Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Steel fabrication Manager

Steel fabrication Manager

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Flames123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Steel fabrication Manager

I am not sure where this thread ought to be posted, so please bear with me.
OH manages a Steel Fabrication and Galvanizing Unit/ Factory in the middle east. The strength is about a 100 workers.
As Manager, he is completely incharge of Hiring/ Organisation/ delegation of works/ meeting clients/ oversee execution of works / getting new orders/ pricing/ costing / estimation etc.

we have been granted the 175 visa, and are going to validate our visa soon.

we are in a dilemma as to where we need to settle down. From the seek website, we see that most of his job opportunities are in Perth, but opportunities for me (Architect) are plentiful in Sydney.

OH is and will be main breadwinner of the family- my income will only help supplement it, if required.

My question is this - are there "undavertised" jobs in the field just mentioned in Sydney? Do we play it safe and move to Perth- or shall we scout around in Sydney?

I am sure there must be plenty of steel factories in Sydney - just not advertised???

I am not sure i'm making myself clear- any one? help?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Steel fabrication Manager

i would like to add that Perth seems fabulous to me as a place to raise ur kids and family life - but am only worried about it being so far away from everywhere else. My immediate family will most likely be settling down in Melbourne - which will make meeting up fro Christmas and stuff - far from possible.....
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steel fabrication Manager

Originally Posted by Flames123
I am not sure where this thread ought to be posted, so please bear with me.
OH manages a Steel Fabrication and Galvanizing Unit/ Factory in the middle east. The strength is about a 100 workers.
As Manager, he is completely incharge of Hiring/ Organisation/ delegation of works/ meeting clients/ oversee execution of works / getting new orders/ pricing/ costing / estimation etc.

we have been granted the 175 visa, and are going to validate our visa soon.

we are in a dilemma as to where we need to settle down. From the seek website, we see that most of his job opportunities are in Perth, but opportunities for me (Architect) are plentiful in Sydney.

OH is and will be main breadwinner of the family- my income will only help supplement it, if required.

My question is this - are there "undavertised" jobs in the field just mentioned in Sydney? Do we play it safe and move to Perth- or shall we scout around in Sydney?

I am sure there must be plenty of steel factories in Sydney - just not advertised???

I am not sure i'm making myself clear- any one? help?
There are sheet metal fabricators in Sydney, but operating a business in Sydney is sooo expensive (as is Perth, but the premium that W.A. miners appear to be prepared to pay for equipment off sets that somewhat).

Much of this type of industry is closing in Sydney to the benifit of crap coming in from China.

If mining goes fall over and the AUD $ drops, then it will make manufacturing more attractive again in Australia and inductries such as agriculture will comeback through and have different equipment demands.

There is fabrication (espcially agricultural) in regional towns like Wagga Wagga, Bendigo, Toowoomba, etc.

For the short term, I would suggest he has the best chnace of work in Perth....but for how long?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice

Plenty of this kind of work in the Hunter Valley (near Newcastle). The architecture job might be harder to find. Cost of living is less than Sydney.

You only mention Sydney & Perth, why not Melbourne? Lots of manufacturing down in Geelong. Manufacturing in Sydney would likely be in the outer suburbs, e.g. out West. My sister finally gave up on living in Perth due to the distance from family on the east coast. It's a long (ish) and expensive trip esp if you have kids. From what I've heard most of the jobs are in remote rural parts of WA rather than Perth. Are you willing to be separated from your husband for extended periods of time so that he could do remote work?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Post Re: Steel fabrication Manager

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
There are sheet metal fabricators in Sydney, but operating a business in Sydney is sooo expensive (as is Perth, but the premium that W.A. miners appear to be prepared to pay for equipment off sets that somewhat).

Much of this type of industry is closing in Sydney to the benifit of crap coming in from China.

If mining goes fall over and the AUD $ drops, then it will make manufacturing more attractive again in Australia and inductries such as agriculture will comeback through and have different equipment demands.

There is fabrication (espcially agricultural) in regional towns like Wagga Wagga, Bendigo, Toowoomba, etc.

For the short term, I would suggest he has the best chnace of work in Perth....but for how long?
thanks for the info Roger!! i doubt manufacturing can ever completly go away!! (fingers crossed) - guess we just have to enter the deep waters to actually know its depth!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scrudu
Plenty of this kind of work in the Hunter Valley (near Newcastle). The architecture job might be harder to find. Cost of living is less than Sydney.

You only mention Sydney & Perth, why not Melbourne? Lots of manufacturing down in Geelong. Manufacturing in Sydney would likely be in the outer suburbs, e.g. out West. My sister finally gave up on living in Perth due to the distance from family on the east coast. It's a long (ish) and expensive trip esp if you have kids. From what I've heard most of the jobs are in remote rural parts of WA rather than Perth. Are you willing to be separated from your husband for extended periods of time so that he could do remote work?
thanks Scrudu!! thats helpful info!! only reason, we might shy away from Melbourne would be the cool winds, no ther reason - our first priority is getting jobs!! we are open to any place really - i was just talking from reference to Seek. com.au

How far would Hunter Valley be from Sydney? is it nice enough to raise a family? i will do a google search in geelong as well Many thanks!!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice

Originally Posted by Flames123
thanks Scrudu!! thats helpful info!! only reason, we might shy away from Melbourne would be the cool winds, no ther reason - our first priority is getting jobs!! we are open to any place really - i was just talking from reference to Seek. com.au
I lived in Melbourne for a year and loved it. Yes the winters are cool, but they have hot summers. In my opinion it's the best city in Australia so if you're happy to live in a city, I think it's miles ahead of either Sydney and especially Perth.

How far would Hunter Valley be from Sydney? is it nice enough to raise a family? i will do a google search in geelong as well Many thanks!!
Hunter Valley is approx 2-2.5 hours from Sydney centre, depending on exact location & traffic. It's 2 hours door-to-door from the centre of Newcastle to Sydney centre (not rush hour). So you likely wouldn't be commuting from one to the other. The Hunter is a large region, and Newcastle is the main city. There's not a lot going on in Newcastle, but it has fantastic beaches, more affordable living and right on the doorstop of great national parks & wine region. I live there so I'm biased. Most people living here either come from here, or have moved here from Sydney to raise a family due to high cost of housing in Sydney. No traffic and every-where's max a 15 min drive, so it's a nice and relaxing place to live. And, Syd is only 2 hours away so when you need the stuff that real cities offer (Newcastle is more like a big town), you can get down easily. There's a FB forum called "expats in the hunter" if you want to ask other folks living there questions. Have a look on seek.com.au for jobs in "NSW Regional > Hunter & Newcastle" to see the jobs situation.

Best of luck!