Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Old Oct 15th 2004, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

G'day folks ( well...it had to start like that didn't it?!!!! ),

been here 6 glorious weeks so far and loving every single damn minute of it...( and not ashamed to either - so for all you " oh, its early days, they'll learn "brigade" - GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!!! ).

Life here, for us, is fantastic.

We came over with ourselves, our suitcases, two kids ( aged 6 and 3 ) and the mother-in-law ( whos with us for 8 wks in total ).

We had a months hotel accomodation and that was it ( apart from the dosh in the bank! ).

After two weeks, we had arranged a brand new home to rent and we had bought our own block of land( $125,000 for 700 sq mts ) in the same area, we we are building our own place on ( with the help of a building company ). We are paying $290 a week rent ( yes, i know, fairly expensive-ish, but not as expensive as some other regions and at the end of the day, you either pay low and live in a shitehole or stump up, swallow it and live in relative comfort, which makes the whole transitional period easier ).

Steve had no job to come to ( neither did I, but I am now having a "sabbatical"!!!! until further notice and thinking about going 'back to school' ), but into 'week 3' he decided to go job hunting and CV in hand, he walked into one firm - 3 hours later, they had passed on his details to another firm and he was called, offered an interview, went for it and was offered a job, all on the same day!!!!

"TOO EASY!!!!", as the Cairns folk say!!!!

Steve is on only a pound less an hour than he was in the Uk and all the usual perks associated with the Refrigeration and Air Con trade.

Ste has just completed his first week at work and has absolutely nothing but praise for the company, for his work collegues and for the general way in which the trade ( here ) is run. Completely different ( in every aspect ) to the way Ste was treated in the UK - and he worked for a large "International" company - doesn't mean poo all though, they still treat you like poo if they are so inclined).

Yup, you have to get your licences, it seems like you can't fart over here without having to get a licence to do so first - but so what? Get the license and get on with it.

( At this stage - if there are any frigies out there who would like some advice, feel free to send us a pm, we're only newbies here ourselves, but are happy to pass on any info we may have.)

Our ship is due to arrive in 2 weeks, that is if they can track down our consignment, seems to have gone astray. Thankfully, we didn't ship over our vast collection of priceless family heirlooms and antiques ( 'COS WE DON'T HAVE ANY!!!! ), its just the baby 'photos, i'll be pissed off to lose, if they don't turn up.

The company we used in the U.K, were poo, start to finish ( look back at our previous rantings on this subject ) and we would NOT recommend them, not a cats whisker. ( Bit of a clue there -heh-heh!!!! ).

Anyhow, cest la vie!!!!

Our ickle boy starts school on Monday, again, very pleased with the school, very nice, friendly, academically good and above all the kids seem very happy, its a state school - no private for us, and we shall see what happens. As with everything involving kids, theres always an element of risk - heart in your mouth - will they be ok? etc, etc

But lets face it, unless something majorly catastrophic happens, he's a kid and he's bound to be ok, eh? I'm his mum for gawds sake!!!!

The weather: Up here in Cairns ( when we arrived, it was about 28 degrees ), at the moment its about 30 degrees and ranging from sunny days to the odd shower. ( Ste recorded 38 degrees on his thermometer, in the roof void he was working in this week - bless him!!!! ). So all in all, very pleasant. Of course, we have the lovely, stinking hot ( so I am told ), humid, summer to look forward to and then the 'wet' season - BRING IT ALL ON!!!!!

We don't care, it could pelt down 50 degree heat and Ste would run around banging in the air con for us ( perhaps not run...maybe more of a limp!!! ), it could pelt down tyre sized iceballs from the sky - we don't care....

Australia - Cairns - is everything we expected it to be, nothing more and nothing less.

As I have always said before - we don't miss family and friends - because we are each others family and friends - we've got this one life and we are going to damn well make the best of it.

All this stuff on here about:

"Oh, you can't get good clothes, furniture, consumables", etc, etc, yawn, yawn, NOT TRUE...Not where we are anyway.

Cost of living: hard to say - ROLL OUT THE BOFFINS ON HERE WHO LIKE TO GO ON AND ON ABOUT THE COMPARISONS OF STERLING VERSUS DOLLARS , BLAH BLAH.

If you are spending sterling, some food cheaper, some the same, some clothes cheaper, some the same, some consumable items cheaper, some more expensive. ( NOW THAT"LL REALLY WIND THEM UP!!!!! ).

Ste is earning basically the same as in the uk, so the old addage of " well aussies earn far less than their UK counterparts", doesn't really apply to us.

At the end of the day, it costs what it costs. THE END.

There are many other things to tell, but will give it rest for now as I can see your heads are bowed in sleep on your keyboards,

Cheers, Leigh. xxx
Old Oct 15th 2004, 12:59 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Ditto to all.
We both sat in the local pub tonight and after being here 8 weeks can't imagine going back to the uK. Steves earning more than the uk, so as for earning less than the uk, sorry does not apply. We are in the best situation we have ever been. He can be off 3 months a year and we would still be laughing.
Australia is a lovely place, we havn't overdone the tourist things either, we havn't had the time, so when we do start visiting the attractions we will love it even more.
Our positive attitude before we came out has helped no end, life is what you make it. We are looking forward to being citizens in a couple of years, and feel like we have been here for absolutely ages.
Jenny
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:02 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jensteve
Ditto to all.
We both sat in the local pub tonight and after being here 8 weeks can't imagine going back to the uK. Steves earning more than the uk, so as for earning less than the uk, sorry does not apply. We are in the best situation we have ever been. He can be off 3 months a year and we would still be laughing.
Australia is a lovely place, we havn't overdone the tourist things either, we havn't had the time, so when we do start visiting the attractions we will love it even more.
Our positive attitude before we came out has helped no end, life is what you make it. We are looking forward to being citizens in a couple of years, and feel like we have been here for absolutely ages.
Jenny
ohhh i can't wait now ...

Hurry up feb ...
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
Ditto to all.
Jenny
Hi jen and ste,

nice to hear from another couple of positive thinkers, glad to hear that you are enjoying life and grabbing it by the horns - you only get one.

Good luck to you - not that you'll need it.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:05 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steandleigh
The company we used in the U.K, were poo, start to finish ( look back at our previous rantings on this subject ) and we would NOT recommend them, not a cats whisker. ( Bit of a clue there -heh-heh!!!! ).
I'm obviously missing something as as I don't get the clue!

Which company did you use? PM me if you'd prefer.

We're considering QLD though will probably lean towards Perth.

Anyway, great to hear you're enjoying it all! We'll get there one day!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:12 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Hi jen and ste,

nice to hear from another couple of positive thinkers, glad to hear that you are enjoying life and grabbing it by the horns - you only get one.

Good luck to you - not that you'll need it.
Hello,

Always nice reading this kind of post, so keep it going for a while longer and let us know how you get on. These kinda of post are a great source of information for prospective migrants. Me for example

Kind Regards,
Pedro
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
I'm obviously missing something as as I don't get the clue!

Which company did you use? PM me if you'd prefer.

We're considering QLD though will probably lean towards Perth.

Anyway, great to hear you're enjoying it all! We'll get there one day!
Would rather not 'name, names' as i can't afford a big law suit, but I will say this:

"whats new pussycat?!"

Can ya guess what it is yet?!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

G'day folks ( well...it had to start like that didn't it?!!!! ),

been here 6 glorious weeks so far and loving every single damn minute of it...( and not ashamed to either - so for all you " oh, its early days, they'll learn "brigade" - GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!!! ).

Life here, for us, is fantastic.

We came over with ourselves, our suitcases, two kids ( aged 6 and 3 ) and the mother-in-law ( whos with us for 8 wks in total ).

We had a months hotel accomodation and that was it ( apart from the dosh in the bank! ).

After two weeks, we had arranged a brand new home to rent and we had bought our own block of land( $125,000 for 700 sq mts ) in the same area, we we are building our own place on ( with the help of a building company ). We are paying $290 a week rent ( yes, i know, fairly expensive-ish, but not as expensive as some other regions and at the end of the day, you either pay low and live in a shitehole or stump up, swallow it and live in relative comfort, which makes the whole transitional period easier ).

Steve had no job to come to ( neither did I, but I am now having a "sabbatical"!!!! until further notice and thinking about going 'back to school' ), but into 'week 3' he decided to go job hunting and CV in hand, he walked into one firm - 3 hours later, they had passed on his details to another firm and he was called, offered an interview, went for it and was offered a job, all on the same day!!!!

"TOO EASY!!!!", as the Cairns folk say!!!!

Steve is on only a pound less an hour than he was in the Uk and all the usual perks associated with the Refrigeration and Air Con trade.

Ste has just completed his first week at work and has absolutely nothing but praise for the company, for his work collegues and for the general way in which the trade ( here ) is run. Completely different ( in every aspect ) to the way Ste was treated in the UK - and he worked for a large "International" company - doesn't mean poo all though, they still treat you like poo if they are so inclined).

Yup, you have to get your licences, it seems like you can't fart over here without having to get a licence to do so first - but so what? Get the license and get on with it.

( At this stage - if there are any frigies out there who would like some advice, feel free to send us a pm, we're only newbies here ourselves, but are happy to pass on any info we may have.)

Our ship is due to arrive in 2 weeks, that is if they can track down our consignment, seems to have gone astray. Thankfully, we didn't ship over our vast collection of priceless family heirlooms and antiques ( 'COS WE DON'T HAVE ANY!!!! ), its just the baby 'photos, i'll be pissed off to lose, if they don't turn up.

Anyhow, cest la vie!!!!

Our ickle boy starts school on Monday, again, very pleased with the school, very nice, friendly, academically good and above all the kids seem very happy, its a state school - no private for us, and we shall see what happens. As with everything involving kids, theres always an element of risk - heart in your mouth - will they be ok? etc, etc

But lets face it, unless something majorly catastrophic happens, he's a kid and he's bound to be ok, eh? I'm his mum for gawds sake!!!!

The weather: Up here in Cairns ( when we arrived, it was about 28 degrees ), at the moment its about 30 degrees and ranging from sunny days to the odd shower. ( Ste recorded 38 degrees on his thermometer, in the roof void he was working in this week - bless him!!!! ). So all in all, very pleasant. Of course, we have the lovely, stinking hot ( so I am told ), humid, summer to look forward to and then the 'wet' season - BRING IT ALL ON!!!!!

We don't care, it could pelt down 50 degree heat and Ste would run around banging in the air con for us ( perhaps not run...maybe more of a limp!!! ), it could pelt down tyre sized iceballs from the sky - we don't care....

Australia - Cairns - is everything we expected it to be, nothing more and nothing less.

As I have always said before - we don't miss family and friends - because we are each others family and friends - we've got this one life and we are going to damn well make the best of it.

All this stuff on here about:

"Oh, you can't get good clothes, furniture, consumables", etc, etc, yawn, yawn, NOT TRUE...Not where we are anyway.

Cost of living: hard to say - ROLL OUT THE BOFFINS ON HERE WHO LIKE TO GO ON AND ON ABOUT THE COMPARISONS OF STERLING VERSUS DOLLARS , BLAH BLAH.

If you are spending sterling, some food cheaper, some the same, some clothes cheaper, some the same, some consumable items cheaper, some more expensive. ( NOW THAT"LL REALLY WIND THEM UP!!!!! ).

Ste is earning basically the same as in the uk, so the old addage of " well aussies earn far less than their UK counterparts", doesn't really apply to us.

At the end of the day, it costs what it costs. THE END.

There are many other things to tell, but will give it rest for now as I can see your heads are bowed in sleep on your keyboards,

Cheers, Leigh. xxx
6 weeks, the grass is definately not growing under your feet

It's great to hear you are enjoying yourselves.

Totally agree with all you have said (except the last bit), keep us up to date.

Hev
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:44 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Would rather not 'name, names' as i can't afford a big law suit, but I will say this:

"whats new pussycat?!"

Can ya guess what it is yet?!
Eureka! Only the 'u' is missing?

Wouldn't dream of using who I think you're referring to thanks to this Forum.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:26 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Guys.

Glad to hear it's going so well for you up there. You've picked Australia best spot.

Totally agree with you about the 'they'll learn' and 'can't buy this or that' brigade's.

All the best,

Paul.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by diddy
Nice one Guys.

Glad to hear it's going so well for you up there. You've picked Australia best spot.

Totally agree with you about the 'they'll learn' and 'can't buy this or that' brigade's.

All the best,

Paul.
Hey! paul!

how ya doin'?!!!!!

how long for you and your's now?!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Hi standleigh,
just wondering if there's plenty building work going on in cairns.......the fella (john) is a builder/brickie. we should be on our way to oz round about june/july. going to the goldcoast but cairns does sound great. may have a week there its worth a look.

cheers, lesley :
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:59 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Everything's going well here. We're in the middle of selling everything for as much as we can get.

Look's like we're finally settled on going after Christmas as the Mrs wants to have a final one with the Mum. Can't say I'm best pleased, but we've got the rest of lives to have Christmas in the Sun.

We're still both keen on Cairns, but realistically I'm gonna struggle for work in Cairns, so I reckon we'll head for Brissy, have a couple of years there and then maybe head North.

I'm off home from work soon, so have a great weekend.

Paul.

By the way, what toruisty things have you got upto so far there?
Old Oct 15th 2004, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JJL family
Hi standleigh,
just wondering if there's plenty building work going on in cairns.......the fella (john) is a builder/brickie. we should be on our way to oz round about june/july. going to the goldcoast but cairns does sound great. may have a week there its worth a look.

cheers, lesley :
Hiya lesley,

it said on the news tonight that Cairns has the most tourist visitors ( most popular destination in Australia - personally, I still find that hard to believe over Sydney ) and is the most sort after area ( and biggest developing area ) in all of Australia.

In the "Cairns Post", there are quite a few brickie jobs and there is certainly a lot of development going on up here.

Thats probably because theres a lot of accesible land to build on, so I would say that for the short term - say the next 5 years - there would certainly be enough work to sustain you, after that, I am unsure, as the locals are fairly hard core about their rainforest land and what should be done with it. ( Quite right too - but the nature of Cairns and its position is that it is basically surrounded ((on one side)) by rainforest and mountain ,which, (((unless you are stupid or a yank ))), you would not build on due to land slides, weather conditions etc, etc.

Cairns is the best, if you are looking for the quite life, no worries, no hassles, no traffic and you enjoy the sound of the birds and your own company.

If you are a go-getting, money-investing, filofax-wielding, laptop-tapping type, then don't bother coming up here - you won't fit in and you won't be welcome.

( And yes, I know that Cairns is basically built upon big investors money - I am generally speaking about the day-to-day normal folks which I have come across).

Quiet peeps, who appreciate the "REAL" things in life, which come for free and which you can't buy - thats who Cairns is suited to.

Anyhow - good luck to you and all the best. x
Old Oct 15th 2004, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by diddy
Hi,

Everything's going well here. We're in the middle of selling everything for as much as we can get.

Look's like we're finally settled on going after Christmas as the Mrs wants to have a final one with the Mum. Can't say I'm best pleased, but we've got the rest of lives to have Christmas in the Sun.

We're still both keen on Cairns, but realistically I'm gonna struggle for work in Cairns, so I reckon we'll head for Brissy, have a couple of years there and then maybe head North.

I'm off home from work soon, so have a great weekend.

Paul.

By the way, what toruisty things have you got upto so far there?
Hey Paul!!!

what do you do for a living, again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.