Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Still partly a Brit at heart?

Still partly a Brit at heart?

Old Sep 13th 2003, 9:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Still partly a Brit at heart?

Odd question this one.....Anyone know if they show Last Night of the Proms on Australian TV??? Or is this my last night of drunken singing?
I did ask the Bloke but he didn't have a clue - not being a Pom, I guess he wouldn't have noticed. And thumbs down to the BBC and Channel 4......new series of Casualty tonight- I get to see the first 7, then have to wait till about nxt April for the rest on UKTV/Foxtel, and after waiting 2 years - Channel 4 have decided to show the second series of Secret Life of Us starting this week! I get to see half, then I won't know what happens after that. Grrrrrr.......
Old Sep 13th 2003, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still partly a Brit at heart?

Originally posted by Pollyana
Odd question this one.....Anyone know if they show Last Night of the Proms on Australian TV??? Or is this my last night of drunken singing?
I did ask the Bloke but he didn't have a clue - not being a Pom, I guess he wouldn't have noticed. And thumbs down to the BBC and Channel 4......new series of Casualty tonight- I get to see the first 7, then have to wait till about nxt April for the rest on UKTV/Foxtel, and after waiting 2 years - Channel 4 have decided to show the second series of Secret Life of Us starting this week! I get to see half, then I won't know what happens after that. Grrrrrr.......

pollyanna

have been singing away on my own here as well and if i had had a flag then i would have waved it, that young girl from belfast brought a tear to my eye singing danny boy, i was blarting like a good un

arlene
Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:35 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Glad I'm not alone Arlene. I'm normally a tough little (?) cookie, but Last Night is special isn't it. My Welsh bit got me during "All Through the Night" then Danny Boy came along and finished me off.
My dad sang it at an Eisteddfod in mid-Wales when he was about 12, then my nephew (aged 10) learnt it last year and does a rendition worthy of Aled Jones (of Snowman fame). Tears in the eyes every time.
However much of an Aussie I intend to be, there are some roots you can't shake off, aren't there.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana, dunno about the Proms thing (but I doubt it), but you might be lucky with Secret Life. Although we are into about the 3rd or 4th season here on free-to-air tv, they only started showing it on Foxtel earlier in the year. Not sure where they are up to with it, but with a bit of luck you may not miss too much .

PS. I've only caught half the story of you & the bloke, but it sounds interesting. Where in Brisbane are you headed?
Old Sep 13th 2003, 11:03 pm
Home and Happy

Ooh good news about Secret Life! Many thanks!!
As for myself and the Bloke - he is Queensland born and bred, I'm British, emigrating at the end of October on a Prospective Marriage Visa.
He lives in Clayfield at present, and we will be there till I can find a good enough job for us to buy a place; I think we will stay in north Brisbane somewhere though cos of his job - I'm used to travelling a distance to work, but he isn't!
Old Sep 13th 2003, 11:38 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

i,m pretty sure the Proms are shown on ABC ,although 6mths after they happen , They show the Edinburgh Tatto every year , used to be required viewing at home ,as the oldman being ex Royal Navy, had once been on the Gun carriage, thingy where they dismantle and reassemble it on the other side of the wall, so we had to sit through a running comentary, we would always hope they would,nt show that segment............ MM
Old Sep 13th 2003, 11:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a little like us, but roles reversed. Im Qld born & bred & Dagboy is the Brit. Married 2 years in a fortnight & loving every second . Dgboy is applying for PR now & probably citizenship later. So I take it that his trip to the UK was his first experience? Whats your experience with Australia? Sorry if I'm being nosey, just tell me to bugger off if I am .

Clayfield is a nice area, we considered buying there but ended up just south of the river down near the bay - near Manly if you have a map.

Im afraid if you are really into your tv there might be a few shows that you will miss over here, although Foxtel & the ABC do show quite a few pommy shows. I particularly missed So Graham Norton (its on Foxtel but at some ungodly hour & I always forget to tape it) & "They think it's all Over". Sick sense of humour I know . But tv doesnt make a country, Im sure there will be other things to make up for the loss
Old Sep 13th 2003, 11:43 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Most TV here is crap. There are a couple of local highlights such as Kath & Kim and Fat Pizza. Even more grim is Quads but the humour is not for everyone.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 12:55 am
Home and Happy

I'm not a great TV watcher, but I shall miss "Think its all over", and "Have I got news for you". Still, I'll cope! I like Kath & Kim (seen it on Qantas internal flights!) and stuff like "Kingswood Country". And I've watched the film The Castle so many times I'm nearly word perfect....!
Experience of Oz? 5 holidays in Tassie - have Pommie frineds over there who invited me for a holiday and I fell in love with the place. Then went to Melbourne for the Grand Prix, toured the MCG, and there I met my beloved, who was down from Brisbane for the race.
I've now been to Brisbane 3 times, also been up to the Kingaroy area (to meet the ma-in-law - eek!), and round Surfers and the Sunshine Coast. I know it'll be different, but I'm looking forward to it.
Yes, this was his first trip to the UK. He got home about 18 hours ago, still shell-shocked, but says he would come over again and he did enjoy it even if it was smaller and dirtier than Oz! Also he got on well with the family which is a bit weight off my mind!
Marriage coming up at the end of January.....if I ever get all this packing finished!
Old Sep 14th 2003, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Pollyana, will you be working when you get there?

We are headed for the Gold Coast but we are still not 100% sure about that - Husband works in Hotel business- may think about Sunshine Coast.

Debs
Old Sep 14th 2003, 3:28 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Most TV here is crap. There are a couple of local highlights such as Kath & Kim and Fat Pizza. Even more grim is Quads but the humour is not for everyone.

that is the best news I have heard all day!!! This means I will finally be able to prise my other half away from the box and actually spend some quality time with his kids!!!!!!!!! Worst mistake of my life letting him get sky... When I told him you cant get sky in Aus he said he didnt want to go...not sure if he was serious or not so I just laughed and said me and the kids would go on our own then. no reply he was too engrossed in football.
So HURRAGH for crap-tv-in-Oz!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone want to join my club!!!??? or am i just lumped with the uk couch-potato champion??

sue
Old Sep 14th 2003, 4:37 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
that is the best news I have heard all day!!! This means I will finally be able to prise my other half away from the box and actually spend some quality time with his kids!!!!!!!!! Worst mistake of my life letting him get sky... When I told him you cant get sky in Aus he said he didnt want to go...not sure if he was serious or not so I just laughed and said me and the kids would go on our own then. no reply he was too engrossed in football.
Anyone want to join my club!!!??? or am i just lumped with the uk couch-potato champion??

sue
And shame for me I disagree

My couch potata (my irish sperling)........ (he is Engliosh!) said today...he is worried if he played a game of trival pursuit he would be buggered (he is my partner in sport and leisure - while I am the science and nature oddbod, er) ...after watching aus TV for 18 months.....he is not up to date and he is dumbed down (as are we all)! , I love football too but for hubbys sake and mine I wish we could all watch more here ......you just long for somebody to commentate realistically even on the snippets we do get of UK stuff. We are on the internet for stuff but we never had sky in the uk and not paying for it here.

........Can I give in and only get UK football.....

or even better.....NI football....came on Lindfield!

.....cheers
Old Sep 14th 2003, 7:29 pm
Home and Happy

Hi Debs,
Yes I shall be working; Bloke doesn't have such a good job that I will be able to sit back and relax for long! In fact he seems to think I will get such a good job that he can become a House Husband....... in his dreams. Don't think I'll manage to get a job till I arrive, but I shall be doing my best!
Sunshine Coast is beautiful - I'm glad we are on the north edge of the city so we can get up there quite easily. Gold Coast is good to visit, but a bit too commercial for me I think.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 10:32 pm
Badge

"as the oldman being ex Royal Navy, had once been on the Gun carriage, thingy where they dismantle and reassemble it on the other side of the wall"

a hard yakka mate. No wonder you are a mover!! Hate to catch my finger nail in one of them wheels...and they're the light bits..

Old Sep 15th 2003, 2:17 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins

sue
Hey Sue, I'm tired with twins too, or should that be tired of twins , how old are yours? Im not in the same boat with Dagboy being a couch potato, but I'm on your wavelength & will join your club! I'm so glad that we dont watch too much tv, probably less than 10 hrs a week. The boys watch a bit more, but nowhere near as much as some kids. Things will improve even more when we get our boat & we go away for the weekends on it. No tv & no computer, woohoo , can't wait.

Polly, what do you & the Bloke do? Something else that I miss on UK tv is Room 101, that used to be a good laugh. Forgot about Have I got News for You as well. Aussie comedies are very often same sh*t, different day type thing, its great to watch something different (& not droll american humour).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.