Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi melanie,

whats a PM?!!!

First your hub will need to get an Australian Recognised Tradesmans Certificate (ARTC) from the TRA in Brisbane (even though he has been deemed suitable for a visa, it seems they like you to spend a few more $ and get the cert 1st!!!!!!!). When he's got that, he can apply for a Restricted Electrical Licence, which he should be able to do at his local TAFE College or possibly the local Uni, you would have to call them up to find out exactly what the score is though.

Hope this helps - give us a shout if theres anything else you would like to know!!!!

Best wishes, Leigh.xxx
Hi Leigh,

PM is Project Manager for large air con company in Sydney. He already has his TRA thats how we got here, just needs the electrical licence then - thanks for the info will ring round the Tafe's and find out more.

Loved your postings - keep enjoying life, even though it's raining here today!

Melanie
Old Oct 18th 2004, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MELANIE6
Hi Leigh,

PM is Project Manager for large air con company in Sydney. He already has his TRA thats how we got here, just needs the electrical licence then - thanks for the info will ring round the Tafe's and find out more.

Loved your postings - keep enjoying life, even though it's raining here today!

Melanie
Hi mel,

you misunderstand me - even though your hub HAS his TRA ( pre requisite for the visa application ), he will now have to get the ARTC from the same place: TRA, Brisbane office. Contact a guy called Dave Brazier - he deals with all the applications.

Your hubby can THEN apply for a Restricted Electrical Licence, after sitting the course at college.

Best wishes, Leigh. xxx

Last edited by steandleigh; Oct 18th 2004 at 1:11 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mel,

you misunderstand me - even though your hub HAS his TRA ( pre requisite for the visa application ), he will now have to get the ARTC from the same place: TRA, Brisbane office. Contact a guy called Dave Brazier - he deals with all the applications.

Your hubby can THEN apply for a Restricted Electrical Licence, after sitting the course at college.

Best wishes, Leigh. xxx
Hi Leigh,
Your thread is really informative, keep it up.It's always nice to read such informative posts. Hubs too is in Refrig.& Aircon. You've mentioned that your hubs got a job within 3 weeks of arriving in Oz., did he have the above licences at the time he was offered the job?
Or is it possible to start working before obtaining these licences.
Also how long does it take to obtain the above licences and if you don't mind could u give us a brief outline of the procedure involved.
Also seen a job posting asking for CFC Licence? Has your hubs obtained that too.

Too many questions I guess and though I would love 2 send u a pm, thought it wud be better to put it up on the forum so that your reply cud help others too.
Thanks in advance, and u can send me a pm if you wish.
Sarah
Old Oct 19th 2004, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough

Hi mel,

Best wishes, Leigh. xxx
Hi Leigh

Will give him a call, Thanks for that matey!!

Melanie
Old Oct 19th 2004, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scitta
Hi Leigh,
Your thread is really informative, keep it up.It's always nice to read such informative posts. Hubs too is in Refrig.& Aircon. You've mentioned that your hubs got a job within 3 weeks of arriving in Oz., did he have the above licences at the time he was offered the job?
Or is it possible to start working before obtaining these licences.
Also how long does it take to obtain the above licences and if you don't mind could u give us a brief outline of the procedure involved.
Also seen a job posting asking for CFC Licence? Has your hubs obtained that too.

Too many questions I guess and though I would love 2 send u a pm, thought it wud be better to put it up on the forum so that your reply cud help others too.
Thanks in advance, and u can send me a pm if you wish.
Sarah
Hiya sarah,

its a bit of a catch 22 situation with the licences and getting jobs - you can't do the Restricted Electrical Licence without having a job and you can't get a job without the Restricted Electrical Licence!

We were lucky that ste walked into a firm who passed on his details to another firm, who were willing to take him on, on the proviso that he do the course - in actual fact we found out from his boss yesterday that they have enrolled him on the course and he goes next friday!!!!

It sounds like far from being a long drawn out thing, they ( the college assessors) will assess ste's competency ( especially procedural - they are BIG on health and safety here) and if they deem him suitable, they will sign him off and give him the piece of paper - will let you know how this pans out.

The ARTC, we are still waiting for, apparently the board only convenes once every 4 or 5 weeks and so its a waiting game.

All this means that you are limited, as a frigie / air-con man, as to what you can do until your licensing comes through, but you are able to work if you can get a firm to take you on.

As far as procedure goes - contact the TRA in Bris, AHEAD of you going - Dave Brazier is your man, and he will put you onto the necessary forms you need etc. When you get here, apply for the ARTC straightaway, as it takes time.

Up here, air con is an absolute necessity ( the work is mostly air-con, rather than fridge ) and so good engineers are snapped up.

Ste went on a wicked job yesterday - he had to take an hour and a half ride out to the reef ( Normanton reef? ) to fix the air con on a semi-submersible!!!! He did the job and had 2 hours to spare, so got a freebie snorkelling trip!!!! Jammy sod!!!!

Hard day at the office, dear?!!!!!!

Hope this helps - will let you know about the CFC licensing tomorrow ( and the addresses ),when I ask ste, as he is zedding now.

Best wishes, Leigh.xxx
Old Oct 20th 2004, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya sarah,

its a bit of a catch 22 situation with the licences and getting jobs - you can't do the Restricted Electrical Licence without having a job and you can't get a job without the Restricted Electrical Licence!

We were lucky that ste walked into a firm who passed on his details to another firm, who were willing to take him on, on the proviso that he do the course - in actual fact we found out from his boss yesterday that they have enrolled him on the course and he goes next friday!!!!

It sounds like far from being a long drawn out thing, they ( the college assessors) will assess ste's competency ( especially procedural - they are BIG on health and safety here) and if they deem him suitable, they will sign him off and give him the piece of paper - will let you know how this pans out.

The ARTC, we are still waiting for, apparently the board only convenes once every 4 or 5 weeks and so its a waiting game.

All this means that you are limited, as a frigie / air-con man, as to what you can do until your licensing comes through, but you are able to work if you can get a firm to take you on.

As far as procedure goes - contact the TRA in Bris, AHEAD of you going - Dave Brazier is your man, and he will put you onto the necessary forms you need etc. When you get here, apply for the ARTC straightaway, as it takes time.

Up here, air con is an absolute necessity ( the work is mostly air-con, rather than fridge ) and so good engineers are snapped up.

Ste went on a wicked job yesterday - he had to take an hour and a half ride out to the reef ( Normanton reef? ) to fix the air con on a semi-submersible!!!! He did the job and had 2 hours to spare, so got a freebie snorkelling trip!!!! Jammy sod!!!!

Hard day at the office, dear?!!!!!!

Hope this helps - will let you know about the CFC licensing tomorrow ( and the addresses ),when I ask ste, as he is zedding now.

Best wishes, Leigh.xxx
Thanks Leigh, very useful info.

Regards, Sarah
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:06 am
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done!! we feel exactly the same been her 5 months and wouldn't change it for anything in the world. You wouldn't get this life in good old blighty, now would you.

Love the bit about the family being your friends as well you are so right....

Cheers and have lots of fun

Lara