Reload this Page >

The sticker is in!

The sticker is in!

Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:48 am
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The sticker is in!

We received our passports back form Australia House this morning with our lovely visa stickers inside!! arty: We posted them to AHC last Tuesday so that was pretty quick.

I was driving into work this morning listening to Bill Bryson Down Under on tape (my sister in law bought it for us and I recommend it) when I had a bolt of realisation that we are finally on our way! Then the panick set in, where do we start? We have booked our flights and depart on the 4th November which seems yonks away but when I think about it it's really not that far away. We have two houses to sell, accomodation to arrange in Oz shipping to organise jobs to find etc, etc, My head is in turmoil thinking about everything to organise!!! :scared:

If anyone has any advice or knows of a good checklist please could you let me know. I want to try not to get too stressed out over this if at all possible!!!!

Thanks

TOB
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Good luck TOB. Whereabouts in Essex are you?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Chill TOB !!

We are going in September and haven't started thinking about any of it, let alone booking flights !

....actually, maybe I should be the one starting to PANIC :scared:

Search under Carrianne - I'm sure I remember she posted three pretty comprehensive lists of stuff to do
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:06 am
TOB
Forum Regular

Originally posted by debsy
Good luck TOB. Whereabouts in Essex are you?
SJN2003 - thanks for that. Where you headed? We got a good deal on our flights (to Sydney) from ebookers all in (2 adults to small children) for £1224.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Tob,

a word of advice, check your visa sticker and make sure all your names on it correspond with those in your passport. This may save on heart attaks later.

my stickers (provisional spouse then permanent residency) both only have my first name and family name, my middle name was left off. No dramas on arrival, or on the next 4 overseas business trips.

However, just returning to Brisbane airport just before christmas, I got hauled to one side by Immigration, who started questioning my visa, because as the stickers were missing my middle name. A heartstopping 5 minutes whilst they disappeared into the back room to play on their computer.

"Should be ok now weve updated our records" he says "Word of warning though, check your middle name is on any returning residents visas you get"

After this, I rang the local DIMIA office to find out what was going on

"Oh, we hardly ever put middle names on the stickers" was the official DIMIA line

OK in the scheme of things it was only a minor hiccup, but when you are tired, jetlagged, and the wife is waiting outside to pick you up bloody scary!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:32 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The sticker is in!

Originally posted by TOB
We received our passports back form Australia House this morning with our lovely visa stickers inside!! arty: We posted them to AHC last Tuesday so that was pretty quick.

I was driving into work this morning listening to Bill Bryson Down Under on tape (my sister in law bought it for us and I recommend it) when I had a bolt of realisation that we are finally on our way! Then the panick set in, where do we start? We have booked our flights and depart on the 4th November which seems yonks away but when I think about it it's really not that far away. We have two houses to sell, accomodation to arrange in Oz shipping to organise jobs to find etc, etc, My head is in turmoil thinking about everything to organise!!! :scared:

If anyone has any advice or knows of a good checklist please could you let me know. I want to try not to get too stressed out over this if at all possible!!!!

Thanks

TOB
Congratulations

"You'll be right mate". Just enjoy the fact you got your visas then take a deep breath and priorotise everything.

One day at a time.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Great!

Just think, even if you do get a bit stressed out it will be worth it in the end

At least you have your visas and a date to focus on now which is so much better than not knowing when or if it might happen - believe me!

Best thing is to try and 'go with the flow' (easier said than done I know). You have a few months before you leave which will enable you to be slightly more relaxed than some other people - make the most of your time - space things out - don't do too much at once - very easy to become overwelmed!

Good luck and stay cool

Gill
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

just another word of warning. check the visa validation date
ours all said 10th april 04 but my sons said 04 april 04. problem was we fly on the 6th of april so i had to send his passport back.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:12 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TOB

Thanks

TOB
Hi TOB
Well done.
There will be nobody left in Essex at this rate!!!!

Debs
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by TOB
SJN2003 - thanks for that. Where you headed? We got a good deal on our flights (to Sydney) from ebookers all in (2 adults to small children) for £1224.
Off to Sydney, not sure where yet. We are using Ebookers for our validation trip next month. Cheapest I could find and no hassle. Is that price for 2 kids under 2 or do they get seat(s) for that ??

Think I will leave booking the flight until last minute or at least until the house is sold and we can pick a date.

Are you moving to Sydney? Any idea where ?
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice

What a lovely problem to have!!! As they say no worries mate!!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:46 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by TOB

Thanks

TOB
YAY!! Us too - the special delivery postie who brought them this morning was VERY envious when I told him what they were!!

Just took pic of visa'd passports & emailed it off to my mates so they know it's REAL now, & I am really going!

I know just how you feel about the panic/elation rollercoaster. Run with it, it's all part of the experience.

Nov 4 - you've got AGES! We're off sooner than that...

Good luck & see ya on the other side!

Anya.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:41 am
TOB
Forum Regular

Hi sjn2003,

We're off to Sydney too, somewhere on the central coast but not sure exactly where yet. Been looking at outskirts of Gosford, Terrigal etc, how about you?

We've got two house to sell, one which is going on the market this wek and the other we will put on at the end of may and just hope it sells before we go in November! We didn't want to miss the deal with the flights as Cathay Pacific were only offering the specials until mid Feb.

The price we got from ebookers includes seats for the kids as they will be 2 & 3 years old when we fly.

TOB

Originally posted by sjn2003
Off to Sydney, not sure where yet. We are using Ebookers for our validation trip next month. Cheapest I could find and no hassle. Is that price for 2 kids under 2 or do they get seat(s) for that ??

Think I will leave booking the flight until last minute or at least until the house is sold and we can pick a date.

Are you moving to Sydney? Any idea where ?
Old Mar 7th 2004, 3:19 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tob

Congratulations. A year ago I remember you emailed me a question regarding my husband being a civil engineer and I have looked out for you posting an email like this one.

We left the UK in Nov and arrived in Melbourne on the 18th Feb so we have nearly been here 3 weeks now.

Things are falling into place as they did when we were packing to leave the UK it will all work out.

We bought a car within 2 days of being here and have not looked back. We are now concentrating on jobs and I have an interview for a job on Tuesday.

I guess what I am trying to say is take it one day at a time and enjoy the time left in the UK with your families and before you know it you will be on a flight sydney bound.

It is different out here and we are lucky we have a good circle of friends. I am taking each day at a time and so far have no regrets.

Wishing you all the best with your move

Jo
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

antmenter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debs&tim
Hi TOB
Well done.
There will be nobody left in Essex at this rate!!!!

Debs
This is not a bad thing! Unless they are all going to OZ then it is very bad.

Dont forget us just starting this god forsaken process back it Blighty while you sunning yourself TOB

ant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.