Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Still cant find a decent curry near Brisbane

Still cant find a decent curry near Brisbane

Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Still cant find a decent curry near Brisbane

Drove all the way from Caloundra to Albion on Sat night for a curry at Sittars .Service was crapp ordered 2 starters one was 10 mins after the first and the second came with the main meals. The currys where crap and i was very very dissapointed.Does anyone know of a really good curry house it cannot be that difficult surely..PS Sittars had that feelof just being a money machine with little thought for the paying customer
Rant finished
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Default Re: Still cant find a decent curry near Brisbane

Nope the quest goes on.....

Posted same request several weeks ago. Apparently everybody on here raves about one near Wynum / Manley. look up my previous threads.

Seems that most abandon curry in favour of other delicacies. Sacriledge!

Found a takeout in McDowall that does a decent Chicken Karai / nan & rice & tandoori but everything else was awful!

Le me know if you are succesful in your quest.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:11 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Spice avenue is the closest thing that we have tasted to a 'Proper' UK Curry. Naz the owner is from Wolverhampton in the UK.
They are on Birkdale Road in Birkdale, near Cleveland.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta say Spice Avenue does it for me !!Watch this space mate can't be that long before we have our 20 odd seat trip if you're interested in meeting a few fellow curry lovers There is people who travel from as far away as the Gold Coast and Gympie on our evenings out so it can't be that bad
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

This is Australia. Our food is Mongolian Lamb and Fried Rice
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

A Night in India in Toowong is the best I've found so far. Though their poppodums are crap but the rest is good. And you even have a choice of Goat meat which isn't as bad as it sounds!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
Drove all the way from Caloundra to Albion on Sat night for a curry at Sittars .Service was crapp ordered 2 starters one was 10 mins after the first and the second came with the main meals. The currys where crap and i was very very dissapointed.Does anyone know of a really good curry house it cannot be that difficult surely..PS Sittars had that feelof just being a money machine with little thought for the paying customer
Rant finished
Sittars in Albion is usually pretty good - one of the better ones over here. The only thing I dislike about it is the sprint across the road to the bottle shop when you run out of wine
Shame, you must have got them on a bad day.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:07 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Rant finished
We havent found a good one yet either - although the website below has some fantastic recipies, the tandoori chicken is cracking !

http://www.curryfrenzy.com/
Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:05 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Rant finished
Byron - how r u mate?! have u tried the india today in bulcock street? - i'm fussy as with a curry and loved it!

C
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

seems to be the way it is when one moves countries. i can't seem to find a good ole fashion fish and chips ( the aussie way) here in canada!!..LOL..shhh don't tell any of them i said that!

good luck on your quest! best curry i ever had was in Byron Bay..now in saying that..would it live up to what you are used to in the UK..i don't know!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
Byron - how r u mate?! have u tried the india today in bulcock street? - i'm fussy as with a curry and loved it!

C
Yeah been there done that. Chappatis from woollys having said that i find it a bit hit and miss ok one time crap the next.I have found that the CHICKEN JALFREZI ( hot) from Hathis is just about the nearest thing that hits the spot. I think that coming from rochdale with such a high concentration of Pakistanis i was spoilt. Perhaps the fact that most curries over here are made by Indians and not Pakistanis is the problem?
Hows the football going
Byron
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Spice avenue is the closest thing that we have tasted to a 'Proper' UK Curry. Naz the owner is from Wolverhampton in the UK.
They are on Birkdale Road in Birkdale, near Cleveland.
Do u remember the place in Solihull on the a 34 that had elephants outside. Had a mean phal there one night. I was sweating beads while eating it it was that hot. Could only pick the meat from the sauce. Talk about ring of fire phew
regards
Raven
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

millymolly is an unknown quantity at this point

oh my i know what you mean...i've not found a good curry house on sunhine coast or gold coast so resorted to making my own esp when I found this website that has BRITISH Indian receipes and as for popadoms the nearest I have found beleive it or not is is from a packet in the indian food section out of woolies (they are mini ones and taste just fab!!!) it all makes for a great night with friends!!!!

Here is the link for the receipes..if your game to try....if not good luck with your hunt!!

http://www.natco-online.com/acatalog/Recipes.html
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Right! It has been a constant complaint of mine that I haven't been able to find a decent Indian since being in Australia. I live near Coomera, half way between Brisbane and the Goldie.... now...

I have tried my fair share of Indians here, having loved them when in Glasgow and not one has been anywhere near as good... UNTIL NOW!

Yes, I have found a beautiful Indian restaurant that is classy, well-priced, great service and the food is unbelievably good.

It's called Randhawa's and it's located at Shop 4, 340 Hope Island Road, Hope Island Central, 4212. Tel: 07 5530 8111.

They are AMAZING! I hate Indians around here that won't give you chicken breast when you ask for it and instead deliver up chicken thigh or substandard bits of chicken that just don't cut it. This place will happily do chicken breast for you and it just melts in your mouth. The sauces are lovely and thick, way better than the average here that is too runny. The rice and naans are even amazing and the pakoras are just delicious. Everything is cooked fresh and you truly won't regret making the trip to Hope Island for this one. I am SOOOO happy I found this that I couldn't wait to get on here and tell everyone. Seriously, try it out. It's so good we had takeaway one night and ate in there the next.

Brilliant. Give this place your support, it's fantastic and would be such a shame to lose it.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:38 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Right! It has been a constant complaint of mine that I haven't been able to find a decent Indian since being in Australia. I live near Coomera, half way between Brisbane and the Goldie.... now...

I have tried my fair share of Indians here, having loved them when in Glasgow and not one has been anywhere near as good... UNTIL NOW!

Yes, I have found a beautiful Indian restaurant that is classy, well-priced, great service and the food is unbelievably good.

It's called Randhawa's and it's located at Shop 4, 340 Hope Island Road, Hope Island Central, 4212. Tel: 07 5530 8111.

They are AMAZING! I hate Indians around here that won't give you chicken breast when you ask for it and instead deliver up chicken thigh or substandard bits of chicken that just don't cut it. This place will happily do chicken breast for you and it just melts in your mouth. The sauces are lovely and thick, way better than the average here that is too runny. The rice and naans are even amazing and the pakoras are just delicious. Everything is cooked fresh and you truly won't regret making the trip to Hope Island for this one. I am SOOOO happy I found this that I couldn't wait to get on here and tell everyone. Seriously, try it out. It's so good we had takeaway one night and ate in there the next.

Brilliant. Give this place your support, it's fantastic and would be such a shame to lose it.

Enjoy!
Been there, and IMO wouldn't bother going again. Only one couple out of about 5 that have been there liked it.
But each to there own.
Passage to India in Broadbeach is the best Indian we have had (IMO). Ever sauce was different for every dish and not the usual one sauce for all. And the Naans are awsome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.