Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it still worth moving to Perth in 2019?

Is it still worth moving to Perth in 2019?

Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Jim911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it still worth moving to Perth in 2019?

I've been in Perth almost 3 months on a working holiday visa, so slightly different scenario as I know having a WHV attached can be like a "tag" for some employers, but we have really struggled to get work. Partner is also senior admin / project support in community sector, has had probably 3 interviews from over a hundred applications. We are pretty much at a point where we are heading over East instead, as being here, even outside a professional level, is not really for us. Living is unforgivably expensive, although I am a Yorkshireman, so take that as you will. :-p
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim911
I've been in Perth almost 3 months on a working holiday visa, so slightly different scenario as I know having a WHV attached can be like a "tag" for some employers, but we have really struggled to get work. Partner is also senior admin / project support in community sector, has had probably 3 interviews from over a hundred applications. We are pretty much at a point where we are heading over East instead, as being here, even outside a professional level, is not really for us. Living is unforgivably expensive, although I am a Yorkshireman, so take that as you will. :-p
Hi Jim. Being here on a WHV isn't a slightly different scenario, it's so different that any comparisons are futile. As you'd be aware, people on a WHV can't work for an employer for longer than 6 months, so you're very unlikely to be offered a position that's anything but casual/ad hoc. Very few if any professional roles fit into that category, and when you thing about it logically, no employer is going to go to the time and expense of recruiting and training a staff member knowing that they'll leave in 6 months. Just enjoy your WHV for what it's intended for - to come to Australia for a holiday, with the ability to earn a bit of money to assist the travel budget. Enjoy the rest of your time in Oz, I hope you're coping with the heat ok!
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Jim911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Jim. Being here on a WHV isn't a slightly different scenario, it's so different that any comparisons are futile. As you'd be aware, people on a WHV can't work for an employer for longer than 6 months, so you're very unlikely to be offered a position that's anything but casual/ad hoc. Very few if any professional roles fit into that category, and when you thing about it logically, no employer is going to go to the time and expense of recruiting and training a staff member knowing that they'll leave in 6 months. Just enjoy your WHV for what it's intended for - to come to Australia for a holiday, with the ability to earn a bit of money to assist the travel budget. Enjoy the rest of your time in Oz, I hope you're coping with the heat ok!
Hey there, you are indeed correct. However I believe in November the rules changed and you can now work for one employer for upto 12 months. The work you (or rather we) are likely to get is mainly high turn over hospitality, labouring or part time roles for local business.

We are enjoying the sun, just wanting to move on from WA for a while I think!

Take care.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

A reflection of the times Jim. A few years back, WHV's were indeed .getting into well paid employment. My Irish neighbour being one, now a PR, and in the process of sponsoring his Japanese girl friend. Knew others from Europe that went onto very well paid employment in the resource industry but both retuned with declining conditions to Europe about two years and two and a half ago.

Things are certainly far from on the mend here in WA, yes expensive but East Coast may prove more fertile grounds. We are limited and too small in Perth to be much else sadly.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there, you are indeed correct. However I believe in November the rules changed and you can now work for one employer for upto 12 months. The work you (or rather we) are likely to get is mainly high turn over hospitality, labouring or part time roles for local business.

We are enjoying the sun, just wanting to move on from WA for a while I think!

Take care.
If you meet the conditions you can work formore than 5 months for one employer = its not automatic
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...ork-limitation

You can work for the same employer for more than 6 months without asking permission if you work:
  • in different locations and work in any one location does not exceed 6 months
  • in plant and animal cultivation anywhere in Australia
  • in certain industries in northern Australia only
If you want to work longer than six months with one employer in any other circumstance you need to request permission.