Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

STNI requirements

STNI requirements

Old Jul 27th 2002, 3:21 am
Just Joined

derekcwf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default STNI requirements

I have heard about that application under Skilled-State Territory Nominated Independent (STNI) to Austrailia will be processed faster.

Is there any requirement, such as I have to live in the destination place for at least 2 years after visa granted, and so on ?

How fast will be application under this category ?

Thanks for your reading.
Old Jul 31st 2002, 10:21 am
Jaj

Default Re: STNI requirements

>On 27 Jul 2002 04:20:03 GMT, derekcwf <[email protected]> wrote: I have heard
    >about that application under Skilled-State Territory Nominated Independent (STNI) to
    >Austrailia will be processed faster.
    >
    >Is there any requirement, such as I have to live in the destination place for at
    >least 2 years after visa granted, and so on ?

There is a *moral* obligation to settle in the sponsoring state/territory.

>
    >How fast will be application under this category ?

I think 4-6 months is pretty typical. But you need to get an STNI nomination first.

Jeremy

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 2:46 am
Just Joined

derekcwf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Jeremy.

Another question I would like to ask - how can I get STNI nomination ? Is that filling the information in the skill matching scheme should be the first step or other way?

Derek.
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 6:22 am
Jaj

You can only get STNI by applying for Skilled Independent. If you meet the pool mark
(currently 70) you are eligible for an STNI nomination. As part of the process, you
fill out the Skill Matching section, which comes as a free add-on to the Skilled
Independent category.

But don't count on STNI - there aren't that many nominations.

As you have to pay the application fee up-front, it's only advisable in general to
apply for Skilled Independent/STNI if you have the pass mark.

If you don't have the pass mark, it's generally better to apply for Skill Matching
directly. Applying for skill matching gives you access to a visa class similar to
STNI, and also to the possibility of employer nomination. The advantage is that you
pay nothing (other than the skill assessment fee) to lodge your application, only
paying the fee if a nomination comes up.

The disadvantage with going for Skill Matching directly is that you stand no chance
of getting a visa if the pass mark drops within 2 years, although realistically this
is only a consideration for those on 110 points (and a drop in the passmark is very
much an outside chance).

If you want to lobby more actively for a regional nomination, the Victoria and SA
websites are at: http://www.migration.vic.gov.au http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au

Personally I think the way the regional schemes have been set up is rather ad-hoc and
confusing to the applicant, but so far no move to rationalise them has been made.

Jeremy

>On 3 Aug 2002 04:28:13 GMT, derekcwf <[email protected]> wrote: Thank
    >you Jeremy.
    >
    >Another question I would like to ask - how can I get STNI nomination ? Is that
    >filling the information in the skill matching scheme should be the first step or
    >other way?
    >
    >Derek.
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

We have had a email this week from the STNI scheme saying that they have received our info about ourselves. (Hopefully we'll get nominated now, fingers crossed). We have read the fact sheet on the subject and it say's that it's not to restrict the free movement of people, but it does'nt really apply to us as we want to settle in Adelaide.

The fact sheet is available to see at

http://groups.msn.com/Australiaherewecome

Good luck hope this helps

Julie
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point

Derek it might be worth sending both state gov's an email enquiring about their state and stating what you do and what your about, if you have had your assesment tell them.
We did this in Feb this year as part of our research and SA offered STNI the day before we had lodged the app, so that means they never got to pick up our info off the skill matching part of the SK47. Anyway hope this makes sense to you and helps.

Paul :lecture:
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 4:20 pm
Peter Tomo

JAJ,

thanks for good info about STNI and Skill Matching. Thanks go to Ptlabs and
Alan Collett.

JAJ, you mentioned earlier that Skill Matching (no Indpendent Sk) applications aren't
in job hunt. Does it mean they are separate/ marked in Skill Matching DB as "not
point tested"? I didn't see any difference on Skill Match DB website.

I quote an interesting/confusing part from an email I got from SA Business and
Skilled Migration Unit. What does the following mean?

> Please note that to be able to use the service packages provided under the
    > Immigration SA Program you need to have obtained the appropriate visa from
    > DIMIA. You must also contact the Department of Industry Investment and Trade for
    > an application form that must completed and faxed to our office at least 4
    > weeks before your arrival.

Old Aug 4th 2002, 1:20 am
Jaj

>On 3 Aug 2002 08:20:22 -0700, [email protected] (Peter Tomo) wrote: JAJ,
    >
    >thanks for good info about STNI and Skill Matching. Thanks go to Ptlabs and
    >Alan Collett.
    >
    >JAJ, you mentioned earlier that Skill Matching (no Indpendent Sk) applications
    >aren't in job hunt.

You must mean not in the points test race

> Does it mean they are separate/ marked in Skill Matching DB as "not point tested"?
    > I didn't see any difference on Skill Match DB website.

It doesn't affect the skill matching DB. Let's suppose in a year's time the pass mark
dropped from 115 to 110 (which I think is unlikely, so don't quote me on this).

What would happen then is that Independent SK applications in the pool on 110 points
would all get visas even if they had had no luck with the skill matching database.
Someone who had applied for Skill Matching directly would not have had any points
assessment at all, and so would not benefit.

The pool and the Skill Matching DB are not the same. Many applications are in
both, but:
- a skilled independent applicant with 110 points who has not filled in the Skill
Matching section of the form will be in the pool, not the skill matching database
- a direct Skill Matching applicant will be on the skill matching DB, but not
in the pool.

Which means that before deciding whether to go for Skilled Independent/STNI or Skill
Matching directly, you should assess your points and decide based on the following:
115 + : Go for Skilled Independent, with a chance of STNI (subclass
136/137)105 or less: Go for Skill Matching (subclass 134)

110 exactly: Most people would still be advised to go for Skill Matching directly.
The chances of getting a regional visa are low, and the chance of the pass mark
dropping, although not zero, is not very good (based on what Canada and NZ are doing,
if they can sustain their new pass marks, then Australia's pass mark is more likely
to rise rather than fall). However, if someone can afford to lose the A$1745
application fee, and wants the outside chance of the pass mark dropping, then that's
a decision they have to take for themselves.

The aboce two paragraphs only apply to Independents. Sponsored applicants have a pass
mark of 110 but can't access STNI. The choice for them is: 110 points (or a
sponsoring relative in a designated area): Go for Skilled Australian Sponsored
(subclass 138/139) Less than 110: Go for Skill Matching (subclass 134).

Nothing stops a person putting in both a Skilled Australian Sponsored and a separate
Skill Matching application. However, if a Skill Matching nomination was made, the
applicant would have to pay the A$1745 application fee for this visa, and would not
get back the A$1745 application fee for the Skilled Australian Sponsored application.
So again, not generally a great idea unless you're one of the few people who won't
notice the impact on your bank account of paying two application fees.

>
    >I quote an interesting/confusing part from an email I got from SA Business and
    >Skilled Migration Unit. What does the following mean?
    >
    >> Please note that to be able to use the service packages provided under the
    >> Immigration SA Program you need to have obtained the appropriate visa from
    >> DIMIA. You must also contact the Department of Industry Investment and Trade for
    >> an application form that must completed and faxed to our office at least 4
    >> weeks before your arrival.

Are they talking about the 'on arrival' services they provide to new immigrants
arriving in SA?

Jeremy

Old Aug 4th 2002, 8:20 pm
Peter Tomo

>> Please note that to be able to use the service packages provided
under the
    >> Immigration SA Program you need to have obtained the appropriate
visa from
    >> DIMIA. You must also contact the Department of Industry Investment
and
    >> Trade for an application form that must completed and faxed to our
office
    >> at least 4 weeks before your arrival.

> Are they talking about the 'on arrival' services they provide to new immigrants
    > arriving in SA?

I think so. As they say, they don't search for acco/employment (except pushing
applications from Skilled DB to possible emplyers). Thus such an 'on arrival
services package' is probably some info about life in VIC, agencies, big employers,
addresses etc.

Question about 6 month work experience - the basic req. for Skilled Matching
subclass 134:
- Must it be after deeming date? No written in booklet/web.
- Must it be recent, actual emplyment?

Old Aug 4th 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

>On 4 Aug 2002 12:15:42 -0700, [email protected] (Peter Tomo) wrote:
    >
    >> Are they talking about the 'on arrival' services they provide to new immigrants
    >> arriving in SA?
    >
    >I think so. As they say, they don't search for acco/employment (except pushing
    >applications from Skilled DB to possible emplyers). Thus such an 'on arrival
    >services package' is probably some info about life in VIC, agencies, big employers,
    >addresses etc.

Don't you mean life in SA?

>
    >Question about 6 month work experience - the basic req. for Skilled Matching
    >subclass 134:
    >- Must it be after deeming date? No written in booklet/web.

It must be skilled. Which means post deeming date.

>- Must it be recent, actual emplyment?

Yes. 6 months in the 12 months before your application is lodged.

Jeremy