STNI Queensland

Old Jan 1st 2007, 5:11 am
Just Joined

*Sigh* is an unknown quantity at this point
Default STNI Queensland

Hi,

We have been in Adelaide for nearly 2 years on a SIR 495 visa but we are hoping to move to Brisbane in 2007 on the STNI 137 Visa. I just wondered if there is anyone who is on the SIR visa in Queensland going through the permanent residency process?? It's just I can't seem to find the STNI sponsorship form on the QLD website??

Cheers
Si
Old Jan 1st 2007, 5:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: STNI Queensland

Originally Posted by *Sigh*
Hi,

We have been in Adelaide for nearly 2 years on a SIR 495 visa but we are hoping to move to Brisbane in 2007 on the STNI 137 Visa. I just wondered if there is anyone who is on the SIR visa in Queensland going through the permanent residency process?? It's just I can't seem to find the STNI sponsorship form on the QLD website??
Unlike most states, Queensland do not generally sponsor for STNI. They will only (normally) do so if a SIR holder has been sponsored by Queensland and has settled in regional Queensland.

However I would not rely on STNI sponsorship from Queensland if you just arrive in the state as a SIR holder not sponsored by them in the first place. And Brisbane is not part of "regional Queensland" so they wouldn't sponsor you there anyway.

On top of that, DIMA might well take a dim view of you leaving "regional Australia" while still on a SIR visa. Look carefully at the conditions on your SIR visa - it can be cancelled if you do not abide by these.

So be careful. You might end up having to go home if you don't get things right. Is moving to Queensland so important??

If you have an employer in Brisbane who is keen to sponsor you for permanent residence, then ENS might be an option. But get professional advice about this first as it would not work in all cases.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 5:52 am
Just Joined

*Sigh* is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unlike most states, Queensland do not generally sponsor for STNI. They will only (normally) do so if a SIR holder has been sponsored by Queensland and has settled in regional Queensland.

However I would not rely on STNI sponsorship from Queensland if you just arrive in the state as a SIR holder not sponsored by them in the first place. And Brisbane is not part of "regional Queensland" so they wouldn't sponsor you there anyway.

On top of that, DIMA might well take a dim view of you leaving "regional Australia" while still on a SIR visa. Look carefully at the conditions on your SIR visa - it can be cancelled if you do not abide by these.

So be careful. You might end up having to go home if you don't get things right. Is moving to Queensland so important??

If you have an employer in Brisbane who is keen to sponsor you for permanent residence, then ENS might be an option. But get professional advice about this first as it would not work in all cases.
Hi,

I understand your concerns however I have spoken to a migration representative from the QLD government who said they haven't a problem with sponsoring me for a STNI. Their reasoning for this was that my occupation is on the wanted list and they see my 2 years in SA as satisfying the regional criteria even though not in QLD. He also mentioned that having a STNI visa means you can live anywhere in QLD not only in the regional areas.

We wouldn't move to QLD without sponsorship that really would be foolish as for getting my company to sponsor me I am not keen to go down that route as I would be tied to the company. I am however working for a large consultancy with a office in Brisbane and they are happy for me to relocate to the Brisbane office.

Cheers
Si
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by *Sigh*
Hi,

I understand your concerns however I have spoken to a migration representative from the QLD government who said they haven't a problem with sponsoring me for a STNI. Their reasoning for this was that my occupation is on the wanted list and they see my 2 years in SA as satisfying the regional criteria even though not in QLD. He also mentioned that having a STNI visa means you can live anywhere in QLD not only in the regional areas.
Once you have STNI - yes, you can in theory live anywhere in Queensland (although there might be a moral obligation to stay in regional Queensland for 2 years). However you cannot do so while on SIR. And in order to get STNI with Queensland sponsorship, you are normally expected to be living in regional Queensland
http://www.sd.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/v3/g...l.cfm?id=23810

Remember that there are two sets of criteria to satisfy to get STNI from a SIR visa. First you must meet state government criteria for STNI. Then you must meet the DIMA criteria for STNI (which are different for SIR holders compared to new applicants).

We wouldn't move to QLD without sponsorship that really would be foolish as for getting my company to sponsor me I am not keen to go down that route as I would be tied to the company. I am however working for a large consultancy with a office in Brisbane and they are happy for me to relocate to the Brisbane office.
An ENS visa does not legally tie you to the company, although you have to be offered a 3 year contract and there might be problems if you never took up the job at all.

But ENS does have its own requirements. A job offer in itself is not enough. Download and read booklet 5.

You'd be better off asking these questions on the immigration forum as you will probably get more replies.