Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Statewide alert for Qlds cows and chickens!

Statewide alert for Qlds cows and chickens!

Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Statewide alert for Qlds cows and chickens!

Originally Posted by windsordave
Hope everybody is going to register their protest vote in the upcoming election and let the new government know that we want daylight savings in South East Queensland ... http://www.ds4seq.org.au/ ... well that's unless you don't of course, perhaps you have cows, or nice curtains, ...

Very glad there is a candidate in my electorate ...
Fed up with the cows and chickens and we don't have curtains. I also don't have a vote! If they were prepared to consider the idea instead of dismissing it out of hand, I might consider making myself eligible to vote on it......
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A survey last year found 84 per cent of people wanted to see daylight saving introduced.
The problem with some of these surveys etc, is the way the truth isn't allowed into the equation.

Actual figures for that survey revealed:
84% Brisbane and the Gold Coast,
69% Sunshine Coast.
39% Businesses outside the southeast
23% central Queensland

The average end result at 52% was nothing like the 84% figure that has been published elsewhere.

They could have just as easily as picked the 23% figure, at the other end of the poll... but 84% sounded better for them
Selective quoting is often a good tool to convince people of the benefits of an argument, whether true or not.

There was also another one done in 2007 "A statewide independent poll, published in the Sunday Mail on 1 July, revealed that only 45 per cent statewide wanted DST introduced"

The only way to clear this is an annual referendum, with one simple question.

We would need it annually so that we can change our minds as often as we like

Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:15 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The problem with some of these surveys etc, is the way the truth isn't allowed into the equation.

69% Sunshine Coast.
23% central Queensland

The average end result at 52% was nothing like the 84% figure that has been published elsewhere.

They could have just as easily as picked the 23% figure, at the other end of the poll... but 84% sounded better for them
Selective quoting is often a good tool to convince people of the benefits of an argument, whether true or not.

There was also another one done in 2007 "A statewide independent poll, published in the Sunday Mail on 1 July, revealed that only 45 per cent statewide wanted DST introduced"

And just to further muddy the water I started this thread last September so the cows and chickens may have changed their minds since then.......
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

And just to further muddy the water I started this thread last September so the cows and chickens may have changed their minds since then.......
What about the curtains? Are they definitely 100% against it?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point

69% Sunshine Coast.
23% central Queensland

Understand but the point is that the '4SEQ' in the 'DS4SEQ' stands for South East Queensland. Nobody is trying to force Daylight Savings outside of SEQ. And the percentage of people in your survey in SEQ that wanted Daylight Savings was around 76% (is that right? Maths was never my strong point).

Don't know about you but I'd say that 76% is pretty close to a majority
Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
According to a recent survey, 88% of curtains didn't want Daylight Savings, but the remaining 12% wouldn't be drawn on the subject.

Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by windsordave
Understand but the point is that the '4SEQ' in the 'DS4SEQ' stands for South East Queensland. Nobody is trying to force Daylight Savings outside of SEQ. And the percentage of people in your survey in SEQ that wanted Daylight Savings was around 76% (is that right? Maths was never my strong point).

Don't know about you but I'd say that 76% is pretty close to a majority
The problem is that when you add the number who don't want a split zone Queensland, to your 76%, you end up with a mathematical error

It seems like we need an annual referendum, with two questions now
  • Do we want a split zone QLD
  • Does SEQLD want daylight saving

And remember, any official vote, unlike the un-official polling, will exclude the opinion/vote of new residents who haven't yet become citizens.

Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:50 am
ABCDiamond

I was just thinking, what is the main reason for wanting DLS.

Some people say that it is so we will be on the same time as the rest of the East coast ?

Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people say that it is so we will be on the same time as the rest of the East coast ?
That's the only real reason I can think of. Not bothered about light mornings or light evenings, life goes on as normal but for Brissie and the Sunny and Gold Coasts to be on the same time as Tweed/Sydney makes sense.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I guess some people just prefer having the useful bit of the day at the end, instead of the morning. I know I do. A morning person I am not...

S
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I guess some people just prefer having the useful bit of the day at the end, instead of the morning. I know I do. A morning person I am not...

S
Amen to that!

Come on - surely you haven't all forgotten those blissful long summer evenings back home? Footie on the park at 7pm at night ... jumpers for goalposts ...eh?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:50 am
Home and Happy

Hmm, not sure, I'll ask them when I get back to Brisbane in the morning
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Hmm, not sure, I'll ask them when I get back to Brisbane in the morning
Smile, it could be worse, it's getting chilly in the mornings
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:37 am
Home and Happy

Smile, it could be worse, it's getting chilly in the mornings
Deliciously cool and pouring with rain for my arrival.....almost felt like home for a few minutes!!!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:29 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Interesting - I find the summer quite useful because its the one time of the year that I can actually contact business people in Sydney when I get into the office! If the clocks changed that would no longer be the case... My own (unscientific, non-representative) sample suggests that Sydneysiders are a lazy bunch who dont rock up to the office until 9am. I *need* to be able to talk to people as soon as I get to work (around 7:45am) so summer isnt too bad - I only have to wait 15 minutes for the southerners to rock up. Winter is horrible 'cos despite our clocks being aligned with SYD, our *culture* isnt and we end up with at least a 1 hour difference in working days!

Also on the subject of curtains - *IF* I worried about curtains, I'd welcome DST 'cos it'd stop my curtains fading so much. (Ive explained this before but - here we go again) :

When curtains are open they are not exposed to light and dont fade so much.
I close my curtains at night after it gets dark.
I open them when I get up in the morning AFTER the sun rises
Therefore its fair to say they only get exposed to sun and fade based on the length of sunny mornings....

Since DST makes mornings shorter - it follows that curtains will fade less.

For the record I am against DST as I'd like my summer evenings to be dark as soon as possible to try and cool them down enough so that I might actually be able to do stuff outside instead of cowering inside in the air-con!