Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

starting ur own child care center???

starting ur own child care center???

Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

ABB1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starting ur own child care center???

Hi,

I'm hoping to get my parents to Oz via parent migration scheme. My mom keen on following a child care course once she moves.

Can somebody clarify me the following

- can she really starts child care since she'l be 58 by then?
- what courses she needs to follow to initially start one?
- Can she start a small child care center at home by her own , if so what would be the basic requirements?

Pls help guys...
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting ur own child care center???

www.familydaycare.com.au

She could study through Tafe College, i am doing Children Services 111 which has a section on Family day care also she would need a blue card and senior first aid. There is loads of information on the website.

Last edited by LINZI; Jul 7th 2009 at 5:30 am.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINDZI
www.familydaycare.com.au

She could study through Tafe College, i am doing Children Services 111 which has a section on Family day care also she would need a blue card and senior first aid. There is loads of information on the website.

yes, she could do family day care from home with a max of 4 under 5's and 3 school age children. Anymore than that and it's a no, no from home.

When i was a coordinator for a Family Day Care Scheme i always used to get calls from people asking ' can my daughter and i do family day care together so that we can have 8 under 5's and 6 school children' and the answer to that is...no. When the amount of children exceeds 4 under 5's it is no longer seen as an acceptable number of children in a house and the council require a 'day care centre' policy with all the requirements, ie, small toilets, sinks, certain amount of space per child etc (basically it's not worth it!)

All this information, however, is regarding QLD, each state is different, i believe in NSW you can have 5 under 5s.

Oh yes, it is not a requirement to have any formal qualifications at present in QLD to be a FDC.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

ABB1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sammyg
yes, she could do family day care from home with a max of 4 under 5's and 3 school age children. Anymore than that and it's a no, no from home.

When i was a coordinator for a Family Day Care Scheme i always used to get calls from people asking ' can my daughter and i do family day care together so that we can have 8 under 5's and 6 school children' and the answer to that is...no. When the amount of children exceeds 4 under 5's it is no longer seen as an acceptable number of children in a house and the council require a 'day care centre' policy with all the requirements, ie, small toilets, sinks, certain amount of space per child etc (basically it's not worth it!)

All this information, however, is regarding QLD, each state is different, i believe in NSW you can have 5 under 5s.

Oh yes, it is not a requirement to have any formal qualifications at present in QLD to be a FDC.

Hi thanx very very much.. one more thing, can u maintain a family day care in ur own house with a minimum garden space? and normally how much can u expect to earn from that?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the garden is safe and the children can go outside to play. Family Day Carers decide their own rate it varies at the moment between $5 - 7 per hour per child depending on quals/experience. It also depends what hours the carer works 6 am 7 am -4pm, 6pm and what hours parents want.

It can be a good wage but it's hard work and there is quite a bit of prep that goes into making the house safe.

Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Is a Family Day Carer the same as a child minder in the UK? I see that you say FDC don't need qualifications at present in QLD...but they do have to have their property check to make sure it's safe for children right?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GillyG
Is a Family Day Carer the same as a child minder in the UK? I see that you say FDC don't need qualifications at present in QLD...but they do have to have their property check to make sure it's safe for children right?
yes it is the same as a child minder, it's just a little ahead(shock i know) than the UK.

Yes, there is a blue card (police check) house safety check, you need public liability insurance ($500), senior first aid and cpr and have to attend regular traning events in the evening.

Oh yes, you have to have training first provided by the scheme (a day or 2). Not everyone gets taken on however, you have to prove to the scheme that you are confident and capable