum.

I think the best advice I can give you for now is to read, read, read.

Those acronyms will be rolling off your tongue in no time.

Just resarch as much as possible....through these pages is as good a place as you will find....but remember life is all about opinions so you will find plenty of that too.

Ask any specific questions when you feel ready
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:08 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Stomach is already doing loop the loops - beginner advise needed.

Originally Posted by Bix
Fozzie,
You and Animal were my favourites.
Welcome to the forum.

I think the best advice I can give you for now is to read, read, read.

Those acronyms will be rolling off your tongue in no time.

Just resarch as much as possible....through these pages is as good a place as you will find....but remember life is all about opinions so you will find plenty of that too.

Ask any specific questions when you feel ready
Agree with the above point, all the acronyms become a part of your daily vocabulary. Don't let it phase you - half of them probably won't be relevant anyway!!

Rob
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:10 pm
errm back to Perth!

Thanks for the replies, look forwards to some more opinions

@samnrob - do you have jobs out there waiting for you? Who did you use as your Visa agent , or did you do it all yourselves?

Fozzie
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:11 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

First of all, let it be known that I'm not in Aus (that pleasure comes in a few weeks!), then you can make of this post what you will.

Hubbie and I have nowhere near that amount of money to take with us. However, we're not expecting to be able to maintain the same lifestyle that we live over here - certainly not initially and maybe not even in the long term. But we're prepared to accept that career-wise and financially speaking, moving to Sydney is going to be a 'backwards step' for us.

We're planning to move into a hostel initially, before renting somewhere in Glebe, which (I believe) is not such a great area of Sydney (being in the inner west). It's a case of being prepared to do what we can to make what we have stretch as far as it will! Which is also why we'd consider bar work etc (even though we're both degree qualified - hubbie works as a Process Engineer, me as a Project Manager) to start off with.

My point being, what are you expecting your £100K to buy you?

GG

Hi All,

Fozzie.

Last edited by Geordie George; Jan 10th 2005 at 1:14 pm. Reason: It would seem I can't spell.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:17 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Thanks for the replies, look forwards to some more opinions

@samnrob - do you have jobs out there waiting for you? Who did you use as your Visa agent , or did you do it all yourselves?

Fozzie
Hi Fozzie,

Neither have jobs to go to...and you know what...that doesn't scare us one bit. I think for us - that is part of the adventure (the unknown).

As far as migration agents are concerned...my personal opinion is that they are a waste of money...that is unless your visa chances are unclear. Being in IT, and dare I say of decent intelligence, the forms shouldn't cause you any concern as long as you've done your research.

Throwing £2,000 at an agent seems very expensive for what they do. I guess it also depends on other factors but for us (mid-20's, no kids, degrees, good health) it seemed pointless.

Rob
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:18 pm
errm back to Perth!

Initially we are looking to rent a place (6 months??) till we get employment so the money in that respect will be a bit of a buffer or safety net.

All being well and we get employment we will be looking to buy a property and this is were the majority of the case is aimed - a house with as little left on the mortgage as is possible (none would be great but we can all dream).

We don't mind a "struggle" and don't expect it to be a walk in the park we just want to be comfortable.

Fozzie
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:22 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Initially we are looking to rent a place (6 months??) till we get employment so the money in that respect will be a bit of a buffer or safety net.

All being well and we get employment we will be looking to buy a property and this is were the majority of the case is aimed - a house with as little left on the mortgage as is possible (none would be great but we can all dream).

We don't mind a "struggle" and don't expect it to be a walk in the park we just want to be comfortable.

Fozzie
Just to make my above comments on migration agents more constructive - we attended the Emigrate show and went to seminars in which agents just re-iterated the information on the immi.gov.au site.

Granted the site can appear a minefield of information but if you work through it strategically then it will be a breeze. Just take each part of the process in your own time and double check everything - if you decide to do it alone.

Rob
Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Oreo is an unknown quantity at this point

As Rob rightly pointed out - best to seek Migration assistance if your chances are unclear or if you have unique circumstances.

Having said that, I've noticed that a lot of people are stressing about running their own migration applications. On top of all the additional factors eg. "The Move", the idea of spending hours on the NEt researching and then hours running about getting all the right documents to fill, then more hours double checking on the forum that you have the right stuff in the right order...for many, I've noticed that the mere convenience of having someone else take on your headache is worth the extra bob!

True some migration agents charge way too much for the work they do - it pays to use only QUALIFIED and experienced agents.

There are cost efficient and reliable agents out there...Email me if anyone wants me to recommend someone.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:24 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the maelstrom.

It's a long haul and it can be a complicated one.

Paying an agent may well be worth it. A good one will give you a rough timeline, will nag you to make sure you fill in the right forms and pay the right people the right money at the right time. This can reduce your stress level drastically! (A bad one will take your money and run.)

No-one can be guaranteed a job. There are far too many IT people coming here and you may find that you need an unusual area of expertise to find work or sponsorship (and I speak as one who made it in... just); certainly Web Programmers/Designers are ten-a-penny here as they are everywhere (I'm not denigrating your skills; on paper mine are ostensibly ten-a-penny too).

Good luck. You'll find no shortage of support and very varied opinions here!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:34 am
errm back to Perth!

I'm hoping that some of the stuff in my folio is enough to make me stand out from the rest and I'm confident enough to "go for it!" but only time will tell and of course there are other jobs you can get I'm sure and there's always freelance / contract work.

What area do you work in MarkmyWords?

Thanks,

Fozzie
Old Jan 11th 2005, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Sarahj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Fozzie.

Hi Fozzie,
I'm new to this site also (but it has to be the best one I have come across)

I'm also looking to settle in Australia but have tried the tests on the net and don't qualify (not enough points)

I've phoned one of the agents in the UK that was recommended and he said I have no chance as I do not have any post secondary education.

Is it really that hard to emigrate to Australia - any advice would really be appreciated as I am feeling pretty down now.

S
Old Jan 11th 2005, 1:27 pm
errm back to Perth!

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear about that. I'm hoping to get through on post secondary education and from the tests i've done I have enough points to get there with it. So fingers x'd.

I've only just started the process so can't offer any advice except you may have to plan a bit further ahead and get some educational stuff that will give you more points etc.

Here's hoping someone may have an alternative for you.

Fozzie
Old Jan 11th 2005, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Sarahj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear about that. I'm hoping to get through on post secondary education and from the tests i've done I have enough points to get there with it. So fingers x'd.

I've only just started the process so can't offer any advice except you may have to plan a bit further ahead and get some educational stuff that will give you more points etc.

Here's hoping someone may have an alternative for you.

Fozzie
Thanks Fozzie,

Good luck with it all (you lucky thing)
S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.