Reload this Page >

Stay in UK? or GO TO OZ???

Stay in UK? or GO TO OZ???

Old Nov 27th 2014, 10:41 am
Just Joined

POMnIrish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stay in UK? or GO TO OZ???

Hi
My husband has just been offered a job in Bowral NSW. We have wanted to relocate to oz for years but as we got older and it became less likely to happen we have started to settle in UK. This move is a gamble of savings and two jobs ...not that is stopping us. Anyone know anything about Bowral? Life still very expensive out there? Renting in the outskirts (think 2 hrs to Sydney) still really expensive? Any advice? Any for against arguments? At the age where kids are in discussion which is another factor for consideration........ADVICE WELCOME. Again still leaning more to yes than no.....
Old Nov 27th 2014, 10:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in UK? or GO TO OZ???

Originally Posted by POMnIrish
Hi
My husband has just been offered a job in Bowral NSW. We have wanted to relocate to oz for years but as we got older and it became less likely to happen we have started to settle in UK. This move is a gamble of savings and two jobs ...not that is stopping us. Anyone know anything about Bowral? Life still very expensive out there? Renting in the outskirts (think 2 hrs to Sydney) still really expensive? Any advice? Any for against arguments? At the age where kids are in discussion which is another factor for consideration........ADVICE WELCOME. Again still leaning more to yes than no.....
Have you got or do you qualify for a visa?

What age are your kids??....Or have I misunderstood and you are planning to have kids?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 10:50 am
Just Joined

POMnIrish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby been offered sponsorship, contract should arrive today so now or never decision! No kids but in future plans.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 12:12 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
No one else can tell you whether you should stay or go to be honest, it is something only you can decide. When was the last time enough visited Australia, where did you go and what we're your thoughts at the time ? Australia has become an expensive country in recent times and the economy is slowing. It's another 1st world country with all the same problems. As I say it really is something only the 2 of you can decide.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Let me just clarify a couple of bits of mis information that was given to you. Its no more expensive that the UK as a general rule. Depends on your salary and location of course. In my case and with my salary I find Oz cheaper than the UK. The economy is growing. Not declining as was said. If it was declining it would be called a recession.

Bowral is a nice little country town. A lot cheaper to rent or buy than in a place like Sydney.

All I can say is, you only live once. If you don't do what will be the regret factor?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
If you have wanted to do it for years and now have the option it seems like a bit of a no brainer to me.

I find Sydney incredibly expensive for housing costs, everything else seems to be swings and roundabouts and I don't over analyse. You are far enough out from Sydney to not be troubled by expensive housing though. You can check prices on www.domain.com.au.

If you want to get a feel for standard of living, don't use current exchange rates. If the salary in $ is about 2 to 2.5 times the GBP then your financial health will feel much the same. If it is less, well it is for you to decide if it is worth it, money is important but it isn't everything.

Think about your visa. Job offers and sponsorship usually come with temporary visa and temporary visas do not become permanent with the passage of time as many people seem to believe. To get a permanent visa, you need to qualify and apply for one.

Temporary visas are temporary and always will be, they can mean people having to leave the country suddenly if the job comes to an end. This is something you should be mindful of on this visa particularly as the economy in Australia is sluggish at the moment, unemployment has been increasing and is a touch higher than in the UK at the moment.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Bowral is beautiful in a pretty countryside way. Weather on the mid - milder side of the Australian climate. One of the nicer areas in OZ I think.

Sydney is one of the worlds most expensive cities. You would have to look into bowral house prices, obvioulsy not sydney but pretty towns not that far in australian terms IME can have some ridiculous prices if you want something really nice.

EG we were told Mt Macedon was cheap ( hour from melb ). WRONG! Its damn expensive unless you want a wreck and comes with mental building regs where often the wreck ( which looks wonderful in the internet pics of course) you buy is the only thing allowed on that land ever! Also vacant land there that cant be built on or is vacant due to extreme bushfire regs.

Economy, you only have to look at recent budgets to see its struggling. One factor, its a Vast country with a harsh climate and only a tiny working population to pay for it all, taxes are high, especially if you earn well. Lots of different rules, huge family welfare payments but asset and income testing for pensioners. Very different to say the NHS system. Medical care is a lot of user pays ( or at least a portion ).

So like every country it has its beautiful areas, and its problems. Dont expect paradise, expect a different life for a few years or how ever long you stay.

Any move you make will always be easier before kids, especially teens! however once kids do arrive isolation from extended family can become a minus.

Job offer and one of nicest areas you have a lot going for you if its what YOU want

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 27th 2014 at 8:16 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:06 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you have wanted to do it for years and now have the option it seems like a bit of a no brainer to me.

I find Sydney incredibly expensive for housing costs, everything else seems to be swings and roundabouts and I don't over analyse. You are far enough out from Sydney to not be troubled by expensive housing though. You can check prices on www.domain.com.au.

If you want to get a feel for standard of living, don't use current exchange rates. If the salary in $ is about 2 to 2.5 times the GBP then your financial health will feel much the same. If it is less, well it is for you to decide if it is worth it, money is important but it isn't everything.

Think about your visa. Job offers and sponsorship usually come with temporary visa and temporary visas do not become permanent with the passage of time as many people seem to believe. To get a permanent visa, you need to qualify and apply for one.

Temporary visas are temporary and always will be, they can mean people having to leave the country suddenly if the job comes to an end. This is something you should be mindful of on this visa particularly as the economy in Australia is sluggish at the moment, unemployment has been increasing and is a touch higher than in the UK at the moment.
Speaking for myself, I wouldn't consider a temporary visa unless temporarary is all I ever want it to be.

Other than that, it's too personal - only the OP can decide. Maybe try writing up a pros list and a cons list? Or perform a SWOT analysis...

Last edited by paulry; Nov 27th 2014 at 9:46 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:15 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to have the opportunity to try things out.
Housing in Bowral is cheaper than Sydney, but likely expensive compared to some parts of UK/Ireland. I have found things like petrol cheaper but food especially more expensive than uk. However if you are earning in $ you soon stop making comparisons.
Ask yourself what is the worst that can happen if you come? You hate it and go home. If you don't come, will you regret not taking the opportunity? Only you can decide these things.
You say you have two jobs. What do you do and do you think you will be able to do this in Bowral? If not, do you have transferrable skills. Some relocations fail because the spouse is bored, isolated and unhappy. Are you very close to your family, ie seeing them every week? This can also be a factor
Good luck with the decision
Old Nov 28th 2014, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Bowral is a nice place to retire to. I was surprised at the cost of real estate when schmoozing round the town centre there a while ago - still pretty expensive. It's close enough to Sydney that you could get your urban buzz if you chose. Unless you are prepared for it to be temporary then I wouldn't take a temporary visa - especially if kids feature in your future.

Don't burn any bridges - take career breaks, don't sell your home etc and have a short term adventure by all means.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 5:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW we live in "Burradoo Actually", which is a couple of minutes South of Bowral. Where and what is the job? Happy to help.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 5:34 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clear up some misinformation, it was said the economy is slowing, this is a fact. There was no mention of an economy in decline, merely slowing.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Bowral is a nice place to retire to. I was surprised at the cost of real estate when schmoozing round the town centre there a while ago - still pretty expensive. It's close enough to Sydney that you could get your urban buzz if you chose. Unless you are prepared for it to be temporary then I wouldn't take a temporary visa - especially if kids feature in your future.

Don't burn any bridges - take career breaks, don't sell your home etc and have a short term adventure by all means.
Simpy put, anywhere truly attractive in Australia, even in the country, is not cheap.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Nov 29th 2014 at 9:46 pm. Reason: Edit to get rid of extra spaces before commas...there was an old poster , that used to do that , now who was it.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Simpy put, anywhere truly attractive in Australia, even in the country, is not cheap.
That would be right! Spot on!
Old Nov 30th 2014, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There are some gems if you drive around a lot.

Armidale is my favourite, truly stunning in parts, cheap as and thriving due to the UNI that way. Nearly purchased a historic cottage there it was so cheap Winter and Fall there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.