British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Starting from scratch - where in Aus? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/starting-scratch-where-aus-674393/)

mp41984 Jun 28th 2010 6:52 pm

Starting from scratch - where in Aus?

Hi all,

Am dual-nationality but spent the majority of my time in the UK.

I'm facing redundancy, and since the chance of gaining decent employment in the UK is quite difficult at the moment, I'm looking at going back to Australia. At the moment this is just a research exercise as there's a glimmer of hope I may be transferred.

I'm single, with no financial commitments. Unfortunately, after airfare, I'd also only have around £1000 GBP to bring with me.

Where would be a good place to start from scratch? I spent some time in Perth so have an expired crowd controller licence I could renew/transfer to another state to get some base income, and maybe temp during the day until I find my feet.

What's the job market like in professional services, ie law? Particularly in NSW.

Anyone come out with just the shirt on their back, so to speak?

Cheers in advance!

MaCCCa Jun 28th 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Starting from scratch - where in Aus?

We are moving out to Melbourne as a family at end of October and will also be coming with literally nothing! So We are in the same boat. A better life for our children is our main reason - it may be a struggle but we don't want our kids growing up in the UK.

A gamble but hopefully it will be worth it!

Good luck to you!

mp41984 Jun 28th 2010 7:10 pm

Having done it once before (in Perth), the first few months are INCREDIBLY tough, but adjustment/settling in gains momentum quickly. It's as much a psychological effort.

Then, however, I had family and contacts to assist. Now, I'd be starting from more or less nothing, hence the info shout!

Hope it goes well, since the UK is not set to get any better for quite some time yet!

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jun 28th 2010 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by MaCCCa (Post 8663476)
We are moving out to Melbourne as a family at end of October and will also be coming with literally nothing! So We are in the same boat. A better life for our children is our main reason - it may be a struggle but we don't want our kids growing up in the UK.

A gamble but hopefully it will be worth it!

Good luck to you!

Good luck with that plan. Where are you hoping/expecting to live?

MaCCCa Jun 28th 2010 10:33 pm

We are initially stopping with my sister in law rent free for a month or two until we are sorted out. My wife is a teacher so hopefully will have something sorted before we get there and I have a few irons in the fire in Melbourne.

So we have some family support - we know its gonna be tough but know it will be worth it in the long term for our kids.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jun 28th 2010 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by MaCCCa (Post 8663849)
We are initially stopping with my sister in law rent free for a month or two until we are sorted out. My wife is a teacher so hopefully will have something sorted before we get there and I have a few irons in the fire in Melbourne.

So we have some family support - we know its gonna be tough but know it will be worth it in the long term for our kids.

That sounds a bit better. !!

It looked originally like you were planning to just rock up and find somewhere to live straight off the plane. :scaredhair:

As for 'doing it for the kids', personally I think its far too overblown an idea that Australia is better for kids.

paddyo Jun 28th 2010 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8663862)
That sounds a bit better. !!

It looked originally like you were planning to just rock up and find somewhere to live straight off the plane. :scaredhair:

As for 'doing it for the kids', personally I think its far too overblown an idea that Australia is better for kids.

In a way I agree, I think the term should be 'different for kids, better for parents'.
Why do I say that? Well kids are resilient and will adapt to most environments, especially when younger. They will have initial upheaval, especially if in a structured routine, which may even cause behaviour issues (been there!!!) but will eventually settle down.
I think its better for parents as there is a big 'outside school' curriculum here, soccer, rugby, netball, swimming, nippers (sea/surf school) and it really does have a big social aspect to it. Also the decent weather is more conducive to parents gettting out and about more with their kids than the UK. I am definately a better father for being out here and always out on the bike or down the beach with my son, in the UK it was too cold, wet or miserable, for the majority of the year, to be more proactive.
So what I suppose I am saying is don't just look at it for the kids, look at it for yourselves and also for your familys interaction, that in my opinion would provide greater reward.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jun 29th 2010 12:38 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 8663889)
Well kids are resilient and will adapt to most environments, especially when younger. They will have initial upheaval, especially if in a structured routine, which may even cause behaviour issues (been there!!!) but will eventually settle down.

The "especially when younger" is the important bit of that statement. Teenagers are a different ball game and may never settle.

quoll Jun 29th 2010 1:18 am

Yeah, dont come for the "better life for the kids" - there is no guarantee that it will be that and they may well decide, like many young Aussies do, to up sticks and go back to the buzz of UK/Europe once they can escape after school or uni. Own it for what it is, an adult itch for adventure. It is a different lifestyle but whether it will be better or not is a matter of conjecture - for some it is and for some it is not.

As for starting from scratch - go where you get the first job opportunity and start from there.

Spellbound Jun 29th 2010 3:50 am

[QUOTE=paddyo;8663889] 'different for kids, better for parents'.
QUOTE]

Well said, thats perfect - I think that I will use that term from now on!

I personally think Australia is a fantastic place for young children, so much to do etc. When I walk past a fantastic play park next to a sandy beach, I cant help but saying 'what a great place to bring up children'

Once young adulthood kicks in though, a completely different perspective with many finding Australia too iscolated and many look at travelling or moving to Europe etc. My own young adult (19) loves it here but still talks about doing some travelling, my eldest moved back to the UK and currently resides there.

Moving for the kids, seems like a great idea when they are younger but when they get older, you may have a divided family on your hands, so its definitely something to be aware of.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jun 29th 2010 4:04 am

[QUOTE=Spellbound;8664397]

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 8663889)
'different for kids, better for parents'.
QUOTE]

Well said, thats perfect - I think that I will use that term from now on!

I personally think Australia is a fantastic place for young children, so much to do etc. When I walk past a fantastic play park next to a sandy beach, I cant help but saying 'what a great place to bring up children'

Once young adulthood kicks in though, a completely different perspective with many finding Australia too iscolated and many look at travelling or moving to Europe etc. My own young adult (19) loves it here but still talks about doing some travelling, my eldest moved back to the UK and currently resides there.

Moving for the kids, seems like a great idea when they are younger but when they get older, you may have a divided family on your hands, so its definitely something to be aware of.

I seem to heading down the same route. I have two sons, the eldest is disabled and will always be where we are, but my youngest is 16 in a couple of weeks and I'm certain, well this week I am, that he will not be staying in Australia.

MaCCCa Jun 29th 2010 6:40 am

I have an almost 2 year old and a 13 year old from a previous relation ship who is leaving her mum behind. We have told her to give it one school year if she has second thoughts. It is going to be tough for her. I am happy she is going to try but I am prepared if she opts to go back to the UK.

Bermudashorts Jun 29th 2010 7:44 am

Originally Posted by mp41984 (Post 8663453)
Am dual-nationality but spent the majority of my time in the UK.

I'm facing redundancy, and since the chance of gaining decent employment in the UK is quite difficult at the moment, I'm looking at going back to Australia. At the moment this is just a research exercise as there's a glimmer of hope I may be transferred.

I'm single, with no financial commitments. Unfortunately, after airfare, I'd also only have around £1000 GBP to bring with me.

Where would be a good place to start from scratch? I spent some time in Perth so have an expired crowd controller licence I could renew/transfer to another state to get some base income, and maybe temp during the day until I find my feet.

What's the job market like in professional services, ie law? Particularly in NSW.

Anyone come out with just the shirt on their back, so to speak?

You are going out with £1,000. :eek:

Oh lordy I must be getting old and more cowardly with it..