Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Statutory Declarations 'They moved the goal posts'

Statutory Declarations 'They moved the goal posts'

Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Statutory Declarations 'They moved the goal posts'

Thank you to those in the forum for bringing to my attention the recent changes to Immigration forms. In my particular case I was a few day away from popping everything into the post when I thought I’d just ‘check in case’.

Form 47SP (Application by a partner) originally worded requested ‘Stat Decs’ ‘from two individuals’. The amended form now reads ‘from individuals who are Australian citizens or permanent residents’. Makes life slightly more awkward!

It may be worthwhile checking your own relevant forms.

‘Be Alert – Australia needs lerts’
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Statutory Declarations 'They moved the goal posts'

Originally posted by scotvness
Thank you to those in the forum for bringing to my attention the recent changes to Immigration forms. In my particular case I was a few day away from popping everything into the post when I thought I’d just ‘check in case’.

Form 47SP (Application by a partner) originally worded requested ‘Stat Decs’ ‘from two individuals’. The amended form now reads ‘from individuals who are Australian citizens or permanent residents’. Makes life slightly more awkward!

Aha - that is what has been confusing me - I thought I was just being dim. This could make it really hard. Do they honestly mean you have to know 2 resident Australians well enough for them to do a stat dec for you, or they won't let you in??????
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

scottvness - you could cross-post this on the immigration board

K_M
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:53 pm
WBB

Originally posted by koala_mac
Aha - that is what has been confusing me - I thought I was just being dim. This could make it really hard. Do they honestly mean you have to know 2 resident Australians well enough for them to do a stat dec for you, or they won't let you in??????

surely not, they cannot expect us to know 2 aussie's, can they?

somebody help.

Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Jacko_22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed this too and my hubby said 'That can't possibly be right'.

I think it's a little rich expecting that people who know no one need stat decs from 2 Aussie citizens. I am an Aussie and am struggling to find more then one person who knows my hubby and myself since we got married here in the UK.

Does anyone know if you can have family members write these or does it have to be an unrelated person?

Thanks

Mrs Jacko
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:57 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

And i may be wrong but you need to get a certified copy of the passport page(photo)if citizen or sticker page if PR to prove that they are Aussie citizens or perm. residents

Maybe somebody could clarify this bit as well

Be Alert – Australia needs lerts’
LoL - Are we refering to a certain TV ad here????
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:16 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scotvness

Oh dear, sounds like a trip to the register office for us then!!!!!
Didnt know the Moral Police operated in Oz!?!?

Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, the Stat decs from Aussies have always needed a certified copy of passport/birth cert attached - my mother-in-law only had the short version of her birth cert, but they accepted that.

Secondly, don't panic, its not as bad as it sounds. Family members can do them - we had them from my Bloke's brother, mum, and sister-in-law's mum, as well as from a friend. They put their relationship to the applicant on the form, so its quite clear who they are.
We also got Stat decs from people in the UK - my sister, and a couple of friends - at the time none of them had met my Bloke, and my sister hadn't even spoken to him on the phone. All they put in the Stat decs was that they knew all about the relationship, they were looking forward to meeting him, my sister's kids were thrilled at having an Aussie uncle, and stuff about how they were pleased that I was so happy.
We were told that what "they" are looking for is evidence that its a true relationship, and you can prove that by things as simple as writing a Stat dec to say that although you haven't met YET, your arrival in Oz is eagerly awaited. I'm sure most couples where one of you is an Aussie have some friends or family over here who know that your relationship exists, and who have had some sort of contact, even if only by phone or letter.
Hope that helps a bit?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:57 pm
WBB

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Oh dear, sounds like a trip to the register office for us then!!!!!
Didnt know the Moral Police operated in Oz!?!?

oh dont say that now you will be giving my bird ideas!!!!

Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:04 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, how interesting this.
Well, luckily, we'll be fine.
My dad's an Aussie citizen (that's why I am an aussie citizen), and I have a few friends in Oz who Pascal has met in Oz, on holliday, and they've been here too.
Oh thought of another, friends of my parents, dutch also, but lived in Oz for 15 years, are now also back in Holland. They know Pascal well too, he's made the guys website!

Phew!

By the way, it's 6 am here. Can't sleep. I think I have pre wedding jitters. I'm starting to feel sicker in my stomach by the minute (or maybe I'm just hungry!)
Not that I'm worried about the getting married part, it's just all the organisation, getting myself there on time, getting everybody to the places for lunch and dinner (we have to drive a bit in between each thing).

Anyway, this is our first official step to immigration! Woohhooooo! (not that that's the only reason for getting married, but otherwise we would've waited a couple of years!)
Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:37 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You put it so well Simone, its not the wedding itsefl, its all the stuff that goes with it.
Pick a good friend, tell him/her they are in charge, then sit back and enjoy it! Its your day after all.

Ours isn't till January, but I'm already getting - can't do it then, thats too late in the day (11am??), what shoes should I wear - black or white, neither of them fit properly (MIL!), do you want a nice gooey wedding cake (NO!!! Furit and icing!), and "you can go there in our car, not hire something swish cos its cheaper! ARGHH! get me outta here!
The only thing I am sure - it made migration seem likea walk on the beach!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:56 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
You put it so well Simone, its not the wedding itsefl, its all the stuff that goes with it.
Pick a good friend, tell him/her they are in charge, then sit back and enjoy it! Its your day after all.

Ours isn't till January, but I'm already getting - can't do it then, thats too late in the day (11am??), what shoes should I wear - black or white, neither of them fit properly (MIL!), do you want a nice gooey wedding cake (NO!!! Furit and icing!), and "you can go there in our car, not hire something swish cos its cheaper! ARGHH! get me outta here!
The only thing I am sure - it made migration seem likea walk on the beach!
Too late now, I've got a few hours to go! Well, none actually, gotta go have a shower now, then of to hairdressers, then to parents in law for coffie, then to town hall etc etc.

But I like organising, it's part of the fun. I'm glad the nerves didn't start earlier (I wonder how I'll be migrating ??? Now I don't mind the 'reality' posts at all, but how will I be in a few months...aaaargggghhhh)
Luckily also our wedding isn't big. 18 people including as, 11.30 getting married, lunch at 1 pm, in the afternoon going for a ride in a horse drawm carriage/cart thing, dinner tonight at an Australian restaurant. Very informal. No big party (saving that up for the big leave). Got a red dress, so shoes easy - black!
No wedding cake!
No car hire!
No annoying MIL (she wanted to be surprised!. She doesn't know what our clothes look like exactly, she doesn't know where we're having lunch, dinner.)
And my mum's not annoying either. She came when I was choosing a dress, that's about it. This morning she'll be here for about 20 mins before we go, to bring my flowers (a small simple bouquet of roses) and to share in the exitement!

Well, at least I'm up early enough, though I'll probably ending up being late anyway, it's my worst trait

I better go and eat something and have a shower now, and shut down this site and my hotmail, so I don't keep checking back here!

I'll speak to you all monday and let you know how it went (going to a hotel for the weekend)
Old Nov 7th 2003, 5:06 am
Home and Happy

Wish you all the luck ever Simone, I'm sure it'll go really well. Sounds idyllic, horse drawn carriage and stuff (v v v jealous there!). No car hire for us - just our own, I am having a cake though whatever happens!
Sounds like a beautiful day - enjoy it!!!! Any chance of a photo afterwards?
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:25 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

You all had me freaking for a bit then...

I hope this only applies to a partnership application and not the bog standard skilled....?
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:29 am
WBB

Originally posted by peppi
You all had me freaking for a bit then...

I hope this only applies to a partnership application and not the bog standard skilled....?

oh dont worry about us spouse visa people, we will be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.