Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:37 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ste and Leigh's thoughts on Oz......

Accountant, but I wouldn't have a clue in practice, so I'd have to work for a reasonalbe sized company.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mayve I should have moved to Cairns, then I wouldn't be homeless for the second time on a year, wouldn't be wondering how to get my name on a house rental agreement when I even get laughed out of shops for trying to buy a fridge on a temp visa, and wouldn't have come home to find The Bloke has thrown away the carpet for some unknown reason so I'm back to walking on lino.........

Ste and Leigh - I'm REALLY glad its working out for you; and I hope it keeps going well, you're so positive and have inspired me more than once.
Just don't forget, we aren't all as lucky as you are.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 1:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear ya still got those big boots on and ya sound really happy Stan.

Are you going to answer my PM or have you forgot how to use this site ?
Old Oct 16th 2004, 1:48 am
Badge

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hiya lesley,

Cairns is the best, if you are looking for the quite life, no worries, no hassles, no traffic and you enjoy the sound of the birds and your own company.

Quiet peeps, who appreciate the "REAL" things in life, which come for free and which you can't buy - thats who Cairns is suited to.

Anyhow - good luck to you and all the best. x
Nice one....you get this weeks 'think like Badge' award for having the right attitude. Attitude! I'll say it again...Attitude!!!

all the best

BM

Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Good post you guys!!

We've been in Brisbane and think exactly the same!!

Let the bloody wingers winge and we'll live I lives as full as we can!!

Well said Badge
Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:22 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Billabong
Good post you guys!!

We've been in Brisbane and think exactly the same!!

Let the bloody wingers winge and we'll live I lives as full as we can!!

Well said Badge
Yep.....include us in the non-winging team too please

Fed up to the back teeth of hearing the same old "woe-be-me" wingers who think they're the only ones who have bad days

Like Badge says....it's about attitute, the RIGHT attitude i.e getting on with it & taking the rough with the smooth....The key is to enjoy this country for its beauty, its difference and its individuality. It IS NOT the bloody UK

Old Oct 16th 2004, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Leigh
i couldn't have said it better myself, everything you say is sooo true, well it is for us and for you eh?!
we've been here a month and one week, we won't be going back to the uk to live ever!
Mark is in work, earning the same as he did in the uk, he's just had an hourly pay rise! but he's not not working weekends and is home by 3.30pm every day!
Chanelle is in school and went on a trip to the Port of Brisbane last week, the trip wasn't called off because it might rain! She's learning Japanese, there was no talk of her learning a second language in the uk, at least not till she would've been to high school! She's having horse riding lessons, something we couldn't have afforded in the uk, all in she's loving it.
Most of all we are spending quality time together as a family (something we didn't do in the uk as Mark worked most weekends)!
Australia is everything we could have wished for and more, glad that you are settling in so well mate, really enjoyed reading your update
with love and hugs
Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxxx
Old Oct 16th 2004, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Mayve I should have moved to Cairns, then I wouldn't be homeless for the second time on a year, wouldn't be wondering how to get my name on a house rental agreement when I even get laughed out of shops for trying to buy a fridge on a temp visa, and wouldn't have come home to find The Bloke has thrown away the carpet for some unknown reason so I'm back to walking on lino.........

Ste and Leigh - I'm REALLY glad its working out for you; and I hope it keeps going well, you're so positive and have inspired me more than once.
Just don't forget, we aren't all as lucky as you are.
Hi Polly, I have been away for a while, so haven't been following your story recently, sounds like you've been having a bit of bother.

Thanks for the kind wishes, I do have to say though, that we aren't 'lucky', theres nothing lucky about making the 'move', its down to decision making and planning, theres nothing 'lucky' about making the right decisions for your family ( even if they end up being the wrong ones maybe ), we all make our own luck and we (ste and I) are happy with what we have,we know our limits, we don't reach for the stars, that's all.

(And why has the bloke thrown out the carpet???!!!! ). xxx
Old Oct 16th 2004, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Nice one....you get this weeks 'think like Badge' award for having the right attitude. Attitude! I'll say it again...Attitude!!!

all the best

BM
Cheers matey!!!
Old Oct 16th 2004, 12:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh

(And why has the bloke thrown out the carpet???!!!! ). xxx
Cos he thought that if the man delivering the fridge walked on it, he might mess it up....? Qld logic, like the logic that says I have to have an old torn curtain covering the sofa, cos sitting on the sofa itself might wear it out......!!!!
Found the carpet eventually, rolled up in the back of the spare room.....nearly wrapped it round his head!
Old Oct 16th 2004, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nosuchluck
Leigh
i couldn't have said it better myself, everything you say is sooo true, well it is for us and for you eh?!
we've been here a month and one week, we won't be going back to the uk to live ever!
Mark is in work, earning the same as he did in the uk, he's just had an hourly pay rise! but he's not not working weekends and is home by 3.30pm every day!
Chanelle is in school and went on a trip to the Port of Brisbane last week, the trip wasn't called off because it might rain! She's learning Japanese, there was no talk of her learning a second language in the uk, at least not till she would've been to high school! She's having horse riding lessons, something we couldn't have afforded in the uk, all in she's loving it.
Most of all we are spending quality time together as a family (something we didn't do in the uk as Mark worked most weekends)!
Australia is everything we could have wished for and more, glad that you are settling in so well mate, really enjoyed reading your update
with love and hugs
Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxxx
'Ello Rach,

really pleased to hear that Australia is everything you wished for and that you have all settled in so quickly.

I, too, am having to get used to the fact that Ste now comes home from work early ( ste works 7-4), which was unheard of in the uk.

As a consequence of that, the kids get to spend more fun time with their dad and I get to see more of me best mate - PERFECT!!!!!

God bless Australia, I say.

( I can feel the national anthem coming on - have taught the kids it already and am thinking of making it an institution at meal times, a bit like saying 'grace', but far, far, LOUDER!!!!!! )
Old Oct 16th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Cos he thought that if the man delivering the fridge walked on it, he might mess it up....? Qld logic, like the logic that says I have to have an old torn curtain covering the sofa, cos sitting on the sofa itself might wear it out......!!!!
Found the carpet eventually, rolled up in the back of the spare room.....nearly wrapped it round his head!
That made me laugh, I come from a family ( of anal retentives ) who believe in keeping the plastic 'covers' on the sofas, so as not to wear the fabric out!!!!! FREAKS!!!!

( I swiftly add: I am not one of them! ). :scared:
Old Oct 16th 2004, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
Nice to hear ya still got those big boots on and ya sound really happy Stan.

Are you going to answer my PM or have you forgot how to use this site ?
Sorry Bix, been really busy.

Have sent you a PM.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

What an excellent thread! So good to read a few 'positives'.

Hope we feel the same way about Cairns as you do when we arrive there in 2 weeks time - I'm sure we will as we can't wait to touch down! We will also be going with an 'open mind', and are looking forward to the 'Australian' way of life.

Really glad everything is going so well for all of you.

Take care

Old Oct 16th 2004, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello, Da boss,

not long now 'til touchdown, eh?!!!!

having an 'open mind' ( IMO ) is the only way to be, life has so many twists and turns and is so unpredictable, you may as well go for it, grab it by the nuts and enjoy. ( That sounds a bit sado masochistic, eh?!!!! ). You know what i'm saying!!!!

Cairns will be everything you want it to be, so long as you can see the bigger picture - and that is this:

One day you will die, then you won't have to worry about anything, 'cos you'll be gone and someone else will have taken your place on the conveyor belt of life. Just enjoy it for what it is: a great adventure. ( That is life itself - not just the move to Oz ).

( And no, i'm not some religious nutcase, just a bit philosophical, and glad to be so. )

Hop onto our cloud - its great up here!!!!!

Best wishes, Leigh. xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.