Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

steandleigh's camping adventures...Part 2...

steandleigh's camping adventures...Part 2...

Old May 3rd 2005, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default steandleigh's camping adventures...Part 2...

G'day! (that still makes me laugh!)

after our very successful camping trip to the Tablelands a few weeks back, we decided to go again this long bank holiday weekend but north this time.

The drive along the winding coastal road north is spectatular, miles of pristine deserted beaches and beautiful rainforest.

We ended up at Wonga Beach which is 30 minutes before The Daintree and one and a half hours drive north from Cairns. On the way we stopped for lunch at Mossman which is a quaint rural town, very checkedy shirts and banjo playing stuff!!! ( That's meant in a nice way, BTW...)

When we got to Wonga we stopped at the Pinnacle Village campsite there. We'd recommend it totally, the kids and us had a great time. Costs $33 for a powered site - bargain!!

It peed it down when we first arrived and thought we may have to get a cabin as the ground was sodden but within the hour it had cleared and was glorious for the rest of the weekend.

We went with friends and their children this time which was good and we all had a laugh fishing off the beach, the kids were mesmerised by the different things we caught with the drag net - pufferfish, prawns, mud crabs, silver salmon, dewy's. The idea being that you go into the ocean and 'drag' for live bait, rather than buying it ( and it's more fun too).

There were a couple of pelicans swimming close to the waters edge so we fed them some of our catch and a huge spider ( bird eating? ) hanging over head of our tents in it's gigantic web. Nothing more exciting for little boys then the anticipation of a boy eating spider being nearby!!!

I have never eaten so much as I have this weekend with our 'aussie mates' showing us various new things to cook on the barbie and of course it had to be washed down with a nice glass or two

And their 'set up' had us in stiches...there we are ( 2 adults, 2 nippers ) squeezed into a 3 man dome tent ( we are all ickle peeps tho' ), just sleeping bags for the kids and a doona for us (!) and our mates had the full on gear - huge tent, separate 'house' for eating in (with their 'pop up' table and chairs ), lights rigged up, stereo on, every kitchen utensil you could think of...

Still, we don't mind roughing it!!! (Good job really....)

The weekend went by way too quickly ( doesn't it always ) and on the way back we stopped in at Port Douglas for lunch, which in my opinion is the most overrated place, full of tourist tat and overpriced restaurants (a bit like Cairns city), still it's to be expected as it's a tourist destination, I suppose.

Overall, another great weekend to be had a a bargain price and the relaxation is priceless.
Old May 3rd 2005, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: steandleigh's camping adventures...Part 2...

Hi steandleigh!

Sounds like you had a good time, apart from that BIG spider that is That would have finished me off - been lucky enough not to have seen any like that yet and been here 6 months - not bad goin eh!? (probably tempted fate now haven't I)?

We still haven't gone to the Tablelands yet - but hoping to make it in the next couple of months - waited for it to 'cool' down a tad! Don't fancy 'camping' meself - for obvious reasons! Might be convinced one day though!

We did go to Port Douglas and loved it there - so what if it is geared up for tourists - you can ignore that stuff and just take in the beauty and other aspects of the place - we can't wait to go back to be honest - really good day out.

So, you do reccomend the Tablelands then? A lot of our friends in Cairns say it is a beautiful place to visit - we must get there soon! Great driving along the coastal road isn't it? Fantastic views! We stopped at a 'look out' point (dont ask what it was called) on the way to Port Douglas, the views were just awesome - could have stayed there all day just taking them in - bit too hot for that though!

Anyways, good to read your post - hope you are all ok.

Bix da boss
Old May 3rd 2005, 1:39 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steandleigh
G'day! (that still makes me laugh!)

after our very successful camping trip to the Tablelands a few weeks back, we decided to go again this long bank holiday weekend but north this time.

The drive along the winding coastal road north is spectatular, miles of pristine deserted beaches and beautiful rainforest.

We ended up at Wonga Beach which is 30 minutes before The Daintree and one and a half hours drive north from Cairns. On the way we stopped for lunch at Mossman which is a quaint rural town, very checkedy shirts and banjo playing stuff!!! ( That's meant in a nice way, BTW...)

When we got to Wonga we stopped at the Pinnacle Village campsite there. We'd recommend it totally, the kids and us had a great time. Costs $33 for a powered site - bargain!!

It peed it down when we first arrived and thought we may have to get a cabin as the ground was sodden but within the hour it had cleared and was glorious for the rest of the weekend.

We went with friends and their children this time which was good and we all had a laugh fishing off the beach, the kids were mesmerised by the different things we caught with the drag net - pufferfish, prawns, mud crabs, silver salmon, dewy's. The idea being that you go into the ocean and 'drag' for live bait, rather than buying it ( and it's more fun too).

There were a couple of pelicans swimming close to the waters edge so we fed them some of our catch and a huge spider ( bird eating? ) hanging over head of our tents in it's gigantic web. Nothing more exciting for little boys then the anticipation of a boy eating spider being nearby!!!

I have never eaten so much as I have this weekend with our 'aussie mates' showing us various new things to cook on the barbie and of course it had to be washed down with a nice glass or two

And their 'set up' had us in stiches...there we are ( 2 adults, 2 nippers ) squeezed into a 3 man dome tent ( we are all ickle peeps tho' ), just sleeping bags for the kids and a doona for us (!) and our mates had the full on gear - huge tent, separate 'house' for eating in (with their 'pop up' table and chairs ), lights rigged up, stereo on, every kitchen utensil you could think of...

Still, we don't mind roughing it!!! (Good job really....)

The weekend went by way too quickly ( doesn't it always ) and on the way back we stopped in at Port Douglas for lunch, which in my opinion is the most overrated place, full of tourist tat and overpriced restaurants (a bit like Cairns city), still it's to be expected as it's a tourist destination, I suppose.

Overall, another great weekend to be had a a bargain price and the relaxation is priceless.

It sounds like you guys had a fantastic time and I am dead jealous!!! I cant wait to get up as far North as you guys are and go camping!!

We went camping last weekend also, but in another world to where you guys were. We were in the Desert on the edge of lakes that have not had water in them for 15,000 years!!!! (pics are on Photopost if your interested)

Hope you continue to have many many happy years of camping!!

Hels
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:00 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff!!

I'm jealous, it's already to cold here for camping now! (well, camping in the southwest anyway. Well, we could, but it wouldn't be great) We'll have to wait till october or so!
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:50 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simone
Great stuff!!

I'm jealous, it's already to cold here for camping now! (well, camping in the southwest anyway. Well, we could, but it wouldn't be great) We'll have to wait till october or so!

No!!! Camping in the Winter is just as good as the summer. You get a whole other experience. At least in Winter you can have a camp fire and toast marshmallows as there are no Total Fire Ban days.
Old May 3rd 2005, 3:36 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
No!!! Camping in the Winter is just as good as the summer. You get a whole other experience. At least in Winter you can have a camp fire and toast marshmallows as there are no Total Fire Ban days.
Yeah... but....
It gets dark at 6 pm and we don't have such good sleeping bags. And it's wet.

Ok, ok, enough excuses. Yeah, we could go camping...

We went camping a few weeks ago, and didn't have a lamp, or even a torch!!! So went to bed at 7pm Got up at 7 again too though!

We're not good at campfires. I think we'll have to go with our friends, they're better at all that stuff(even have a portable(weighs 50 kilo's though....) bbq.)

Old May 3rd 2005, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi steandleigh!

So, you do reccomend the Tablelands then? A lot of our friends in Cairns say it is a beautiful place to visit - we must get there soon! Great driving along the coastal road isn't it? Fantastic views! We stopped at a 'look out' point (dont ask what it was called) on the way to Port Douglas, the views were just awesome - could have stayed there all day just taking them in - bit too hot for that though!

Bix da boss

Hiya!

It's called "Rex lookout', we stopped on the way back from Port Douglas this weekend and watched the hangliders jumping off the point. Mad! :scared:

The Tablelands is great - Malanda, Millaa Millaa, Ravenshoe, Atherton, Innot Hot Springs, Mt Garnet - all really scenic.

Actually, theres a rodeo happening at malanda in July - would be well worth a gander... and don't worry about the heat on the Tablelands, it's really cool up there, no humidity at all.

Cheers.
Old May 3rd 2005, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Hi,

I think that is the camp site we stayed at last new year and I recommend it to. Having the kitchen area nearby was a god send aswell as the pool. The beach was great because there was only us on it We built a fire and spent the evening, lovely.

On the downside, the weather was crap for most of our stay and it is a breeding ground for mozzies

Sound like you are having fun. Go on Jill give it a go It aint that bad you know!

Mandy
Old May 3rd 2005, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the one
Old May 3rd 2005, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scrawni
Hi,

I think that is the camp site we stayed at last new year and I recommend it to. Having the kitchen area nearby was a god send aswell as the pool. The beach was great because there was only us on it We built a fire and spent the evening, lovely.

On the downside, the weather was crap for most of our stay and it is a breeding ground for mozzies

Sound like you are having fun. Go on Jill give it a go It aint that bad you know!

Mandy

Hey YOU!!!!

Sent you an email earlier today - read it yet m8?

You know what you can do with camping Mandy!

Now get off the EXPATS and answer my email will ya

I dont know

Gill (with a 'G') hehe!

xxxx
Old May 3rd 2005, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

Mandy
We didn't need to use the camp kitchen as the BBQ'S were more than adequate. Also, didn't feel the force of the mossies as we used 'Bushman's'; repellant which (it seems) is really good.

The pool facilitites there ARE really good and great for the kids to have a dip.

You are right, the beach was deserted, except for us...Bliss!!!!

How are you getting on now you're back in Ole Blighty?
Old May 3rd 2005, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hels
It sounds like you guys had a fantastic time and I am dead jealous!!! I cant wait to get up as far North as you guys are and go camping!!

We went camping last weekend also, but in another world to where you guys were. We were in the Desert on the edge of lakes that have not had water in them for 15,000 years!!!! (pics are on Photopost if your interested)

Hope you continue to have many many happy years of camping!!

Hels
Great pics, Hels.

We are hoping to get out to Chillagoe next camping trip with the M-I-L over the next few weeks, we've heard it's a bit more 'outback' than we've ever been before ( that's the nippers and I, Ste has done it all previously...).

Before that, Ste and I are off to the Mission beach area for a 'mummy and daddy' break ( first time on our own in 7 years!!!), courtesy of the aforementioned M-I-L!!!!

Camping...y'gotta love it!!!
Old May 3rd 2005, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Jill, just looked at my emails but your is no-where to be seen R u sending it to the new one? Will send you a pm.

As for being home, life is good at the moment. Ian's back at work and our son is back at school and me? still a lady of leisure (I am looking though). Weather has be lovely, very springlike and it isn't getting dark until about 8pm.

Mandy
Old May 3rd 2005, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jill, just looked at my emails but your is no-where to be seen R u sending it to the new one? Will send you a pm.

As for being home, life is good at the moment. Ian's back at work and our son is back at school and me? still a lady of leisure (I am looking though). Weather has be lovely, very springlike and it isn't getting dark until about 8pm.

Mandy
Thats great, sounds like you have settled right back into your old life.And the 'lady of leisure' bit can't be bad either!!!
Old May 3rd 2005, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds fantastic Leigh.

May have to reconsider where we move to! Heart says cairns, head says Bris.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.