Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

STNI or General Skilled Visa (using MODL list)

STNI or General Skilled Visa (using MODL list)

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default STNI or General Skilled Visa (using MODL list)

I wonder if anyone can tell me what they think our best option of visa is and why?

We were going the STNI route to Adelaide as hubby is an electrician (general) and that trade is on their SOL list

BUT

His trade is being added to the new MODL list (July I understand) - should we wait and go this route?

What are the main advantages/disadvantages of each.

Thanks in advance for your views.

Karen & Co
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: STNI or General Skilled Visa (using MODL list)

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
I wonder if anyone can tell me what they think our best option of visa is and why?

We were going the STNI route to Adelaide as hubby is an electrician (general) and that trade is on their SOL list

BUT

His trade is being added to the new MODL list (July I understand) - should we wait and go this route?

What are the main advantages/disadvantages of each.

Thanks in advance for your views.

Karen & Co
STNI is a general skilled visa. The only downside of STNI is the obligation to live in the sponsoring state for 2 years.

The new MODL will take effect as soon as it is gazetted.

Jeremy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
STNI is a general skilled visa. The only downside of STNI is the obligation to live in the sponsoring state for 2 years.

The new MODL will take effect as soon as it is gazetted.

Jeremy

Thanks for the info Jeremy.

There are so many different types of Visas, could think of the correct name to give my title!!

Karen
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Sproutyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen and Co,
We are going down the STNI route. I am also a spark by trade but have moved off of the tools. This put me in funny position with regard to trade recognition. I'm not classed and electrical engineer as I have not got a degree and I'm not classed as an Electrician as I'm not practicing.
This puts me in the associate engineer bracket with is not on the demand list and is only worth 40 ponits.
Luckily my wife is a hairdressser albeit part time (20hrs+) so qualifies for STNI.
We have also been adivsed the the STNI route is quicker.

Our original plan was to move to Perth but having just visited WA we think we will have better prospects in Adelaide . Perth is beautiful but very isolated.

SA seems to be the place where the housing market is still cheap they are crying out for Brits so are willing to help you with settling in.

This is why we are going for STNI.
Hope this helps and good luck whic ever way you go.

You never Know me and your hubby could end working together!

Martin+ Family
Old Apr 24th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sproutyboy
Hi Karen and Co,
We are going down the STNI route. I am also a spark by trade but have moved off of the tools. This put me in funny position with regard to trade recognition. I'm not classed and electrical engineer as I have not got a degree and I'm not classed as an Electrician as I'm not practicing.
This puts me in the associate engineer bracket with is not on the demand list and is only worth 40 ponits.
Luckily my wife is a hairdressser albeit part time (20hrs+) so qualifies for STNI.
We have also been adivsed the the STNI route is quicker.

Our original plan was to move to Perth but having just visited WA we think we will have better prospects in Adelaide . Perth is beautiful but very isolated.

SA seems to be the place where the housing market is still cheap they are crying out for Brits so are willing to help you with settling in.

This is why we are going for STNI.
Hope this helps and good luck whic ever way you go.

You never Know me and your hubby could end working together!

Martin+ Family
Hi Martin & Co

We were origianlly thinking of going to Brisbane but were put off by the high humidity with hubby possibly being on the tools (humidity is NOT something he could cope with well!) but to go that route before the MODL option we would have had to bring his family into the equation as he has an uncle in Perth - we were 10 points short of going it alone and they would have given us an extra 15 points. However, after we visitied the Emigrate show this year we learned that electricians were on the SA wanted trade list and after much research we deciced that Adelaide was the place for us, hence the STNI decision.

I spoke to one of the girls on AdelaideBrits yesterday, they have just got back from a recce trip and said that there is LOADS of building work going on which is very reassuring. Hubby, however, is really wants to try something other than the electrical trade once we're there (maybe more managerial?) but this is something we'll have to wait until we get there to see if its logistical, thankfully we wont have a mortgage so thats one BIG expense we'll be pleased to see the back of!

Definitely keep in touch, I'll PM you with our email address and good luck with your new life adventure.

Best regards,
Karen & Co x

p.s. if you havent discovered AdelaideBrits yet the site link is http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits