Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Old Oct 16th 2004, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

I just thought I would say that this is one of the nicest threads I have read on here in a while....

In the months before my Hubby's spouse visa came through and I was reading posts on here about the Country from where I come. I was beginning to think that perhaps, I didnt actually come from the country called Australia that alot of folks on here talk about....Maybe there is a different place called Australia that all the English Expats were heading....Or, was I looking back, after nearly 4 years away, through those ever popular rosey specs?

But I am home again....Been here a week....and I am even more confused than I was when I was still in the UK. The Australia I know is alot different from what alot on here talk about...Oh sure, it aint perfect, but where is?

In my opinion, its as a few have put it....ATTITUDE!!! Its people like most of the ones that have posted in this thread that will succeed no matter where in the world they are.... I dont believe its the Country thats not right for some, its their attitude.

It puts a big smile on my face to read posts like Ste & Leighs to know that there are people coming to my country that love it as much as I do....

Good job, you guys!!!

Hels
xxx
Old Oct 16th 2004, 1:41 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

I always liked the quote from the Terminator movie (2 - I think).

"There's no fate but what we make".

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 16th 2004, 1:55 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hels
I just thought I would say that this is one of the nicest threads I have read on here in a while....

In my opinion, its as a few have put it....ATTITUDE!!! Its people like most of the ones that have posted in this thread that will succeed no matter where in the world they are.... I dont believe its the Country thats not right for some, its their attitude.

It puts a big smile on my face to read posts like Ste & Leighs to know that there are people coming to my country that love it as much as I do....

Good job, you guys!!!

Hels
xxx
Thats it exactly, attitude, I personally knew that I would be happy anywhere in the world, I could make somewhere home wherever. I had never been over here before, I was happy with that and sent hubby last year to check out his views before we applied. We both love being here, but we are positive as to our forthcoming years here.
Jenny
Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
That made me laugh, I come from a family ( of anal retentives ) who believe in keeping the plastic 'covers' on the sofas, so as not to wear the fabric out!!!!! FREAKS!!!!

( I swiftly add: I am not one of them! ). :scared:
His mother is the same - has those plastic strips on the carpet that you get in public buildings, and you have to walk on the strips not on the carpet so that you don't wear it out - this isn't just in the hall, but in the sitting room too....The Bloke has a friend that is even worse than that though - gets you to leave your shoes at the door, but because she has a polished parquet floor, and this is Qld, tyur feet tend to leave a bit of a sweaty mark on the floor....so she follows behind you as you walk into the house, cleaning the floor, and she has even been seen to make you sit down so she can wash your feet with disinfectant if she thinks they are too sweaty.. :scared:
Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels

In the months before my Hubby's spouse visa came through and I was reading posts on here about the Country from where I come. I was beginning to think that perhaps, I didnt actually come from the country called Australia that alot of folks on here talk about....Maybe there is a different place called Australia that all the English Expats were heading....Or, was I looking back, after nearly 4 years away, through those ever popular rosey specs?

But I am home again....Been here a week....and I am even more confused than I was when I was still in the UK. The Australia I know is alot different from what alot on here talk about...Oh sure, it aint perfect, but where is?

Good job, you guys!!!

Hels
xxx
Hiya Hels,

thanks for the 'welcome', we love it here and have made the best decision we ever made.

Hope you are enjoying being 'home' as much as we are.

best wishes, Leigh. xxx
Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:22 pm
Go Banana's !!

I agree with you all. It is all about attitude and I know Jill would certainly be an advocate of that !!

Its really nice to hear from people on here who have embraced Oz, warts and all, and not afraid to ride with the punches !!

If your expectations are realistic then why can't you enjoy yourself and say so on here. The whinging b***ers who look for the negative in everything ought to take a long hard look at themselves before slating everything else.

Great post and keep them coming. I know Jill and I are in Perth (well I am almost) but its good to hear from other parts of Oz as I'm sure we have several years worth of holidays ahead exploring this vast country.

Good luck to you both and keep posting

Best wishes

Warren
Perth in almost a week !! Yipeeeee !!

Old Oct 16th 2004, 3:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hels

You're home now, change the location pet
Old Oct 16th 2004, 4:37 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
I know Jill and I are in Perth (well I am almost) but its good to hear from other parts of Oz as I'm sure we have several years worth of holidays ahead exploring this vast country.
That's something that I'm looking forward to: the opportunity to discover even more of Australia.

Where to start?
Old Oct 16th 2004, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Well hallelujah!!

Soooo...all those months ago... i was laughed at and ridiculed for being happy and liking Australia (in fact some people on here were just downright nasty), couldnt see past their own opinions, and accept some people WILL come here and love it.
I'm really pleased to read this thread. I was told i was being a rose tinted dreamer and once i had been here a while i would come down to earth with a bump(i couldnt possibly know my own mind and if i did i was inferior)..well...ive been here a year now and i'm still as in love with it as i was when i first got here, and this is after a terrible year healthwise, and a couple of deaths in the family.

Good luck to you all...what a breath of fresh air.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 5:35 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Well hallelujah!!

Soooo...all those months ago... i was laughed at and ridiculed for being happy and liking Australia (in fact some people on here were just downright nasty), couldnt see past their own opinions, and accept some people WILL come here and love it.
I'm really pleased to read this thread. I was told i was being a rose tinted dreamer and once i had been here a while i would come down to earth with a bump(i couldnt possibly know my own mind and if i did i was inferior)..well...ive been here a year now and i'm still as in love with it as i was when i first got here, and this is after a terrible year healthwise, and a couple of deaths in the family.

We never doubted you for a minute Podgy !!

Warren
Perth in almost 1 week !!

Old Oct 16th 2004, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thankyou Warren. and i hope you have many happy days in Oz
Old Oct 16th 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Hi Steve and Leigh...

Thanks for an awesome post.....SOOOOOOOOOOO helped us!!....We fly out to November 30th(long story why delayed!!!)....We too have a 6 and a soon to be 4 year old..and posts like this all add to helping to put the worrying questions to the back of the mind and look at the good aspects(the reasons we all have put ourselves through this visa lark!!)...Thanks a lot again....

Scott,Alison,Charlotte and Josh...AKA OE visas and Tony Coates appreciation society!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old Oct 17th 2004, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hels

You're home now, change the location pet

LOL....yeah yeah yeah....I'll get round to it!!

I got the "I'tlle be right" attitude back already!!
Old Oct 17th 2004, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Well hallelujah!!

I just think you are AWESOME!! Simple as that...
Old Oct 17th 2004, 2:30 am
Phoenixuk2oz

No comment

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Oct 18th 2004 at 11:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.