Stay or Go,

Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of
Default Stay or Go,

This has probably been asked before, but for all expats
Will You stay in the country you emigrated to?
Will you go somewhere else that isn't UK?
Or will you/ do you want to go back to UK to live, now or in the future?

Last edited by passthevalium; Mar 11th 2013 at 12:59 am.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay or Go,

Yes
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows. Don't have life mapped out like that.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:06 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not going to stay in Aus in the near future but may retire there
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

monkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud of

No , back to the UK after 4+ years here.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 4:31 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to stay in Singapore permanently, but will be moving to Sydney this year for who knows how long. Still miss the UK, but I think Singapore is ultimately where I'd like to be. Moving anywhere from here seems like a massive downgrade in so many ways...
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:50 pm
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by passthevalium
This has probably been asked before, but for all expats
Will You stay in the country you emigrated to?
Will you go somewhere else that isn't UK?
Or will you/ do you want to go back to UK to live, now or in the future?
We moved to NZ in 2005, after 7 years moved to Qld in Dec 2012 and after 4 months we now are starting the process of moving back to NZ, OZ is not the place for us and we see NZ as home not the UK!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Came to aus for 6 years, went back to the uk for 1 year, then back to aus for 1 year now. Currently trying to decide what to do next. I wake up everyday trying to decide wether to return to the uk, and go to bed still undecided
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:15 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahinnz
We moved to NZ in 2005, after 7 years moved to Qld in Dec 2012 and after 4 months we now are starting the process of moving back to NZ, OZ is not the place for us and we see NZ as home not the UK!
Was there anything specific about Aus/QLD that put you off so soon after moving? I actually know quite a few people who have gone from NZ to the UK, so it seems like there is a lot of two-way traffic there.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:54 pm
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by astera
Was there anything specific about Aus/QLD that put you off so soon after moving? I actually know quite a few people who have gone from NZ to the UK, so it seems like there is a lot of two-way traffic there.
Its really a few reasons, my boys are 13 and 16.5. They are finding it extremely hard to settle, My oldest son works full time is saving like crazy and is adamant he's returning to NZ to live after Xmas. My youngest son is also unhappy. We moved to a small town where like everyone else comes just because the money was good but it is known for people just passing through for work. Getting used to permanent dark night by 7pm, being constantly bitten by bugs, the harsh sun during the day where its just too hot to do simple tasks like walk your dog! And also miss going for tramps and walks without having to worry about snakes, spiders etc is harder than I thought.
We realise now that the NZ climate & lifestyle suits us better. We wanted to come and have a go but nobody is happy and at the end of the day life's too short, I just want my children to be happy. Even though financially we are better off in OZ, NZ is where my family want to be and I believe and have taught my kids money is not everything if your not happy. So back to NZ were going and are very happy about it.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

Its really a few reasons, my boys are 13 and 16.5. They are finding it extremely hard to settle, My oldest son works full time is saving like crazy and is adamant he's returning to NZ to live after Xmas. My youngest son is also unhappy. We moved to a small town where like everyone else comes just because the money was good but it is known for people just passing through for work. Getting used to permanent dark night by 7pm, being constantly bitten by bugs, the harsh sun during the day where its just too hot to do simple tasks like walk your dog! And also miss going for tramps and walks without having to worry about snakes, spiders etc is harder than I thought.
We realise now that the NZ climate & lifestyle suits us better. We wanted to come and have a go but nobody is happy and at the end of the day life's too short, I just want my children to be happy. Even though financially we are better off in OZ, NZ is where my family want to be and I believe and have taught my kids money is not everything if your not happy. So back to NZ were going and are very happy about it.
just out of intrest what is you husbands thoughts on the move? We spent some time in NZ then came to OZ. Im not a great fan of NZ but my wife prefers it to here for similar reasons to what you have.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:39 pm

Interesting read, many thanks for the insight. I would have thought that the kids would have preferred Australia. Is Queensland really that bad when in comes to bugs, early darkness, snakes and the general way of life?

Whereabouts in NZ do you live if you don't mind me asking - maybe it's a really great place to be and the kids love it for all the right reasons?

Personally I'm really with you on putting the emphasis on happiness over everything else. This is the only way forward. At the end of the day it's how happy you are that determines whether you've made the best choice. It really is as simple as that.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Molly dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing your experience Sarahinnz. We're in the same position having been ping pong pommes between UK and NZ since 2000. This time have been in NZ for 2 yrs and thought it was for good. I love the country and not home sick - but the cost of living is soo expensive in relation to salary, even as a professional couple. Just over the last few years people of are really struggling. I get frustrated with lack of infrastructure, expensive health/dental. Substandard housing is accepted despite threats to turf NZ out of the OECD. No government intervention in real issues. That's the trade off. So recently have started to look into Oz on a 189/190. The scenery and beaches here are all well n good, but, that doesn’t pay the bills!!!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly dog
Thanks for sharing your experience Sarahinnz. We're in the same position having been ping pong pommes between UK and NZ since 2000. This time have been in NZ for 2 yrs and thought it was for good. I love the country and not home sick - but the cost of living is soo expensive in relation to salary, even as a professional couple. Just over the last few years people of are really struggling. I get frustrated with lack of infrastructure, expensive health/dental. Substandard housing is accepted despite threats to turf NZ out of the OECD. No government intervention in real issues. That's the trade off. So recently have started to look into Oz on a 189/190. The scenery and beaches here are all well n good, but, that doesn’t pay the bills!!!
You might find similar problems in aus. For example perth has very bad housing, there is such a shortage of rentals here that the owners can let them get into really terrible conditions but know someone will still rent it. I have been to see so many rentals that are just appalling, with filthy conditions, walls and roofs crumbling, 1920's style wallpaper and carpets. Some were just shocking I wouldnt want a dog living there let alone people.

Although the money is better the cost of living is very high as well, food especially is expensive.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dave99
You might find similar problems in aus. For example perth has very bad housing, there is such a shortage of rentals here that the owners can let them get into really terrible conditions but know someone will still rent it. I have been to see so many rentals that are just appalling, with filthy conditions, walls and roofs crumbling, 1920's style wallpaper and carpets. Some were just shocking I wouldnt want a dog living there let alone people.
I fully agree on the poor state of many rentals. However, a landlord on my street doesn't rent out his property anymore because he has at least 3 tenants who either damaged the house or didn't pay the rent and simply disappeared, one of them were English. Over the years he improved the house and everything was in order. The owner is a businessman, he doesn't need the rental income. But you are right, I dare to say, many many landlords give a sh.. about their property, they know somebody will move in. That's why I say to newbees to Australia, try to get the newest house available, it will be in a better condition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.