Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting Up a B & B in Aus

Starting Up a B & B in Aus

Old Mar 6th 2005, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Malcontent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting Up a B & B in Aus

I have been intending to migrate to Oz for the last forty years. I worked on the Southern Cross carrying 10 quid migrants. Since then I've lived and worked in a lot of countries but the big blue sky and the people I've met on visits to Oz have convinced me that my original intentions were right.

I just thought it would be a good idea to ask you good people if the idea I have now of buying a chunk of land and opening a B & B is feasible for a wanderer like me with a beautiful wife who also is sure that Australia is a great place. We have been to WA Queensland Sydney but after a long period in the tropics I do not think we could do cold again.

So teach an old dog new tricks and tell me what you think I ought to know.

Regards to all,

Mike
Old Mar 6th 2005, 5:18 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting Up a B & B in Aus

Originally Posted by Malcontent
I have been intending to migrate to Oz for the last forty years. I worked on the Southern Cross carrying 10 quid migrants. Since then I've lived and worked in a lot of countries but the big blue sky and the people I've met on visits to Oz have convinced me that my original intentions were right.

I just thought it would be a good idea to ask you good people if the idea I have now of buying a chunk of land and opening a B & B is feasible for a wanderer like me with a beautiful wife who also is sure that Australia is a great place. We have been to WA Queensland Sydney but after a long period in the tropics I do not think we could do cold again.

So teach an old dog new tricks and tell me what you think I ought to know.

Regards to all,

Mike
HI mike do a search on google for a group of books Called BEAUTIFUL ACCOMODATION these cover b&b s, in every state in Australia, this will give you some idea of what you are up against,most people i have moved out of B&B,s say,that the work and complaints from guests finaly got to them. But there still plenty of retirees buying into them,so good luck....................... mm
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mr mover
HI mike do a search on google for a group of books Called BEAUTIFUL ACCOMODATION these cover b&b s, in every state in Australia, this will give you some idea of what you are up against,most people i have moved out of B&B,s say,that the work and complaints from guests finaly got to them. But there still plenty of retirees buying into them,so good luck....................... mm
Hi Mr Mover

Thanks for advice foiund the BA site. We are really bad at seeing the downsides of things, far too optimistic. Notice a lot of B & B's for sale in Mt Tambourine area is that a good sign or a bad one?

Regards

Mike
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mr Mover

Thanks for advice foiund the BA site. We are really bad at seeing the downsides of things, far too optimistic. Notice a lot of B & B's for sale in Mt Tambourine area is that a good sign or a bad one?

Regards

Mike
I'd hazard a guess that it's a bad sign. There's more accommodation available in the Gold Coast area (coast and hinterland) that anywhere else in Australia. All the cute B&B's up in the hinterland would be competing against zillions of cut-price apartments down on the coast.

I know that the type of people who stay in B&B's usually differ from those that want the beach - but when you can get a full apartment for half the price of one night in a B&B, it might be a bit hard to justify the extra expense.

You'd be better off looking for B&B's in country towns, close to the big cities but where there's little other competition for accommodation.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nickyc
I'd hazard a guess that it's a bad sign. There's more accommodation available in the Gold Coast area (coast and hinterland) that anywhere else in Australia. All the cute B&B's up in the hinterland would be competing against zillions of cut-price apartments down on the coast.

I know that the type of people who stay in B&B's usually differ from those that want the beach - but when you can get a full apartment for half the price of one night in a B&B, it might be a bit hard to justify the extra expense.

You'd be better off looking for B&B's in country towns, close to the big cities but where there's little other competition for accommodation.
Does that include Noosa Hinterland or further north as well?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Does that include Noosa Hinterland or further north as well?
I'm not an expert or anything so these are just my own thoughts!

I think the Sunshine coast market is quite a bit different to the Gold Coast. Gold Coast appeals to the masses - theme parks, loads of kids, fast food, high rise, etc whereas the Sunshine Coast is probably - er - for the more discerning holidaymaker.

I'd think that there would be more of a market for B&B accommodation in the Sunshine coast hinterland than the Gold Coast, simply because Sunshine coast attracts more people that want to avoid the glitz.

To be honest, I think B&B's are used more by people going away for a weekend - rather than people on their annual holidays. The ones that are within a 2-3 hour drive of Sydney (like the Blue Mountains, South Coast, pretty country towns) do best in this area and it's probably much the same in Queensland, so you wouldn't want to be too far from a major centre.