Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Step son's permission query

Step son's permission query

Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

soldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Step son's permission query

I have got my wife's ex to sign permission for us to take the boy out with us to Australia but Im a bit worried about the proof of ID he took.
According to the form 1229 he could either take passport, drivers licence or birth certificate.
Now he doesnt own a passport, lost his driving licence so only has a birth certificate.
I emailed immgration and they said that any one would do but a passport would be preferable.
I know I shouldnt be worried but we cant help it when so much is at stake on this.
Is there anyone who has been in the same situation and if so wsa it any issue or did they grant the visa with just this proof.

Thanks Mark
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step son's permission query

Originally Posted by soldierblue
I have got my wife's ex to sign permission for us to take the boy out with us to Australia but Im a bit worried about the proof of ID he took.
According to the form 1229 he could either take passport, drivers licence or birth certificate.
Now he doesnt own a passport, lost his driving licence so only has a birth certificate.
I emailed immgration and they said that any one would do but a passport would be preferable.
I know I shouldnt be worried but we cant help it when so much is at stake on this.
Is there anyone who has been in the same situation and if so wsa it any issue or did they grant the visa with just this proof.

Thanks Mark

Does the visa not need to go into passport anyway?
Can't go send off for passport and pay the extra to get it rushed through, could save a lot of hassle!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

soldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Sorry but I think I havent worded it right
My stepson already has a passport its the step father who doesnt have one.

Mark
Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark

I had to do the same thing with regards to my ex (taking his daughter with us to Oz). My ex took only his driving licence with him to the solicitors, he had to swear on the bible and sign the statutory declaration. His driving licence was enough, so im sure it will be ok for him to take his birth certificate (if thats what immigration have said), we have had no problems since & have our PR visa. Do make sure that the solicitors hand writing is readable & stamped. A letter (from the solicitor) to go with the stat dec would be a good idea (stating that they have seen ID etc). Cost us £5.

Hope this helps?

Jo x
Old Nov 16th 2006, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Great post.... I too face this problem. I've told my ex of our plans and he has agreed that this is a great opportunity for our daughter (and probably more the fact that he'll get out of paying maintainance). What exactly do we have to do, just get him to write a letter and have it certified?

Thanks, Lynn
Old Nov 16th 2006, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the4ofus
Great post.... I too face this problem. I've told my ex of our plans and he has agreed that this is a great opportunity for our daughter (and probably more the fact that he'll get out of paying maintainance). What exactly do we have to do, just get him to write a letter and have it certified?

Thanks, Lynn
Hi

There is a form you have to get him to fill in.

The web address is
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1229.pdf

He has to take it to a solicitor to get them to witness his signature and to sign the back of a copy of his passport, drivers licence or birth certificate. saying something like I certify this is a true copy of the original which I have sighted.
If he only has a birth certificate like ours has, the solicitor wanted utlility bills as further proof of identity.
Hope this helps

Cheers Mark
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice

Originally Posted by the4ofus

Thanks, Lynn

If you are using an an agent they may supply the statutory declaration (letter) for you (ours did), we just took it to the solicitors for filling in & signing (unfortunately with ex & ID etc )

x

Last edited by jo&neil; Nov 16th 2006 at 5:42 pm. Reason: missed a bit
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:49 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There is a form you have to get him to fill in.

The web address is
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1229.pdf

He has to take it to a solicitor to get them to witness his signature and to sign the back of a copy of his passport, drivers licence or birth certificate. saying something like I certify this is a true copy of the original which I have sighted.
If he only has a birth certificate like ours has, the solicitor wanted utlility bills as further proof of identity.
Hope this helps

Cheers Mark
This form states it is for use for TRAVEL to australia.

It does NOT mention immigration to australia!!
It certainly does not include the sort of information that our agents told us would be required by oz immigration.

I have just completed the affidavit for my ex to sign - agent has seen and is happy - if anyone wants a copy PM me.

Tiggs
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
This form states it is for use for TRAVEL to australia.

It does NOT mention immigration to australia!!
It certainly does not include the sort of information that our agents told us would be required by oz immigration.

I have just completed the affidavit for my ex to sign - agent has seen and is happy - if anyone wants a copy PM me.

Tiggs
I mentioned this form because its the one Oz immigratin told me I needed to get filled out by her ex husband
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:49 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Ive never seen this form before and I was also under the impression a Statuatory Declaration was all that was needed. I went to the solicitors last week with a home-made one that the solicitor was happy to witness and just asked my ex to recite a few words then sign. Attached was a copy of his driving licence as proof of ID. Notice the form is dated 07/06 - Is this a new form? All the guidance in booklet 6 talks about a Stat Dec for the purpose of visa application????????

Diane
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:55 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned this form because its the one Oz immigratin told me I needed to get filled out by her ex husband
If you are applying for any sort residency visa (rather than travel visa) i would get back in touch with oz immigration and check this.

The form states its use for travel visa and under 18 student visa.
It does not include a declaration from the non-migrating parent to say that they agree to a premament removal of the child from the uk to oz.

I would certainly not be happy sending this with my application.

Tiggs
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

If you are applying for any sort residency visa (rather than travel visa) i would get back in touch with oz immigration and check this.

It does not include a declaration from the non-migrating parent to say that they agree to a premament removal of the child from the uk to oz.

Tiggs
I have just spoken with Oz immigration this morning to confirm if this was the right form to make sure and they have said yes. I dont suppose it makes much difference as long as an agent says its fine its just that its the form I used as thats what they asked for.

Mark
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Tiggs
Just wanted to say the info on here that I posted with regards to the form 1229 is wrong. You were right tiggs. Whats really annoyed me is I actually rang them up( at a £1 a bloody minute), get told they will ring me back which they did and said yes thats the correct form dont worry about it. Now After submitting my application Ive had an email saying now we want a sworn declaration, sole custody order or permission to leave order.
I even have an email from them with the said bloody form attached to it saying this is the correct form when I wrote and asked them.
I am seriously P***ed off.
To top it all off now that I have spent alot of money getting this far the father has said get stuffed (similar wording anyway) he wont give a sworn declaration. So now I have to go down the solicitor route.

Cheers Mark
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

To top it all off now that I have spent alot of money getting this far the father has said get stuffed (similar wording anyway) he wont give a sworn declaration. So now I have to go down the solicitor route.
Make sure you find a solicitor who deals in family law. And show solicitor the form that has already been signed as it may be admissable in evidence.

How old is the child in question?

You might want to ask on the immigration forum whether DIMA's attitude is unreasonable in the light of their own laws and policies.