Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Status of spouse

Status of spouse

Old May 12th 2003, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Status of spouse

I'm getting very confused about what status the spouse gets. If I apply for PR in NZ or Oz and include hubby on my application form, does he get PR exactly the same as me - or has he got to tag along for a few months unable to officially work or reside? sounds ludicrous I know, but I'm just trying to understand how we can both get in and both be eligible as residents.
Old May 12th 2003, 1:41 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you an Australian citizen, or are you applying for a skills visa?
Old May 12th 2003, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jaz
Are you an Australian citizen, or are you applying for a skills visa?
I'm a UK citizen, currently deciding whether to apply for residency in NZ or OZ. (preferably NZ). I am likely to have a job offer for NZ.

Alternatively I could get employer sponsorship in Oz and go in via that route.

Either way, I read about Family visas, Spouse visas etc and get mightily confused as to whether you have to apply separately for residency/work visas if you're just the spouse on the application.
Old May 12th 2003, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Should go to NZ immig website as lots more info for you - or do search here and should find threads of other peoples experiences re NZ

From what I know about Aus Im assuming NZ is same - if that is the case, if you are main applicant and have enough points - hubby goes in as your spouse or vice versa - you do not need to have the 2nd person's skills/qualifications assessed but once you get the visa - the second person if he/she needs have skills/qualifications assessed - dependant on which line of work he/she is in - you dont say what either of you do for a living.

e.g. my fiance is a hairdresser - his occupation is on the demand list MODL so he is the main applicant - we have the full 115 points plus an extra 5 for being on MODL - he will have to have his qualifications/skills assessed by the relevant body - info on immig website this will cost him - it is important as main applicant to have skills assessed before submitting PR application no positive assessment no PR - if we get in, once we get to Aus I will have to undertake a skills/qualifcations assessment if I want to work - I am a solicitor here but my qualification might not necessarily be recognised in Aus - upto a point they will be but I may need to take more exams and retrain for 1 year - it depends on what the assessment results are.

I hope that helps!!

All the best
Old May 14th 2003, 1:12 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point

since you seem to have no conections with NZ or OZ, you will need to apply for a skills based visa. Your partner will be allowed to go with you on that, the spouses visas are for people who have married an Australian citizen, there are also family visas for people such as parents whos grown up children have emigrated to Australia.

Hope this is of some use, but the Department of Idigenous and Multicultural Affairs will have lots of information on their website. Try looking on www.immi.gov.au

I found that once you start looking at the questions on the forms, it becomes clear whether you are applying under the correct catagory.

Good luck with it all!
Jaz