Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting from Scratch

Starting from Scratch

Old Feb 10th 2003, 12:39 am
Just Joined

clueless is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting from Scratch

Wow!! I came on to this forum for some insights into the general PR visa situation as me and my partner are about to apply under skilled independent category but never expected the situation to be so gloomy! Do the visas EVER arrive?????

We were considering using a migration agent as we have so many questions and we can't afford to f* this up but feeling about agents seems to be pretty negative on this board so hopefully you seasoned veterans can help answer some of my (hundreds!) of worries and questions .. Please!!

here goes...
1) We are applying for the PR Skilled Ind as de-facto spouses but I don't meet basic requirements (been slaving at Uni for last 4 yrs) so my partner is the main applicant. If the application is successful will I be entitled to same residency and working rights or do I need to apply seperately? We don't need the extra 5 points for me meeting criteria.
2) Am I right in thinking that assuming all points criteria, police checks, medicals etc are in order that we will (eventually) get a visa or is it a question of luck?
3) Even though I am not the main applicant can my uncle sponsor us? There seems to be conflicting information on this in the migration booklets, site info and independent info I've read. Also, do we need to live in the same state as him?
4) FINALLY!! How long roughly are these applications taking? Having read the site info I expected about a year from submission but looking here it seems that it pretty optimistic.

I'd really appreciate any tips you can offer, we've read the books from cover to cover but it's all so overwhelming, designed for only the hardiest and keenest applicants me thinks!!!

Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2003, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Welcome to the board.
Don't let all the negatives get to you, it's just that when you've made a life changing decision you'd just like to get on with it !
Current applications seem to be taking about 50 weeks according to the Adelaide skilled processing centre.
From my understanding of the form 40 your sponsor/assurer does not need to be related (most are due to the financial implications).
If you decide to use an agent I recommend that they are MARA registered and if you do a search on this site you will obtain lots of recommendations for reputable agents. Because our application was fairly straightforward I decided to go it alone, but only do this if you have the time and will power to carry on with all the searching for docs,photocopying and a friendly JP who can certify your copies

Good luck with your application