British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Starting to wobble (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/starting-wobble-532216/)

Normal for Norfolk Apr 25th 2008 9:32 pm

Starting to wobble

Should be going to Sydney this August to work for 2yrs or so. We are both mid 40s. OH is starting to get cold feet - not unusual judging by some of the posts. Her main concern is leaving her job in payroll which she has done well in and not getting a similar job in Aus and on return to UK. Anyone felt similar who went anyway? What made you go and did you have no regrets once settled? Easy to make friends in a big city? Trying to reassure her that this will be a great experience and only temporary.

stuckinblighty Apr 25th 2008 9:35 pm

Re: Starting to wobble

Ive been wobbling for the last 12 months.Even more so since we will be homeless as of next week :ohmy:

must be ******' mad :blink:

Lee :confused:

Normal for Norfolk Apr 25th 2008 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty (Post 6266683)
Ive been wobbling for the last 12 months.Even more so since we will be homeless as of next week :ohmy:

must be ******' mad :blink:

Lee :confused:

Hopefully you mean temporarily while on the plane to melbourne! Good luck anyways!

stuckinblighty Apr 25th 2008 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Normal for Norfolk (Post 6266707)
Hopefully you mean temporarily while on the plane to melbourne! Good luck anyways!

just found temp digs for a month.

good luck to you too

Lee:thumbup:

Timber Floor Au Apr 25th 2008 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Normal for Norfolk (Post 6266677)
Should be going to Sydney this August to work for 2yrs or so. We are both mid 40s. OH is starting to get cold feet - not unusual judging by some of the posts. Her main concern is leaving her job in payroll which she has done well in and not getting a similar job in Aus and on return to UK. Anyone felt similar who went anyway? What made you go and did you have no regrets once settled? Easy to make friends in a big city? Trying to reassure her that this will be a great experience and only temporary.

Why then come over here for 2 yrs or so?

Whats the point?

Im not being arrogant, just questioning why.. given what you have said about your missus.

Ste

Normal for Norfolk Apr 25th 2008 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 6266786)
Why then come over here for 2 yrs or so?

Whats the point?

Im not being arrogant, just questioning why.. given what you have said about your missus.

Ste

A 'life experience' instead of 'playing it safe'

stuckinblighty Apr 25th 2008 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Normal for Norfolk (Post 6266831)
A 'life experience' instead of 'playing it safe'

that sounded a good idea at the time :ohmy:

Timber Floor Au Apr 25th 2008 10:15 pm

Mate moving anywhere temporarily, is fraught with problems. Even in the same city.

But to do it across the globe, is in my view frankly ridiculous.

Esp in mid 40s.

I appreciate your yearning for something new, a buzz, a life change.

But as a wise man said, :

Do a half hearted job, get a half hearted result.

Think bloody carefully... as it takes 12-18 months just to find your feet in oz.

Hence we always state, give it 2 years.

Good Luck, your gonna bloody well need it.

Ste

Normal for Norfolk Apr 25th 2008 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 6266857)
Mate moving anywhere temporarily, is fraught with problems. Even in the same city.

But to do it across the globe, is in my view frankly ridiculous.

Esp in mid 40s.

I appreciate your yearning for something new, a buzz, a life change.

But as a wise man said, :

Do a half hearted job, get a half hearted result.

Think bloody carefully... as it takes 12-18 months just to find your feet in oz.

Hence we always state, give it 2 years.

Good Luck, your gonna bloody well need it.

Ste

I feel deeply honoured to receive your 10,000 post - are you paying for my first class flight ticket?

UK is only a days flight away so can't be that bad. On my hols down under it appears great, I reckon if you work hard and don't whinge it will be just fine

Timber Floor Au Apr 25th 2008 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Normal for Norfolk (Post 6267016)
I feel deeply honoured to receive your 10,000 post - are you paying for my first class flight ticket?

UK is only a days flight away so can't be that bad. On my hols down under it appears great, I reckon if you work hard and don't whinge it will be just fine

Mate opinions are like arseholes aint they..

but i reckon you could be on to a winner, with that attitude !

Ste

Normal for Norfolk Apr 25th 2008 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 6267055)
Mate opinions are like arseholes aint they..

but i reckon you could be on to a winner, with that attitude !

Ste

Cheers - although new to the site it does appear that the opinions can get negative here. But then we are Brits so it comes natural!

Australia_bound? Apr 25th 2008 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Normal for Norfolk (Post 6266677)

Are a few who've gone out to Aus and one of them wasn't sure about it and they ended up splitting up due to it.
Is this playing it safe or valuing what you have?
If your Mrs is unhappy there what's the back up plan? Are you prepared to move back and do you have a life to come back to.
Go post in moving back to UK forum, a few with similar issues where one didn't really want to go. Is it all worth it for 2 years? Why not just go on extended holiday :confused:

Timber Floor Au Apr 26th 2008 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Normal for Norfolk (Post 6267116)
Cheers - although new to the site it does appear that the opinions can get negative here. But then we are Brits so it comes natural!

Nah... You just have to read between the lines.

This place, is more a social community to us in Oz, than it is a forum.

We chat with mates on here, and sometimes the banter.. can overspill into genuine threads... its life. Haphazzrdness comes natural.

Ste

pinkjane8 Apr 26th 2008 11:30 am

Just go for it!!! Im sure if you dont - while you can, age wise I mean - I feel youll regret it and i will be too late - The think thats keeping me going is 'we can always come back'!

GOOD LUCK:thumbsup::thumbsup:

cathy_rainbow Apr 26th 2008 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by pinkjane8 (Post 6268412)
Just go for it!!! Im sure if you dont - while you can, age wise I mean - I feel youll regret it and i will be too late - The think thats keeping me going is 'we can always come back'!

GOOD LUCK:thumbsup::thumbsup:

As another mid 40s married to a mid 50s we went for it and don't regret it yet!

have only been here since mid Jan but hey!

Cathy