British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Still alive....and slowly cooking. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/still-alive-slowly-cooking-197057/)

PeteY Dec 16th 2003 2:15 am

Still alive....and slowly cooking.

Well, I thought I should let anyone here who knows me know I am still alive!!

Been a pretty exciting couple of weeks, and I am still definitely on holiday. Been doing lots of fishing and touristy stuff, planning on hiring a boat in a few days, and going camping when our first crate arrives on the 20th. Grampians here we come!!

Sorry the post is going to be a bit short…..but hav’nt got much web time at the moment…..OHHH how I am going to miss cable internet.

Bought a car….a nice 97 corolla, 1.8, as I don’t really want to pour fuel into a big old 6 cylinder. Was surprisingly difficult to get a decent 4 cyl car here in Mount Gambier. They were all out of our price range, or real old rustbuckets. BEWARE!!! Used cars are VERY expensive over here…..or we found that anyway.

Poll…..will be up in Bris (all being well) for the end of Jan, so will see you then ;) :)

Last 2 bits for today…..

1) There is a MONSTER bush fire raging on the other side of the lake about 600m from our beach shack. If the lake was’nt there the wind would be blowing the flames right in our direction and it would be all over red rover for the shack!
2) Its pretty damn hot here today. Was 37 yesterday and the thermometer is 41 today. The wind is pretty strong and it feels like standing in a fan oven! Bit warm even for me, and i love the heat.

Cheers

Pete

downunderpom Dec 16th 2003 2:20 am

Glad to hear you made it okay. Have fun!!:D

bondipom Dec 16th 2003 2:22 am

Re: Still alive....and slowly cooking.

Originally posted by PeteY

Been a pretty exciting couple of weeks, and I am still definitely on holiday. Been doing lots of fishing and touristy stuff, planning on hiring a boat in a few days, and going camping when our first crate arrives on the 20th. Grampians here we come!!

Sorry the post is going to be a bit short…..but hav’nt got much web time at the moment…..OHHH how I am going to miss cable internet.

Bought a car….a nice 97 corolla, 1.8, as I don’t really want to pour fuel into a big old 6 cylinder. Was surprisingly difficult to get a decent 4 cyl car here in Mount Gambier. They were all out of our price range, or real old rustbuckets. BEWARE!!! Used cars are VERY expensive over here…..or we found that anyway.

Poll…..will be up in Bris (all being well) for the end of Jan, so will see you then ;) :)

Last 2 bits for today…..

1) There is a MONSTER bush fire raging on the other side of the lake about 600m from our beach shack. If the lake was’nt there the wind would be blowing the flames right in our direction and it would be all over red rover for the shack!
2) Its pretty damn hot here today. Was 37 yesterday and the thermometer is 41 today. The wind is pretty strong and it feels like standing in a fan oven! Bit warm even for me, and i love the heat.

Cheers

Pete
Good to hear from you Petey. Hope you enjoy the rest of the holiday before settling as once the job hunting and work starts there is no time.

WBB Dec 16th 2003 2:28 am

was wondering when we would hear from you pete, enjoy the "honeymoon" period, you have the rest of your life ahead but that can wait.

;)

Ceri Dec 16th 2003 3:36 am

Last 2 bits for today…..

Cheers

Pete
Perhaps you'll understand a bit more what I've been saying (and dotty)

P.S

last month I've had fire's backing onto my [property three times... but I don't go into into it. I've actually packed up the car with photo's and non re- placement things.

Can I give you a hint -... take some people with a pinch of salt (take it anyway you please) I really could rip in to some people .. but why??? Now this is hard to explain unless you know what I'm talking about.

Hint of the day - ask questions (and what is in it for them) I can't put it any plainer.

good luck:)

janeyray Dec 16th 2003 8:06 am

Cheers

Pete
To number 1) Nice and it's only just begun.

To number 2) Mmm, lovely.
;)

Badge Dec 16th 2003 8:12 am

[QUOTE]Can I give you a hint -... take some people with a pinch of salt (take it anyway you please)
Hint of the day - ask questions (and what is in it for them) I can't put it any plainer.
[QUOTE]

Eh?! ;-) Glad to see you are at least enjoying yourself, Pete. Remember, you have plenty of time on your hands, it's not as if you have to worry about a young family etc take your time etc I'll be over soon, probably see you at 'filla's wedding.

Badge

hevs Dec 16th 2003 9:57 am

hi Pete, glad you arrived ok. Have you been to feed them there possums yet? keep us posted, H

sjn2003 Dec 16th 2003 10:03 am

Good to hear you got there in one piece !

Woke up to scrape the frost off the car this morning. Still sat on the radiator trying to defrost my fingers!! Would love some of that heat (but you can keep your bushfire:D ).

itsasecret Dec 16th 2003 10:25 am

Nice one Pete. Keep posting wont you..
:)

CHnJ Dec 16th 2003 10:29 am

Good to hear you made it, and glad you haven't abandoned those of us who are left behind.

OzTennis Dec 16th 2003 10:35 am

Nice to hear from you Pete and good luck. Ah, the Grampians, fond memories. Thank goodness for the Blue Lake with the fires.

OzTennis:)

Pollyana Dec 16th 2003 11:28 am

Glad things are going well Pete, and you're getting some fishing done!
Look forward to meeting you soooooon!!!

tinaj Dec 16th 2003 5:05 pm

Great to hear from you. I can't wait to experience the Honeymoon bit , can't see it happening for us though we will have too much to do!!

chippy Dec 16th 2003 8:46 pm

Cheers

Pete
Pete, do you know what it was in Orpington today...er, I think it was about 1, but maybe crept up to about 2 for midday. Oh well, mad-dogs and Englishmen...you'll be alright.