Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

STNI vs SIR tax question

STNI vs SIR tax question

Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile STNI vs SIR tax question

(posted also on the immigration forum but with no response yet.....)

I have in front of me a document from the Victorian government entitled "Differences between STNI and SIR visas".

It states that (and I quote verbatim) "Temporary residents are taxed at a higher rate than permanent residents".

This differs from the way I have interpreted the ATO website - that your immigration position is irrelevant for tax - it is whether ATO class you as "being resident in Australia for tax purposes" that determines your rate of tax.

Have the Victorian government got it wrong? Or can someone explain what they might mean?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: STNI vs SIR tax question

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
(posted also on the immigration forum but with no response yet.....)

I have in front of me a document from the Victorian government entitled "Differences between STNI and SIR visas".

It states that (and I quote verbatim) "Temporary residents are taxed at a higher rate than permanent residents".

This differs from the way I have interpreted the ATO website - that your immigration position is irrelevant for tax - it is whether ATO class you as "being resident in Australia for tax purposes" that determines your rate of tax.

Have the Victorian government got it wrong? Or can someone explain what they might mean?

Thanks

Buzzy

With respect to the Victoria government, the ATO is the place to get advice on income tax matters.

Jeremy
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: STNI vs SIR tax question

Originally Posted by JAJ
With respect to the Victoria government, the ATO is the place to get advice on income tax matters.

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy - as I suspected.

Cheers

Buzzy