Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

State of Origin 1 & 3 - Sydney

State of Origin 1 & 3 - Sydney

Old May 12th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default State of Origin 1 & 3 - Sydney

We shall be there with our St Helens 'red vee' on. We will be in the pub near the train station at Olympic Park before the match. The one on the corner that puts up fencing so people can drink outside in the street.

If anyone is interested in meeting up see you there or PM me.
Old May 12th 2010, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State of Origin 1 & 3 - Sydney

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
We shall be there with our St Helens 'red vee' on. We will be in the pub near the train station at Olympic Park before the match. The one on the corner that puts up fencing so people can drink outside in the street.

If anyone is interested in meeting up see you there or PM me.
Any reason you won't have the Maroon shirt of Qld on ?
Old May 12th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Any reason you won't have the Maroon shirt of Qld on ?
Yes, they can't pronounce the word maroon.
Old May 12th 2010, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Yes, they can't pronounce the word maroon.
Go the Marones then
Old May 30th 2010, 2:15 am
Just Joined

xpommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah what is that with maroon. Go the marooooooooooooooooooooooones.haha
Old May 30th 2010, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Night of the Match Report

The plan was to go in to Sydney on the train and check in to the Holiday Inn in The Rocks, then go to meet the wife outside her offices to get the train out to the stadium.

Sydney has been having some very heavy rain and in the seven minutes it took me to walk from our house to the station I was completely drenched. The bag I had our stuff in and the tickets was letting in water, so I had to go in the news agents and ask them for a plastic bag to wrap the tickets in before they disintegrated! The Chinese assistant in there didn’t really understand what I was on about.

After getting on the train, things didn’t get much better as after about five stations, they announced that it had broken down and everyone had to get off. With everyone off, the doors closed on the train and it set off again…it didn’t look very broke down to me. Then we had the joy of an Indian platform announcer mumbling about what we were supposed to do.

Anyway, eventually got in to the city and checked in to the hotel which was very nice and walked up to a little bar over from where my wife works. Had a couple of beers and put $5 on Jamie Lyon to be first try scorer and $5 on him being man of the match.

Then over to meet the wife and the train to Sydney Olympic Park. The travel is really well coordinated. With your match ticket, you can travel for free on public transport to and from the game. The Olympic Park Station is right on the stadium concourse and more importantly opposite a great pub.

No idea what the pub is called, but they do put on a great show. They barricade off much of the pedestrian area outside and set up outside bars and bring in extra toilets and food vans. They have a good band on performing to the crowd outside, which you must remember was a rather wet crowd as it was still chucking it down. We met up with the some of the lads from the World Cup in 2008 and with a good group of Kiwi’s, who have promised us a beer in New Zealand at the Four Nations.

Eventually the rain eased off and after about two hours in the pub we made our way to the ground. We had bought cheap ‘C’ class seats and had expected to be up in the gods, but actually the seats were quite good – as good as the ones we had paid twice as much for last year.

In a booth at the stadium, Samsung or somebody were demonstrating the 3D TV for $5,000 (About £2,700). I asked the guy why we have to spend five grand on a TV, when twenty years ago BBC & ITV were broadcasting in 3D and you got the glasses free with the Radio Times. He said that this is better quality, but I didn’t think so.

So we had already missed the usually pretty dire band that they have on, but were just in time for the players coming out and the national anthem.

I’m not going to write too much about the match, but I thought was pretty boring and poor. Really if this is supposed to be rugby league at top level, this time it didn’t really do much for me. I think may be the defence was too good and probably issues with players having not been in a team together before. I think it will get better for games two & three.

At half time, I went to get a beet for me and a wine for the wife. The wife’s wine ‘glass’ was more like a thimble and they charged $7.20 for it. I tried to argue with the guy on the till that this was the price for the bottle, but he wasn’t having any of it.

So with NSW losing quite badly, we did the Wigan Walk with 8 minutes to go. However, this did mean that we were on the first train away from the station and after one change ended up back in The Rocks about 10.30PM. We went in the pub billed as the oldest one in Sydney, only to be told that they were closed. It’s something that you can’t get used to in Australia…pubs opening and closing when they want regardless of people in there and any licensing times.

Anyway we went to the next pub a few doors down, where we often go on a Saturday afternoon. They had a great live two piece band on doing Oasis and other Britpop stuff. They were great, though we had been drinking for 6 hours by this time, so may be they were not that good?

I think about 12.30AM we staggered back to the hotel to sleep it off. I was still feeling a bit rough this morning we sat down outside Circular Quay and the Opera House with a coffee.