Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To which state/city are you going?

To which state/city are you going?

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kookypie will become famous soon enough
Default To which state/city are you going?

Happy new year everyone!

My lovely boyfriend and I are in the baby planning stages of our temp relocation to Oz....lots of chats over glasses (and bottles of wine)
We are really excited, and I'm enjoying my research...

We cant decide on a state/city to aim for as we really don't know enough yet. Was hoping you could offer some help

Where are you aiming for and what attracted you in the first place?

Know I'm a nosey parker, but hey, shy bairns get nowt as we say in Newcastle
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:03 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice
Default Re: To which state/city are you going?

Originally Posted by Kookypie
Happy new year everyone!

My lovely boyfriend and I are in the baby planning stages of our temp relocation to Oz....lots of chats over glasses (and bottles of wine)

We cant decide on a state/city to aim for as we really don't know enough yet. Was hoping you could offer some help

Hi Kookypie
We've been planning and applying since September and this weekend we finally decided (although not set in stone ) on Melbourne. As much as we are heading to Oz for the weather, I think Brisbane would be too hot for us and Melbourne still gets seasons apparently. Also got a couple of friends already there so that helped the decision too.
Good luck with you plans
Linda
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

timmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nice

Happy new year everyone!

hi there.my husband 2 kids and i are also in the first stages of our move to ozz,were applying for a skilled independant visa as he is a plumber.have you started any applications or spoke to an advisor yet,were are you planning on settling and when is your plan to arrive??????????
Were thinking maybe central coast sydney or up towards brisbane
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Tassiedevil35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are going to Hobart Tasmania, my hubby got his Visa 21/12/08 it only took 8 weeks to get , but then again it was a spouse Visa! And the reason we are going to Tasmania is because i was born there and when we went there 3 years ago my hubby loved it!!

Anyway good luck on where ever u decide to go.

xx

Last edited by Tassiedevil35; Jan 6th 2008 at 8:42 pm. Reason: cant spell
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Happy new year everyone!

Hi,

We are going to Bundaberg in Queensland.

We did our reccie up the east coast in may 07 and just seemed to fall for bundy..........We also like Moololaba and caloundra............Basically the whole sunsine coast

I dunno what it was with Bundy but it is a nice place with great weather and ........for some strange reason..........we felt really at HOME there
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:59 pm
a bit nearer

darendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nice

We're at the stage where we passed the tra just before xmas, but when we started the process about a year ago,we were going to the sunshine coast,(lake macquarie)where my wifes uncle lives.
Then i found brisbane very appealing (north lakes area)and did a fair bit of research.
Then(now) it's very much Adelaide, and the seaford area. All this and we haven't even been to oz yet! When we go for a 3 week reccie in dec(to hopefully validate visa) we will have to take in all 3 to try and make a decision.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by timmins family
hi there.my husband 2 kids and i are also in the first stages of our move to ozz,were applying for a skilled independant visa as he is a plumber.have you started any applications or spoke to an advisor yet,were are you planning on settling and when is your plan to arrive??????????
Were thinking maybe central coast sydney or up towards brisbane
Hi, im an electrician and i have done my TRA and we are just waiting for our police checks to come back so we can lodge our visa application.
We are hoping to go end of August so my daughter does'nt have to start school here, also have a 5 year old son.
We stayed on the gold coast last Oct for a couple of weeks and found it very touristy great to visit but could'nt live there and pricy. The areas we liked were about 30 Mins North from there and 40 Mins South from Brisbane. One place in particular called upper coomera, now having a huge out of town mall built much more affordable housing away from the city and still only about 15 Mins from the beach.
Before we visited we read so many different views on different areas and visited lots of them and some were great and some not so. So it is all down to personel choice.
We started our TRA back in Feb 07 and it all seems to take forever but there is light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully this time next year we will be there and settled.
We have been using an agent in Townsville very good and using emails to a friend who can sign all my documents over there. Found this cheaper than agents in UK.

Last edited by Chris Ball; Jan 8th 2008 at 9:29 pm. Reason: Add info
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

timmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
Hi, im an electrician and i have done my TRA and we are just waiting for our police checks to come back so we can lodge our visa application.
We are hoping to go end of August so my daughter does'nt have to start school here, also have a 5 year old son.
We stayed on the gold coast last Oct for a couple of weeks and found it very touristy great to visit but could'nt live there and pricy. The areas we liked were about 30 Mins North from there and 40 Mins South from Brisbane. One place in particular called upper coomera, now having a huge out of town mall built much more affordable housing away from the city and still only about 15 Mins from the beach.
Before we visited we read so many different views on different areas and visited lots of them and some were great and some not so. So it is all down to personel choice.
We started our TRA back in Feb 07 and it all seems to take forever but there is light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully this time next year we will be there and settled.
We have been using an agent in Townsville very good and using emails to a friend who can sign all my documents over there. Found this cheaper than agents in UK.
Hi there thanks for your reply.
we also had a holiday on the gold coast 3 years ago and yes its a great holiday but not the place were we would want live either.
Houses in townsville look really nice and well priced,also Ballina which i think is around 2 hrs south of brisbane and a tad more expensive.
were using agent-concept australia they seem pretty good but not got very far yet.there full charge is £1500 which seems ok especially if your no good at paper work which neither my husband and i are.
good luck
by the way have you looked at www.realestate au you will certainly find your dream house to BUY-RENT-BUILD
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to Sydney, hopefully in May. I am a geologist being sponserd by a mining compamy so they dictate where we live - though we thought we would be in the outback in Cobar, so Sydney, although expensive, is a big plus - that and our income will be three times what it is now