British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Steps for plumber moving to Melbourne - please help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/steps-plumber-moving-melbourne-please-help-931076/)

Lucydeanjacob Feb 12th 2020 12:48 pm

Steps for plumber moving to Melbourne - please help!

Hi Everyone ,

My family and I are in the very early stages of applying for a visa to live and work in Melbourne .

My partner is a gas engineer /plumber he took a modern apprenticeship in plumbing and gas which took 4 years ( this was 12 years ago ) since then he has worked for company’s doing plumbing and gas . The last 2 years he has Ran his own business being gas safe . We have evidence of this .

my question is - is this enough for the skills assessment part of visa?
I’m worried after reading somewhere that it must be NVQ level 2/3
his certificates says level 3 in plumbing but no nvq??

So after research I’ve gathered this is the steps we need to take please can anyone advise if I’m correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated this is such a daunting process and before we start paying and applying we need to know what we should be doing 😬

below I’ve listed steps I believe I need to take - any corrections please let me know !

-Apply for visa
skills assessment
medicals etc- expecting full cost around £7000( family of 4)
- fingers crossed granted
move to Melbourne
-apply for provisional with skills assessment - which entitles him work for company ( supervised )
-contact fair trading arrange gap training and another skills assessment to get full licence - cost around £2500- I understand might have to attend extra training

thanks everyone , fingers crossed I can get some good info/advice

Tuxtrip Feb 12th 2020 10:50 pm

Re: Steps for plumber moving to Melbourne - please help!

You can get all the information you need about the skills assessment on the VETASSESS website - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...de-occupations. The Guides and Fact Sheets are very good.
If you are going to complete the application yourself, I would suggest having a consultation with a reputable MARA Registered Migration Agent. There may be a fee for this but it will be worth it to ensure you have all the facts relevant to your application and personal circumstances, and that your qualifications are sufficient for a successful skills assessment.

verystormy Feb 13th 2020 4:29 am

Will just add a couple of things.

1. The requirements for obtaining a state license vary by state, but generally, he will need to work supervised for about a year. A bit like an advanced apprentice.

2. The points for the visa are vita,. For example, there is no point in doing an eoi for a 189 on less than 90 points. But you must not over claim a single point. IT isna good idea to use a good migration agent.

Be aware of the costs of migrating. The costs you have stated are just the drop in the ocean. The full cost is likely to be about 30k

Lucydeanjacob Feb 13th 2020 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip (Post 12805864)
You can get all the information you need about the skills assessment on the VETASSESS website - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...de-occupations. The Guides and Fact Sheets are very good.
If you are going to complete the application yourself, I would suggest having a consultation with a reputable MARA Registered Migration Agent. There may be a fee for this but it will be worth it to ensure you have all the facts relevant to your application and personal circumstances, and that your qualifications are sufficient for a successful skills assessment.

Thank you I will do ! I’ll have a look on that website now and check .

I seem to be researching and then finding another thing I need to research 🤣

any recommendations on migrant agents ? The down under centre seem really good but very expensive what’s they’ve quoted us for their help!

we do expect to pay but I was shocked at how much 😬

Lucydeanjacob Feb 13th 2020 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12805924)
Will just add a couple of things.

1. The requirements for obtaining a state license vary by state, but generally, he will need to work supervised for about a year. A bit like an advanced apprentice.

2. The points for the visa are vita,. For example, there is no point in doing an eoi for a 189 on less than 90 points. But you must not over claim a single point. IT isna good idea to use a good migration agent.

Be aware of the costs of migrating. The costs you have stated are just the drop in the ocean. The full cost is likely to be about 30k

Oh that’s not good about working as a apprentice for the first year I just hope the pay isn’t too low! it’s Victoria we are planning to go to.

the 189 is that the employer sponsor one?

We have a lot of work to do ! I think we have budgeted around £30k for the whole move but that includes spends when we get there and rent ( first 2 months) flights etc ...

Lucydeanjacob Feb 13th 2020 9:03 pm

I have just checked the vetaseses website and it says licenced trade either 6 years work experience with no formal training or 4 years work experience and formal training .

he has formal training and 10+ years so he should be fine ! We definitely need help with how we show evidence ensure cover everything so a migration agent is our next step!

I would love to hear some success stories of plumbers moving to Oz , I’ve found a lot of post taking about process at the beginning but nine who’ve done it all and it’s worked out 😬

Tuxtrip Feb 14th 2020 12:13 am

In the UK, I would suggest someone like Concept Australia, Emigration Group or immigration2oz, but there are others and I'm sure you will get further recommendations. These particular companies have been around a long time and they have Registered Migration Agents who own/work in their offices. Have a look at their websites for more information.
Whoever you are getting advice from though, make sure they are actually MARA registered and not just part of a sales team, regardless of how experienced they say they are. And just because there is a MARA logo on their website, it does not mean they have a registered agent in the office to advise you. Always ask to speak directly with the registered agent.
More on the VETASSESS situation. I searched for 'VETASSESS events in London 2020' and see that they will be in London in April, if that is any use to you. It might be a good opportunity to speak with them and ask all the questions you need answered. Check it out here:
https://www.visabureau.com/australia...on-events-2020
It is an expensive process, and it can be a lengthy one, so if you are going to pay someone all that money, you should use a MARA registered professional to guide you and keep you on the right track all the way through. Sorry, I know I keep harping on about the MARA thing, but there have been too many horror stories over the years from people who have been ripped off by unscrupulous 'agents'. Some registered agents are better than others of course, but they are all bound by the same Code of Conduct. Do your homework and find a reputable agent - it will make it all a little less stressful knowing you've got a good team handling your application.