Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stolen dogs - suggestions?

Stolen dogs - suggestions?

Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:15 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stolen dogs - suggestions?

Originally Posted by eddie007
but When was the last time anyone brought a puppy from a petshop in the uk?

There is a bill here. Contact Clover Moore for more info.

http://www.clovermoore.com/main/?id=1358
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
There is a bill here. Contact Clover Moore for more info.

http://www.clovermoore.com/main/?id=1358
thanks for that... both our boys (ok so lecky is a gurlie, but we dont tell her that) are rescues... as is tabbyfur... thinking we live in rockingham it was MOST appropriate to have a ferral cat... they've all been neutered and chipped... tabbyfur's been tattooed too
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
oklie doklie Sam, totally horrified by the story of what's happened to your friends puppies... any home invasion and theft is a frightening and nasty thing and even if the intruders only stole a used teabag I would personally like to see them strung up by the short n curlies just for the principle of the offence

But this does raise an issue .. probably NOT the thread to talk about it on.. becasue this thread is about your mate and their problem...

but When was the last time anyone brought a puppy from a petshop in the uk? or without seeing the parent(s)??? Here it's still acceptable, common practice... as are puppy/kitten farms... the whole trade in pets needs updating ... perhaps if there were fewer outlets for unidentifieable puppies there would be fewer thefts?

edsxxx
I know, I would never buy a puppy without seeing the parents, although saying that Rocky was 4 months old when we got him and he was rescue.

My friend has both parents of the puppies though, thats what made it worse - the mother dog barking her head off as she was behind a baby gate in the laundry and the puppies were in another room

I hate seeing puppies/kittens in pet shop windows - have you noticed just how many animals there are for sale and even in the free section of the Quokka?

Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

What was the outcome PP?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 12:01 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
What was the outcome PP?
Funny you should ask that, two weeks ago the guy come in to tell me the puppies were never found.

He has since bred from his dog and wont allow puppy viewings unless he is in the house with his wife.

God knows what happened to these puppies,
Old Sep 25th 2010, 12:01 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Sympathise over the home invasion/theft etc, but why on earth is he breeding from the dog again in the same year, thats really bad practice, i know in the uk you cannot register 2 litters of pups from one bitch in one calendar year as the bitch hasnt recovered and the second litter will be 'inferior/inclined to having defects'.
i knew and loathed people in the uk who bred pups purely for money...
Originally Posted by Professional Princess

He has since bred from his dog and wont allow puppy viewings unless he is in the house with his wife.

Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Sympathise over the home invasion/theft etc, but why on earth is he breeding from the dog again in the same year, thats really bad practice, i know in the uk you cannot register 2 litters of pups from one bitch in one calendar year as the bitch hasnt recovered and the second litter will be 'inferior/inclined to having defects'.
I dont know but one thing I have noticed, is that dogs are bred from far later than I have ever seen in the UK.

At the vets last year, I saw a guy with a bitch - I cant remember the exact age but she was over 6 years old, and had just had pups, she was exhausted and looked it as well and he was telling me that he will keep taking pups from her until she can do it no longer and he sells them off to farms.

I have also been called cruel (by men) for desexing my kelpie, the blokes here have a real complex and said 'you are changing his personality' It took all my strength not to laugh, I was taught at college that only really simple people believe that.

They dont seem to care about sexual frustration, the ability and need to roam to look for a mate/shag, the risk of various cancers/health problems.

I actually thought he was joking, thinking noone says that nowadays but apparantly they do.

And the other one 'having a litter calms them down' - my god if we preached that as nurses in the UK, we would be struck off.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Sorry, that's not true. Here are current guidelines:

Before thinking about breeding from your bitch, you should acquaint yourself with the Kennel Club Rules and Regulations on registering litters and the registration system in general. You will need to remember that the Kennel Club will not accept an application to register a litter when:
a) The bitch has already whelped six litters, or
b) The bitch was under a year old at the date of mating, or
c) The bitch has already reached the age of eight years at the date of whelping.
d) The offspring are the result of any mating between father and daughter, mother and son or brother and sister, save in exceptional circumstances or for scientifically proven welfare reasons.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

The Randalls will become famous soon enough

Actually, the UK KC guidelines also state:

Q. My bitch has had 2 litters within a 12 month period, can I register the litter?

A. The Kennel Club does not endorse this and would recommend at least a year is given between litters, however we do understand that in situations of accidents or if a bitch has irregular seasons, a second application will be accepted. Breeders who breed four or more litters per year must be licensed by their local authority. Breeders with fewer litters must also be licensed if they are carrying out a business of breeding dogs for sale.

Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999

Licensed breeders must:

* Not mate a bitch less than 12 months old.
* Not whelp more than six litters from a bitch.
* Not whelp two litters within a 12 month period from the same bitch.
* Keep accurate records.
* Not sell a puppy until it is at least eight weeks of age, other than to a keeper of a licensed pet shop or Scottish rearing establishment.

I guess this information above is by the by really, so sorry for tagging onto a thread that has been 'done', so to speak.
I work at my local rescue/shelter and I have to say the state of the whole puppy & pet 'thing' in this country beggars belief, but really isn't too much different to the UK (apart from still allowing pet shop puppy sales).
This thread piqued my interest particularly as we've recently had two male, chocolate Shar Pei puppies dumped outside the gates. (I'm in Qld though). Thankfully one is now in a new home and the other in foster care until such time as he is ready for a new home.
Pleased to say that Qld are trying to ban puppy pet shop sales...
PP your friend must have been extremely scared, I hope that they've recovered from it. Very sad situation all round.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Going off slightly......
I work for an animal refuge up in Queensland and it never ceases to amaze me how easily local people give up there animals because of ..... moving or change in circumstances......
Had a guy in yesterday who tried to surrender his 5 month old pure golden retriever with a sore leg........... when I contacted the vets the vet told me that this guy had refused to pay his bill and the injury would properly need surgery. Now this pup had properly cost him in the region of $600 and it appalled me that because it now needed surgery he could palm it off on the animal refuge. Anyway I contacted him and told him he had to come and get the dog as we couldn't possible re home an injured dog with these problems and he just shrugged and said well you have to try eh? I nearly flattened him there and then...... Turns out he took the dog straight to the vets and had it euthanized. Bloody shame. Would he have had his kid put to sleep if it was ill and you had to pay for treatment. ........... Makes me so angry.
Sorry rant over......
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookster
Going off slightly......
I work for an animal refuge up in Queensland and it never ceases to amaze me how easily local people give up there animals because of ..... moving or change in circumstances......
Had a guy in yesterday who tried to surrender his 5 month old pure golden retriever with a sore leg........... when I contacted the vets the vet told me that this guy had refused to pay his bill and the injury would properly need surgery. Now this pup had properly cost him in the region of $600 and it appalled me that because it now needed surgery he could palm it off on the animal refuge. Anyway I contacted him and told him he had to come and get the dog as we couldn't possible re home an injured dog with these problems and he just shrugged and said well you have to try eh? I nearly flattened him there and then...... Turns out he took the dog straight to the vets and had it euthanized. Bloody shame. Would he have had his kid put to sleep if it was ill and you had to pay for treatment. ........... Makes me so angry.
Sorry rant over......
What a knob. But what kind of vet would euthanise an otherwise healthy animal?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RenShen
I agree....the RSPCA would have helped too.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Totally agree with you. One of our dogs was neglected, the vet we took her to advised us to get her put down, She was only 10 weeks old, we fell in love with her and we are so glad we didn't take this vets advice. The pictures here will show that she is a happy dog now. We love her to bits the vets bills have been huge but no where as huge as the love our dog gives us. She is still paralised in her back legs but try telling that to her, she is georgeous.
These pics are from when got her,This is how she actually sits up, after her op and when she is on the beach, she is such a cutie
Attached Thumbnails Stolen dogs - suggestions?-imgp1341.jpg   Stolen dogs - suggestions?-imgp1433.jpg   Stolen dogs - suggestions?-imgp1543.jpg  
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:38 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a very long time since i had any involvement with the kennel club in uk, bout 12 yrs...
i find it really sad to see the pups in petshops, i hope they ban it country wide soon.
I often get approached by guys with mastiff/staffies etc on walks/the beach asking if i want a male for my dog, shes a ridgeback x rottie, saying theyd make lovely pups/their dog is frustrated, i've never considered breeding her, she was desexed asap and is a happy healthy girl.
It amazes me too when you look in the newspaper, the giveaways etc, 7yr olds plus good with kids, moving inerstate....grrr a dogs for life not just til your fed up with it...