Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The state of rentals in Melbourne

The state of rentals in Melbourne

Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Jamie-Blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The state of rentals in Melbourne

Arrived here just over a week ago and was allocated a relocation officer by my new employer, gave them my requirements for South Yarra, Prahran and around.
Well when i got into all but two of them i was shocked..people buy these places as investments!! disgusting is not strong enough. One agent said one flat was " a little tired"...it was dead. I have been so disillusioed by it all.

Finally i found a nice apartment just out ofSouth Yarra only then to find out that all the bad press letting/estate agents get is justified...take my 3 months up front rent and bond and then i have to chase them for things that were advertised.

I am still in disbelief at some of the properties i saw , in the U.K I THINK DOGS LIVE IN BETTER HOMES THAN SOME I SAW.

I was talking to a gut the other day who basically admitted that investors and letting agents alike know people have to rent and with he influx of immigrants know eventually everything will be snapped up. Part of me hopes this boomtime shrinks a little and then landlords will have to spruce up places to get them rented
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:28 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The state of rentals in Melbourne

We've been looking over the months at property suitable for family rental in Melbourne...I've noticed an increase in places that are actually being advertised as needing updating & the implication is that the new tenant will take this work on! Is this true?

Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:47 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
We've been looking over the months at property suitable for family rental in Melbourne...I've noticed an increase in places that are actually being advertised as needing updating & the implication is that the new tenant will take this work on! Is this true?

With any city there will be slum properties thats just the way the world is at the moment.

However it might be worth reminding people that Melbourne is not cheap and you can expect the same rental costs as you would London.

For all the crap places there are some good ones (and sometimes at the same prices) You have to be vigilant and get to see as many as possible.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:16 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
With any city there will be slum properties thats just the way the world is at the moment.

However it might be worth reminding people that Melbourne is not cheap and you can expect the same rental costs as you would London.

For all the crap places there are some good ones (and sometimes at the same prices) You have to be vigilant and get to see as many as possible.
Have to agree with you GG.

We saw about 6 rentals (we where lucky to find a "reasonable" place quite quickly) and about 12 houses that where up for sale in the first couple of weeks when we arrived,The photos and general details of the properties definitely dont give a good description. There are good ones out there, but unfortunately you will waste good time sifting through the crap ones.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Hi I agree GG
I think a lot of people arrive with a low budget (well it's low on Melbournes prices) this then equals really grotty properties.
I am not saying your budget was low Jamie, but you find a lot of people wanting to be in the in the CBD in a 3 bed property for $300 pw, it isn't possible
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Same in Perth when we were renting - the vast majority of the places we viewed were pigstys. It's very depressing.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

True. I was really depressed when I started house hunting here, especially when we looked at hole in the wall type houses at Albert Park, Hawthorn, Malvern...etc. I thought my budget was low, upped it to $750 a week and still no luck. We needed something within walking distance to a primary school, public transport and shops - yeah, all three must haves, as I don't drive.

The real estate agents were a nightmare. Jellis Craig was an absolute waste of time - for one inspection in Kew they turned up 45 minutes late, no apologies nothing. There were about 12 people waiting and all had been given different times for the property inspection. The manager herself had turned up (someone called Susy) and she was very haughty. Similarly, Hocking Stuart in Albert Park were a waste of time (they tried to pass off a loft with neither doors nor windows as a second bedroom) I shall never use these two again, if I can help it.

It's chance I guess - we were finally very lucky to find a really nice apartment that met all our requirements. Bright and airy, wonderful views and a very nice landlord (they were here to fix something in the laundry room when we moved). The apartment is old but has been very well maintained, the windows have all been replaced, walls all painted, nice furnishing - you can see the landlord (and the agent) have taken pains to ensure they have happy tenants. The real estate agent is also good and would recommend them - McLarens (chap called Simon Powell). No issues with maintenance at all, they're very prompt in dealing with any problems

Last edited by IndieG; Nov 2nd 2009 at 7:54 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

You have to bear in mind that when Australians build a house they don't do any up keep. In 30-40 years time when the carpets are threadbare,the celings are falling in and the walls are full of cracks they just knock it down and build another one!!