Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stilton Cheese - can you get it in Oz?

Stilton Cheese - can you get it in Oz?

Old Sep 17th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Stilton Cheese - can you get it in Oz?

Does anyone know if you can buy around the Melbourne area?

cheers,
65KK
Old Sep 17th 2004, 2:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stilton Cheese - can you get it in Oz?

Ahah, a subject close to my heart! Decent cheese!!!! Where? How? Why not?
Why don't Australians like decent cheese? (I hasten to add that I exclude Tassie from this as they make and sell lovely stuff that is not available up here)

I have seen some blue cheese in Coles (Qld not Melbourne I'm afraid) but its expensive. So it is gettable, but pricey. Aussies have a fear of stuff that is not pasteurised and wholesome, so I think the mould scares them off. To get cheese of any sort with a taste that dosen't remind you of a rubber band, be prepared to pay lots of $$$$$, and to search for it. Don't be fooled by the packs labelled "Tasty" - no decent cartoon mouse would give it a second sniff.
Anyone who lives (like I did) on farm-shop type cheese should eat their fill in the UK quick...........
Old Sep 17th 2004, 2:33 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm, another way that NZ is better than Aus, then. Loadsa great cheese variety, pricey but not too pricey.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:21 pm
Badge

Even in our local povo IGA we have a cheese section - one with c.20 cheeses, one with 15...all are non yellow, and look kind of Euro and vaguely pretentious looking. I can tell they are pretentious as you only get a mouthful or so with each one.

enough choice for me.

Yet I still stick to my Coon.

Last edited by Badge; Sep 17th 2004 at 3:37 pm.

Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:27 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge

Yet I still stick to my Coon.
For basic everyday cheese, yes Coon does have some flavour and I buy the Extra Tasty one, (which equates to medium by Sainsburys standards!).
Also makes me wonder what would happen if they tried to market it in the UK under the same name though......
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:39 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Pollyana
For basic everyday cheese, yes Coon does have some flavour and I buy the Extra Tasty one, (which equates to medium by Sainsburys standards!).
Also makes me wonder what would happen if they tried to market it in the UK under the same name though......
I considered getting the light one to save calories; figured it would taste of nothing and got the regular one.

I find it very satisfying having a large 'block' of cheese with which to do cheese on toast. Shame all the tasty chevre et al only give a few mouthfuls at best.

Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:42 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Badge
I considered getting the light one to save calories; figured it would taste of nothing and got the regular one.
Don't bother - light on calories = light on taste
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:54 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
For basic everyday cheese, yes Coon does have some flavour ......................................makes me wonder what would happen if they tried to market it in the UK under the same name though......
I edited you post a little.....!

Not so much about the name of the cheese....more about the fact if you tried to market a bland brand cheese as having flavour!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:00 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Sandra
I edited you post a little.....!

Not so much about the name of the cheese....more about the fact if you tried to market a bland brand cheese as having flavour!
Yeah, I'll agree with you there! Can you imagine the riot in Sainsburys if they were reduced to selling the range of cheese available in an Aussie supermarket?! :scared:
The Bloke buys BiLo "Tasty" (trade description problem there), shredded - aka niceely grated rubber bands, and slices of "light'n'tasty"....what is it about the word TASTY that the average Australian doesn't understand?
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:17 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 65 million

cheers,
65KK
Cant say for sure about Mellie but ......... can get stilton in deli section in Coles in Perth, therefore assume Mellie it is readily available. If not PM me and will send FOC to you.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:27 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I think the first time I got myself some 'nice' cheese I was pretty happy...can find it and all that in deli's and some supermarkets.

My problem turned out to be the price....I was gobsmacked....I wanted a piece of basic Edam and when I worked it out....I had paid for half the stores shelving.

My kids now eat 'tasty bland brand'.........I sneak a sliver of cheese into the shopping ....and eat it while unpacking the rest of the bags before anyone sees it!

....ah the days of trips to France and bringing back big smelly cheese and tinned snails....!

now there is the next thread....Anyone know where I can get snails? And please do not say my garden!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 9:16 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 65 million

cheers,
65KK
Dunno about actual 'pukka' stilton, but I've become addicted to the Tassie 'Roaring Forties' blue that you can buy in Safeways deli section (along with sage derby & a few other suprisingly decent cheeses). IMO it's *better* than stilton! The 'extra sharp' cheddar in a red shiny packet is OK, too (not sure of the name).

I'm told that Queen Vic market in Melb is a good place to buy cheese, but haven't been there yet.

Anya.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Dunno about actual 'pukka' stilton, but I've become addicted to the Tassie 'Roaring Forties' blue that you can buy in Safeways deli section (along with sage derby & a few other suprisingly decent cheeses). IMO it's *better* than stilton! The 'extra sharp' cheddar in a red shiny packet is OK, too (not sure of the name).

I'm told that Queen Vic market in Melb is a good place to buy cheese, but haven't been there yet.

Anya.
I was thinking about that market too...can't remember a cheese stall, but it was a pretty big place....

Aussie food as a good reputation for quality, but alas I have to agree with y'all that this does not include their cheeses. I'm a fan of stilton too, couldn't find it anywhere...Maybe I'll move to Tas and get the good stuff!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If you want cheddar type stuff with some flavour but reasonable price try Crackerbarrel extra vintage sharp, its about $6 for half a kilo so not much more than rubber coon or tasteless tasty. And I am not a Pom, even I think our cheese sucks.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I'm not a cheese person at all so I'm not sure exactly what you can buy, but in both my local safeway stores they have 2 big fridge things (you know the ones that they stick in the middle of the floor) full of different cheeses - and that's not including the "normal" cheeses which are in the dairy section.

I can buy my Haloumi (sp?) and I know there's a huge range of european type cheeses in them too.

These are at Chirnside Park and Eastland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.