Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

starting your own business in oz

starting your own business in oz

Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

wallabywannabies will become famous soon enoughwallabywannabies will become famous soon enough
Default starting your own business in oz

has any one any storys or personal experience of this?,wed love to here .
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:16 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting your own business in oz

Originally Posted by wallabywannabies
What dya wanna know??
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

wallabywannabies will become famous soon enoughwallabywannabies will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
What dya wanna know??

what do you earn before megga tax
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:21 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

What dya wanna know??

Well I want to know how you go about it, I don't know how to set up a business in England, never mind Australia.

Me and hubby have a couple of ideas on business ventures, both of which we have the equipment for. One of them would only have advertising as an overhead.
Both of these would be ran from home aswell so no premises needed either.

Hubbys told me not to tell anyone the idaeas so I can't give much more info, you'll have to get guessing.

Seriously though, can anyone point us in the right direction or tell us who we need to talk to.

Sory for highjacking, wallabywannabies

Marie
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

[

no problem marie,you could start by getting yourself an accountant and then he could help you register the business.
Marie
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

What dya wanna know??

will you need a pair of hands to lay the flooring? ill have a ute and my own tools.lol
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:38 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Well I want to know how you go about it, I don't know how to set up a business in England, never mind Australia.

Me and hubby have a couple of ideas on business ventures, both of which we have the equipment for. One of them would only have advertising as an overhead.

Hubbys told me not to tell anyone the idaeas so I can't give much more info, you'll have to get guessing.

Seriously though, can anyone point us in the right direction or tell us who we need to talk to.

Marie

1st up.
Get a Business Name
Then get an ABN number from ATO, meaning the business is registered to you in your name, you are then liable for tax, etc. With ABN comes a GST registration, linked to your ABN.
Then set up a bank acct. Just need Drivers Lisence , ABN and passport for most banks.

Dont expect to be able to borrow money on the strength of a "hunch" of a business idea. You will need a thorough business plan. Complete with MArketing analysis.

Perhaps look at doing a small business owners TAFE course, stands you well with the Banks like BOQ

Look at whats already being done, as a business, silmilar to yours. Perhaps register the business name as a web domain, asap, just in case. Cheapest way to market and advertise yourself is via your own website.

You need shitloads of paperwork etc to do business here. For example, in uk, we could operate flooring business from home. Here we cannot, most importers and distributors, want retail premises only.

You can file your own GST returns each month, Debbie does mine, and all goes good.

If you want a credit card, and you work for yourself, expect to produce accounts from certified aussie acct before they will give you a CC, banks that is.

You will need insurance. Emp liability, Personal Liability , Public Liability. Medicare+

anyfin else
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

im a joiner and will be in brisbane before the wife and kids.is sub contracting a good idea and does it take long to set up
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:04 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

1st up.
Get a Business Name
Then get an ABN number from ATO, meaning the business is registered to you in your name, you are then liable for tax, etc. With ABN comes a GST registration, linked to your ABN.
Then set up a bank acct. Just need Drivers Lisence , ABN and passport for most banks.

Dont expect to be able to borrow money on the strength of a "hunch" of a business idea. You will need a thorough business plan. Complete with MArketing analysis.

Perhaps look at doing a small business owners TAFE course, stands you well with the Banks like BOQ

Look at whats already being done, as a business, silmilar to yours. Perhaps register the business name as a web domain, asap, just in case. Cheapest way to market and advertise yourself is via your own website.

You need shitloads of paperwork etc to do business here. For example, in uk, we could operate flooring business from home. Here we cannot, most importers and distributors, want retail premises only.

You can file your own GST returns each month, Debbie does mine, and all goes good.

If you want a credit card, and you work for yourself, expect to produce accounts from certified aussie acct before they will give you a CC, banks that is.

You will need insurance. Emp liability, Personal Liability , Public Liability. Medicare+

anyfin else

Thankyou, K sent.

Good thing is we have the equipment so won't need to borrow any cash.
We've done the research in to similar businesses so thanks for telling me where to go from there.
A business name is something we've not even though about. That'll give me something to do on the plane
Marie
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:04 pm
Banned

im a joiner and will be in brisbane before the wife and kids.is sub contracting a good idea and does it take long to set up
Hmm lol

Whatever you are and however good you are in the uk, you are never quite good enough in Oz.

I will explain, PAPERWORK !!!!!!!

Oz is fanatical about paperwork. Get a blue card when you get here, straight away. Its easy !! But you need it.

For site work, all electrical equip needs tagging.

As a fridgie, my tools and elctricals, need tagging by a qualified, inspector. Even power cords. Only mandatory for site work.

Typically Joiners here...

Start 7am finish 4pm
Cannot work off a ladder over 3m high, but can dangle from a vietnamese boat builders scaffold, from 300ft !! Oz rules are a tad weird

You need a Ute. Most chippies have tray backs, holdens, Bravos etc, most wouldnt be seen dead in a FORD on site.

A bundy sticker in rear window is obligatory.

First tool to buy is an esky.

Smoko is also mandatory, Australia comes to a standstill on site at 9am

Get to know your local GIZZLERS gurl

APPLY NOW !!!!! Brisbane is crying out for trades on new builds. Lodge yourself with Dixon Homes, and any of the volume house builders.

Most chippies, work in gangs of 1 or maybe 2
Painters are mostly serbs and croats, and work in gangs of 50 lol

Get practisin the SMILE, and the How ya Goin

AND MOST OF ALL !!!!
Get to work on your own initiative, as site supervision is somewhat lacking.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:06 pm
Banned

Thankyou, K sent.

Good thing is we have the equipment so won't need to borrow any cash.
We've done the research in to similar businesses so thanks for telling me where to go from there.
A business name is something we've not even though about. That'll give me something to do on the plane
Marie
No wukkas

Wish you good luck. Just remember if you think it hasnt been done, it probably has, and better than you thought
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:10 pm
GC family day carer

No wukkas

Wish you good luck. Just remember if you think it hasnt been done, it probably has, and better than you thought

It has been done but where the sis in law lives there is a gap in the market. As for the other idea, it'll never be a great business but it's also a hobby so more of a flog on ebay in my spare time I think
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=68MEVY]Well I want to know how you go about it, I don't know how to set up a business in England, never mind Australia.

Have you looked at these links?

http://www.ozsmallbiz.net/business-e...nnel_7300.html

http://www.sd.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/htdocs/slol/

Might find something useful here

Netta
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:50 pm
GC family day carer

[QUOTE=JohnAndNetta]

Have you looked at these links?

http://www.ozsmallbiz.net/business-e...nnel_7300.html

http://www.sd.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/htdocs/slol/

Might find something useful here

Netta

Cheers, will have a proper scout through those later once Libby is asleep. Can't do anything with a 3 year old around who needs tiring out
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

If you follow the link you will find a group of people all in the same boat, some over there, some approved, most jumping thru the hoops, see you on the other side.

Mark

business visa 163

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.