Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Staying connected to home country via mobile

Staying connected to home country via mobile

Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:18 am
Just Joined

euveng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Staying connected to home country via mobile

Hi all, I recently moved to Australia and I have this problem bugging me much.

During this transitional period, I still maintain my home country mobile and I'm getting calls on it frequently. I don't want to take my calls selectively, but I also don't want to pay exorbitant international roaming fees.

Can anyone suggest a service that lets me receive calls on my home country mobile without the roaming charges? Some sort of international call-forwarding. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ev
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Staying connected to home country via mobile

Skype free on a wifi connection. iMessage or whatsapp free messaging with 3G...
Old Mar 18th 2014, 10:59 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I think the way I would do it is to set the UK mobile service to redirect all calls to a fixed line UK VoIP number. Then have a VoIP service running on your mobile (or fixed service) in Australia, connected in to that UK VoIP service. UK Mobile services seem to have to redirect to UK fixed or mobile services only.

Cost would be the sub to the UK mobile service, and the cost of the data service in Australia.

eg sipgate.co.uk & https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.android.app
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexswift
Hello and welcome to OZ

It depends where your mobile is currently, AU or UK.

Id post it back to the UK of course telling porkies to Australia Post who wont let you put a battery in the post and send it back to the UK. I would co-locate it with you parents and permanently divert you number to a Skype Out number. If you have enough min's per months if will be free.

So when people call your mobile it in turn forwards the call to Skype who will deliver it to the Skype app on you iPhone or Droid.

Skype works a treat over Telstra 4G and if its just voice not video calls you wont blow your data allowance.
I'm surprised that anyone would advise someone to lie so that they can send an item that has been deemed a hazard to aircraft, most particularly when in an unpressurised cargo area.

Whether you agree or not with Australia Post rules (and those of the International Air Transport Association), they are the rules and there's no codicil saying that if you think it's a crock, just lie to get around it.