Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

State to state, a different aussie?

State to state, a different aussie?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default State to state, a different aussie?

Had our meds this week and the doc asked us " What part of Oz are you going to "?

When I replied QLD, he said " I've never met a nice queenslander yet ".

Our experiences of Oz have been met with some great people, Queenslanders, Sydneysiders and so on.

Having read a recent heated thread concerning Badgers ( Bless him ), and some attitudes towards the aussie " stereotypes ", I thought it would be interesting to see what our perceptions of state to state aussies are and do they really differ?

I'll start us off:

Sydneysiders:

Type one: Designer gear, cafe culture, mega money.

Type two: Beach dwellers, board lovers, smokers.

And before any of you hit the roof and flame me... I know you can't box people, I'm just interested to see what everyone elses ideas of state differentiation ( is there such a word ?) are / may be.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

gelomaa is an unknown quantity at this point

where about in QLD are you going to and what made you choose it?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrive, if we get our visas, then we shall fly to Brisbane and have a holiday / look around and surrounding areas, ( an area neither of us have been ), and have a look at what we might be missing, there seems to be an awful lot of people settling in that area, so it must have some appeal and we'll check it out for ourselves before we make any definite decisions about where to settle. Ultimately, we shall probably end up in Far North Queensland.

We like what we have seen for ourselves up there. It seems to us, the further north you go, the more laid back the natives are. Mind you, it's so bloody humid, they have no option to be anything but!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:00 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

QLD The Melanoma Mullet state
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:03 pm
WBB

Originally posted by steandleigh
When we arrive, if we get our visas, then we shall fly to Brisbane and have a holiday / look around and surrounding areas, ( an area neither of us have been ), and have a look at what we might be missing, there seems to be an awful lot of people settling in that area, so it must have some appeal and we'll check it out for ourselves before we make any definite decisions about where to settle. Ultimately, we shall probably end up in Far North Queensland.

We like what we have seen for ourselves up there. It seems to us, the further north you go, the more laid back the natives are. Mind you, it's so bloody humid, they have no option to be anything but!
how far north ?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

thats our plan also, take a holiday there in brisbane and check the place out before we decide. how much are you looking at for a 3 bed there do you know? i have looked at realestate but some people have commented that their prices are not accurate and that the cheaper housing is in the middle of no-where. have you already got a job to go to or will you both find work when you move?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Don't flame me - it's just something I've noticed!

I know I've just been unlucky. I know I haven't met all that many.

I've never clicked with a Victorian I've met outside Victoria. I don't know why, and I only usually find out they're from VIC afterwards. It's bizarre, as I reckon an Aussie is an Aussie.

On the flip-side I found the folk I met in VIC to be really friendly and interesting.

Is there a forced emigration policy for VIC undesirables???
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gelomaa
thats our plan also, take a holiday there in brisbane and check the place out before we decide. how much are you looking at for a 3 bed there do you know? i have looked at realestate but some people have commented that their prices are not accurate and that the cheaper housing is in the middle of no-where. have you already got a job to go to or will you both find work when you move?

Gelomaa,
If you're considering Brisbane its worth looking at www.ourbrisbane.com if you click on suburbs it gives you an idea about areas, population statistics, median house prices etc We've found it really useful.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

mcmercer, thank you, ill take a look at that one
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by gelomaa
House price do vary a lot, depending on location around Brisbane.
eg: $300k will get a reasonable 3 bed house about 1 hr east of Brisbane CBD. But 1 hour west, could be about $150k-$200k. Internet pricing did seem to be out of touch before Xmas, and probably still is. The best way is to be here and check, that way you also see the real houses, not the touched up photos !!

How do people define "the middle of no-where". I am in a quiet area, but only 10-15 mins from a major shopping town.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:24 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State to state, a different aussie?

A good description of Queenslanders in a recent post went something like....

"either mullet wearing pig hunters or gauche nouveau riche types"

A description of WA could go

"either mullet wearing, ute driving bogons or football shirt wearing British expats from Liverpool, Manchester and Scotland who spend most of their time moaning about the lack of good pubs"
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh don`t tell me its full of mancs and jocks ...QLD could well be the new choice...
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:41 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pagey
Oh don`t tell me its full of mancs and jocks ...QLD could well be the new choice...
You'd better believe it mate. It's like Benidorm here.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Even Sticky Vicky has emmigrated ..................

Oh and sexy barbara
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Whats it like in Ocean reef ??? is it full of pommies there???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.