Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Still want to go??

Still want to go??

Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:49 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough
Red face Still want to go??

Just had an interesting conversation with my hubby. I asked whether he still wanted to go to Aus. We just had our daughter's 3rd birthday party today with all the family. BIG family!!! He said Yeah......! I asked, "How much? 50/50, 60/40?? 75/25 he says. I'm more like 90/10.
But then I said, "If we don't go, we'll be like all those other people we've met, who've said "Oh, we thought about doing that 20/30 years ago, but we never did. Wish we had now!!!". What have we got to lose apart from a bit of money and a little bit of pride. Even if we have to come back with our tail between our legs, at least the parents will be happy!! but :scared:
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:52 pm
WBB

Default Re: Still want to go??

Originally posted by vicky o
Just had an interesting conversation with my hubby. I asked whether he still wanted to go to Aus. We just had our daughter's 3rd birthday party today with all the family. BIG family!!! He said Yeah......! I asked, "How much? 50/50, 60/40?? 75/25 he says. I'm more like 90/10.
But then I said, "If we don't go, we'll be like all those other people we've met, who've said "Oh, we thought about doing that 20/30 years ago, but we never did. Wish we had now!!!". What have we got to lose apart from a bit of money and a little bit of pride. Even if we have to come back with our tail between our legs, at least the parents will be happy!! but :scared:

very true, i know several couples who have tales of being 5 points short or this or that, but normally the reason they did'nt make the move was because they did'nt have the balls.

go for it, otherwise you will always wonder what might of been.

Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep the go for it attitude is one we also go with. However life has a habit of throwing curve-balls you are not always prepared for !!

Best of luck to you both.

footie chick
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mitchells is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Still want to go??

Had the same conversation with my husband today, our daughter has just turned 2 and we've just got married, so had lots of family and friends around us for a few weeks.

I'm the one that is really pushing it as I can't see what we've got to lose, as you say other than money. A few years back we went travelling around OZ and we are looking at it like that but just on a larger scale,we've decided today that we will give it ago for 3years out there as a change if anything. That is our way of looking at it and our whole way of thinking has changed, we are know really excited and can't wait, instead of thinking we will be moving to OZ forever which is really daunting.

It really gets my goat when people say 'but what if you don't like', its not the end of the world and at least we won't be saying when we're 40 or 50 'wish we'd done that when we had the chance'

Sorry for going on and bad spelling, very tired.

:scared: :scared:
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was talking to a friend of the family last year when my husband and I had the idea to emigrate.
Her life has been pretty s**t, even she admits that. Her and her husband are in their 50's now and have nothing to really show for the 30 years or so of hard graft that they've done. They still live in the same council house, still have the same money troubles and now the stress of their life is having an effect on their health.
I love this couple to bits they'll do anything for anyone but one thing they haven't done in their life is help themselves.
They had the same opportunity all those years ago as my husband and I have today. Except that back then it was only $10 for your passage to Oz.
I still remember the look in her eyes when I told her what we were thinking of doing. She willed me to go, practically shouted at me to go!! Tears fell down her face as she told me that things might have been so different if they'd have made the move.
Strangely enough I gain strength from this. I don't want to look back at my life in 30 years time and think what if....
I want to look back and think, yeh I made the most of what opportunities came my way. I have no regrets.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:01 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

This site is great. It really spurs you on, even in your darker moments. I'm sure there are more of those to come, judging by what i've read over the past few weeks.
We've got it easy, I'm beginning to think, compared with a lot of others. We've got really close friends emigrating in a couple of weeks, and by all accounts, if we can get our act together, we won't be long after them. I'm a nurse. Hee hee hee! This is the first perk of the job that I've come across. Pretty good perk though!!
Still scared though!!!:scared: :scared:
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:24 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Vicky
In 1995 we were due to immigrate. We had got to the stage of the medicals, when we found out that child number 4 was on its way. It was 3 days before I was due to undergo a vasectomy.
Panic set in. At that time we only had $50k to go with, We knew we would need a bigger house and car than originaly thought.
We backed out. I continued in my Job for 3 more years and we continually regretted our decision not to go. We were then given a job offer in the Far East. The time spent there convinced us that living abroad was the best thing that could happen to us all. Every night was spent either eating out or walking down the beach. Every minute out of work was quality time. We have had a great summer this year. But it has been the first time we have had a decent summer in I dont know how long.

Sometimes things happen for the good. This is probably one of those cases. We are much better prepared now. We know that we could fall flat on our faces, but so what if we do. Both ourselves and our children will spend time in a beautifull country. See things do things that they could only dream about doing here. What better education for their life ahead.
If all goes well as I expect it to do, then we also are the winners.

Dont make the mistake of backing out, because you will only end up in that great big line of what ifs people that backed out before you.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:31 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

Hi Tom/Donna,
Thanks for the encouragement!
Are you going to the Brighton meet? We only live up the road from you, in Lee!!!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:40 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Hi Tom/Donna,
Thanks for the encouragement!
Are you going to the Brighton meet? We only live up the road from you, in Lee!!!
Vicky
We have decided to go to the Essex meet as it is being held at Lakeside. It is only about a 15 minute drive from us. It must be the nearest one to you to.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Vicky
We have decided to go to the Essex meet as it is being held at Lakeside. It is only about a 15 minute drive from us. It must be the nearest one to you to.

Cheers.
Interested in going to the Essex meet as we are in Romford and can't wait to be in Adelaide!

Susan Rod and baby Callum
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:42 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mitchells
as I can't see what we've got to lose, as you say other than money. A few years back we went travelling around OZ and we are looking at it like that but just on a larger scale,we've decided today that we will give it ago for 3years out there as a change if anything. That is our way of looking at it and our whole way of thinking has changed, we are know really excited and can't wait, instead of thinking we will be moving to OZ forever which is really daunting.

It really gets my goat when people say 'but what if you don't like', its not the end of the world and at least we won't be saying when we're 40 or 50 'wish we'd done that when we had the chance'
This is exactly our attitude. Saying like the 3 years or so, it's much easier on the family too. When we were telling my mother in law, she first saw it as that we were gonna die, and she wouldn't see us again.

I don't see us in Oz forever, but you never know.
The thing is, we're still young (21 and 25) and have no kids, and do have a bit of money saved, so we can do what we want.
But I want kids in a few years, and I'm wondering what it'll be like, living so far from the 'grandparents'. But that's why we're saying: we'll see, who cares! We can come back, we can stay.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:48 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
Interested in going to the Essex meet as we are in Romford and can't wait to be in Adelaide!

Susan Rod and baby Callum

Hi Susan and Rod
The meeting is being arranged for the 5th of October. Contact Steve Bannister on the members forum he will send you a PM with the details.
Cheers.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:04 am
Anxiously awaiting March

Hi Tom/Donna,
When is the Essex meet? I must have missed that one! I've only seen about Brighton and Birmingham
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:05 am
Anxiously awaiting March

Hi Tom/Donna,
When is the Essex meet? I must have missed that one! I've only seen about Brighton and Birmingham
Oooopps!! Just seen it. 5th October to answer my question. Ta!!!