Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting up my OZ life in Stafford- What is your opinion?

Starting up my OZ life in Stafford- What is your opinion?

Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

QLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really nice
Question Starting up my OZ life in Stafford- What is your opinion?

Hi
I have found a house in Stafford QLD for rent(short term). I have never been in Australia and it will be the first place I am going to stay in Australia
Please advise good point and possible bad points of living in this Suburb.
Are there any Restaurants, Shopping centers, food stores available ?
Is it close to the city ?
How much does it cost me to go to the city by bus ?
How far is it from the city ?
I have googled the suburb but need advise from those who have lived or are living in this suburb
Thanks for your help in advance
Regards
REZA
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice
Default Re: Starting up my OZ life in Stafford- What is your opinion?

Hi QLDlover

I don't know much about Stafford but thought I'd give you this link:

http://translink.com.au/

You can check bus times, length of travel times to the city, cost of tickets/GoCard etc

Good luck with your move!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 9:11 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Which end of Stafford? East you are close to Gympie Road which is usually hell at rush hour but will soon have the Northern Busway giving you a fast run into town. West your trip into town is by Enoggera Road and Kelvin Grove Road - I don't know what they are like in the peak times. Your nearest train station is probably Enoggera on the Ferny Grove line.

Stafford City is a reasonable shopping centre, and you are only 5km from Chermside which is a huge shopping centre selling just about anything you could ever need (and lots of things you'll never need!).
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by QLDlover
Hi
I have found a house in Stafford QLD for rent(short term). I have never been in Australia and it will be the first place I am going to stay in Australia
Please advise good point and possible bad points of living in this Suburb.
Are there any Restaurants, Shopping centers, food stores available ?
Is it close to the city ?
How much does it cost me to go to the city by bus ?
How far is it from the city ?
I have googled the suburb but need advise from those who have lived or are living in this suburb
Thanks for your help in advance
Regards
REZA
Hi I work in Stafford.....

Stafford is a mixture of housing commision houses (like council houses) and private homes. The private homes command decent prices as they are so close to the city.

Stafford Shopping Centre is ok, you wouldn't want to depend on it for everything but Chermside is so close so it doesn't matter. You have the movies there at Stafford City Shopping Centre and Woolworths for your main food shop. There is the Stafford Tavern for pub grub down on Webster Road but then you are only 10 mins from Wilston Village with all the restaurants and then 10mins from that and you are in the city.

No idea on buses but it wouldn't be more than $5 to the city, as I said you are only about 20 mins by bus to the CBD.

Stafford and like lots of areas in QLD has it areas of people who are bogans ( a bit rough) and then 90% of the area is not. There are always pockets of it wherever you go. It's a decent enough place if you want to be near the city and don't want to pay the higher city prices, the housing commission in the area will always keep the prices lower but don't be put off it's a good place to find your feet.....

Let me know if you need any further advice.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

QLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really nice

Originally Posted by macy
Hi I work in Stafford.....

Stafford is a mixture of housing commision houses (like council houses) and private homes. The private homes command decent prices as they are so close to the city.

Stafford Shopping Centre is ok, you wouldn't want to depend on it for everything but Chermside is so close so it doesn't matter. You have the movies there at Stafford City Shopping Centre and Woolworths for your main food shop. There is the Stafford Tavern for pub grub down on Webster Road but then you are only 10 mins from Wilston Village with all the restaurants and then 10mins from that and you are in the city.

No idea on buses but it wouldn't be more than $5 to the city, as I said you are only about 20 mins by bus to the CBD.

Stafford and like lots of areas in QLD has it areas of people who are bogans ( a bit rough) and then 90% of the area is not. There are always pockets of it wherever you go. It's a decent enough place if you want to be near the city and don't want to pay the higher city prices, the housing commission in the area will always keep the prices lower but don't be put off it's a good place to find your feet.....

Let me know if you need any further advice.
Hi Macy
Thanks for your reply and for your valuable information. What sort of jobs are available in this suburb? Is there any chance to find job?
Regards
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Macy
Thanks for your reply and for your valuable information. What sort of jobs are available in this suburb? Is there any chance to find job?
Regards
Depends what job you are looking for. There are shops, and a few small businesses, but its not a big employment centre or industrial area.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Macy
Regards

As already stated, you would probably be working in the city, Stafford is just like a small town in the UK, ok if you want to work in a bank or a shop or one of the many printers around Stafford but the majority are city based.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

I've lived in 2 northern suburbs that are close to Stafford. I think it is a good suburb. Some bits are better than others, but all of the above are fair comments. There is a coffee place on Hayward Street that I think is the best in Brisbane. It has other good suburbs around it, Grange and Gordon Park are very desirable areas to live. Bus links should be good. Enoggera road is ok in peak times, lane 1 is T3 so dedicated bus/taxi/trade at peak times.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
I've lived in 2 northern suburbs that are close to Stafford. I think it is a good suburb. Some bits are better than others, but all of the above are fair comments. There is a coffee place on Hayward Street that I think is the best in Brisbane. It has other good suburbs around it, Grange and Gordon Park are very desirable areas to live. Bus links should be good. Enoggera road is ok in peak times, lane 1 is T3 so dedicated bus/taxi/trade at peak times.
Thanks for your post
Regards