Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sterling/Dollar Rates at recent high

Sterling/Dollar Rates at recent high

Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:42 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sterling/Dollar Rates at recent high

Got the following email from OzForex - thought it might prove to be of interest to folks.
Just a short note to let you know that the GBP/AUD rate opened today at a 5-month high of 2.1900. In volatile trade this morning, it briefly touched 2.2000. This represents an appreciation of 7.5 per cent compared to just seven weeks ago on July 23, 2008 when it was trading at 2.0470. The recent low was 2.0298 on June 4, 2008. The Australian Dollar has weakened significantly due to a strong U.S. Dollar and an end to the tightening cycle in official interest rates. Last Tuesday, The Reserve Bank of Australia cut interest rates for the first time in 7 years by 25 basis points to 7.00 per cent and has more than hinted at lower rates in a recent statement saying “with domestic demand slowing, the Board’s view is that scope to move towards a less restrictive stance of monetary policy in the period ahead is increasing”. Financial markets have taken the view that further moves down in interest rates are imminent.

The Pound could gain more strength against the Aussie from here but there is significant volatility and renewed weakness cannot be discounted.

If you have been holding off transferring Pounds against the Australian Dollar, you may wish to consider converting funds at these more attractive levels. Please contact us to book a rate or to discuss your requirements.

Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sterling/Dollar Rates at recent high

Thanks..... I've been waiting for the rate to go up
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Got the following email from OzForex - thought it might prove to be of interest to folks.
Just a short note to let you know that the GBP/AUD rate opened today at a 5-month high of 2.1900. In volatile trade this morning, it briefly touched 2.2000. This represents an appreciation of 7.5 per cent compared to just seven weeks ago on July 23, 2008 when it was trading at 2.0470. The recent low was 2.0298 on June 4, 2008. The Australian Dollar has weakened significantly due to a strong U.S. Dollar and an end to the tightening cycle in official interest rates. Last Tuesday, The Reserve Bank of Australia cut interest rates for the first time in 7 years by 25 basis points to 7.00 per cent and has more than hinted at lower rates in a recent statement saying “with domestic demand slowing, the Board’s view is that scope to move towards a less restrictive stance of monetary policy in the period ahead is increasing”. Financial markets have taken the view that further moves down in interest rates are imminent.

The Pound could gain more strength against the Aussie from here but there is significant volatility and renewed weakness cannot be discounted.

If you have been holding off transferring Pounds against the Australian Dollar, you may wish to consider converting funds at these more attractive levels. Please contact us to book a rate or to discuss your requirements.

Thanks Hutch! I was about to post the same email myself!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:26 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Better get in quick before the world ends...Cern Particle Acclerator About to be Switched On
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I got that email today too... will have to talk it over with DH tonight and see if he wants to bring over our remaining savings or not.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:17 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks Hutch! I was about to post the same email myself!
I think we all got the same email from OZforex lol.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I think we all got the same email from OZforex lol.
And here was me feeling that Brett had emailed me personally, as it began "Hi xxxxxxx". How silly do I feel now?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Beppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch

In my opinion, the e-mail appears too much like he’s fishing for business.
Mainly I guess because the more people who transfer funds now the more his income stream is protected. I assume the economic downturn and property downturn has meant far fewer people using these types of services with far fewer pounds than in the past.

Having said that, though, the factual content of the e-mail is correct.
The rate is a lot better than recent times, it is volatile and the rate could go back down (as well as up).

If you need to transfer in the short term it is certainly worth some serious consideration. 7.5% is not to be taken lightly – ask someone who transferred their funds 7 weeks ago.

However, I’m still going to “hold-off” myself as I still see 2.2 as being below historical trend level.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:33 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

2.4 in September is looking almost possible.

(although I may have to invoke the Julian Calendar)
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:44 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beppe
In my opinion, the e-mail appears too much like he’s fishing for business.

However, I’m still going to “hold-off” myself as I still see 2.2 as being below historical trend level.
Correct, the chart is trending upwards now.