Reload this Page >

Which state is better?

Which state is better?

Old Nov 26th 2004, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

VanTheMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which state is better?

Hi

I was thinking of settling down in Perth, Western Australia, but then I heard that Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra ain't that bad.

Any suggestion guys?

Van
Old Nov 26th 2004, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Which state is better?

Originally Posted by VanTheMan
Hi

I was thinking of settling down in Perth, Western Australia, but then I heard that Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra ain't that bad.

Any suggestion guys?
Van
Brisbane

Old Nov 26th 2004, 7:04 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by VanTheMan
Hi

Any suggestion guys?

Van

WA

Jill

Old Nov 26th 2004, 7:27 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Make of it what you will:

New South Wales - The Premier State
Australian Capital Territory - Nations Capitol
Victoria - State On the Move
Tasmania - The Holiday Isle
South Australia - The Festival State
Western Australia - State of Excitement
Northern Territory - Outback Australia
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:08 am
ABCDiamond

Where do Migrants go ?

In 2002/2003 New South Wales received the largest share of net overseas migration (40%), Queensland had the second largest share of net overseas migration (24%), followed by Victoria (18%), Western Australia (14%) and South Australia (3%). The Australian Capital Territory, the Northern Territory and Tasmania (less than 1% each) had the smallest shares.
www.abs.gov.au

and some more useful/useless info

There were 93,900 permanent (settler) arrivals in 2002-03, 13% of all permanent arrivals had been born in the United Kingdom.

Interstate Migration took care of a lot of the higher numbers moving to NSW (40% of 93,900 = 37,560) with 31,800 people leaving NSW for other States, and a total of 39,200 interstate moves to QLD

Western Australia had the highest proportion of overseas-born residents in its population (29%)

% of State population that is born in the UK
NSW 4%
QLD 5%
WA 11%
VIC 4%
S.A. 8%
TAS 5%
NT ?

Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:15 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Quinkana

I've always wondered where Victoria is moving to. Queensland I guess.
It's as vacuous as the previous one: 'The Place to Be'.

Of the previous monikers, I prefer 'The Garden State'.
Can we have it back please?

Cheers
Alistair
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

You left out Queensland: 'The Smart State'

Actually when you get your rego plate here, you can say whether you want it with the previous, proper slogan, 'the sunshine state' or the new stoopid monicker 'the smart state'.

Guess which I got

My suggestion for their slogan would be

Queensland: The paranoid about daylight saving hour state

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I've always wondered where Victoria is moving to. Queensland I guess. It's as vacuous as the previous one: 'The Place to Be'.

Of the previous monikers, I prefer 'The Garden State'.
Can we have it back please?

Cheers
Alistair
With you on that Alistair. I think Jeff Kennett viewed 'The Garden State' as too sedate and wanted something more business-like. (Kennett, nightmare on Spring St - bumper sticker).

I liked the line in a book I'm reading (Bryce Courtenay 'Four Fires', recommended reading):

'Queensland - place in the sun for shady characters'. No offence intended ABC, I like Q/L and thanks for the very interesting stats.

The thing which has been remarked on many times before is that you would think from this site that most people head for WA and Queensland. Of course that might be true of British migrants because the stats are for all migrants. A challenge ABC - do you have a breakdown by nationality so we can see how many Brits go to each state?

Alas, there can't be a 'best' location as we all have different needs and opinions but Melbourne is definitely the best on the list (IMHO).

OzTennis
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
but Melbourne is definitely the best on the list (IMHO).

OzTennis
If you are loaded or enjoy a 2 hour commute to work.

We lived and worked in Melbourne twice in the last 3 years (fortunately on company money), but we did look at houses, and house prices
:scared: . Unless you are moving from London, expect a heck of a shock if you want to live anywhere near the CBD or on the train line.

And Melbournians idea of a garden is a Brisbanites idea of a patio. I had to stop myself laughing at some houses we viewed in Melbourne when the estate agent did the big flourish or 'Here is the garden!!!', to be met with a 10 sq metre bit of grass. Obviously that was in the classy areas like Brighton or Hampton, within an hours commute.

Cheers,
JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Nov 26th 2004 at 12:31 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

The State of Excitement has always made me laugh. Does it mean that WA should have a panhandle like Florida.........?
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:07 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

Queensland: The paranoid about daylight saving hour state
Be a big number plate though, unless of course the font was reduced to an illegible size
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:09 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
WA

Jill
Jill, as always, is right on the money!!!!

WA....... Is the place to be.....!!!!!
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
If you are loaded or enjoy a 2 hour commute to work.

We lived and worked in Melbourne twice in the last 3 years (fortunately on company money), but we did look at houses, and house prices
:scared: . Unless you are moving from London, expect a heck of a shock if you want to live anywhere near the CBD or on the train line.

And Melbournians idea of a garden is a Brisbanites idea of a patio. I had to stop myself laughing at some houses we viewed in Melbourne when the estate agent did the big flourish or 'Here is the garden!!!', to be met with a 10 sq metre bit of grass. Obviously that was in the classy areas like Brighton or Hampton, within an hours commute.

Cheers,
JTL
Clearly, my attempt at humour didn't come across, I was attempting to take the p*sh out of my own statement that Melbourne is best!

You have to be loaded or want a 2 hour commute? That describes Sydney more than Melbourne. (humour alert)

I also have no doubt you get more for your real estate $ in Brissie but there's more to life than property prices and commute times. If having a bigger area for the cane toads and getting to work quick is important then Brissie's the place, Tully even better. (being funny again - its Friday)

I'm a bit puzzled though - you would have to go via Mordialloc or walk to take an hour to commute to the CBD from Brighton/Hampton?? I would guess over 3 million Melburnians are less than one hour from CBD but I suppose you are talking about to and fro, or including walking to a station and waiting on a train or the people who live beyond Bordy with their big patios?

OzTennis
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:42 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Whatabout Queensland?
Old Nov 26th 2004, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I'm a bit puzzled though - you would have to go via Mordialloc or walk to take an hour to commute to the CBD from Brighton/Hampton?? I would guess over 3 million Melburnians are less than one hour from CBD but I suppose you are talking about to and fro, or including walking to a station and waiting on a train or the people who live beyond Bordy with their big patios?

OzTennis
Yip, door-to-door, one way,, thats my definition of a commute. Theres no doubt anywhere in Brighton or Hampton would be within 1 hour commute, provided you live near a station. Theres also no doubt you'd be paying over $600K for a small house with no land for the privilege.

I guess its would be a 3 hour walk from brighton to CBD, going by the drive time.

Yeah sorry, I did miss your humour in the first post. Its sometimes hard to catch. Sarcasm doesn't come across clearly in text

Cheers,
JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.