Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting school - nice response from head

Starting school - nice response from head

Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:17 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Starting school - nice response from head

My missus recently emailed the head of the school that we'd like our son Josh to start at with a couple of questions and I thought I'd bung the response in here because it illustrates that contrary to some other threads I've read, the schools *can* be flexible.

The email:
Here in the UK he started school (reception year, which I believe you call Kindergarten) in September 2005. We know you have a different starting age for children in Australia , but now that he has started school we think it would be difficult for him to go to pre-school and then start 'big' school all over again (he very much enjoys school and is very keen to learn). We would like him to attend 'big' school as soon as possible - he'll be 5 in August 2006. Would it be possible to enrol him from say August 2006?
We got a reply fairly promptly:
Students are not supposed to be enrolled in Kindergarten if they do not turn 5 by the end of June. Don't panic! On arrival, we will assess Joshua in relation to his social and academic progress. If everything suggests he should start Kinder, I will allow that to happen. No sense giving you more work for Joshua, as he needs to have some fun. We will make sure we cover the things needed. You just get him to love learning and barracking for the Aussies!
So there you go - nice reponse I thought - and good to know that they take each case on its merits.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Starting school - nice response from head

Originally Posted by Hutch
My missus recently emailed the head of the school that we'd like our son Josh to start at with a couple of questions and I thought I'd bung the response in here because it illustrates that contrary to some other threads I've read, the schools *can* be flexible.

The email:
Here in the UK he started school (reception year, which I believe you call Kindergarten) in September 2005. We know you have a different starting age for children in Australia , but now that he has started school we think it would be difficult for him to go to pre-school and then start 'big' school all over again (he very much enjoys school and is very keen to learn). We would like him to attend 'big' school as soon as possible - he'll be 5 in August 2006. Would it be possible to enrol him from say August 2006?
We got a reply fairly promptly:
Students are not supposed to be enrolled in Kindergarten if they do not turn 5 by the end of June. Don't panic! On arrival, we will assess Joshua in relation to his social and academic progress. If everything suggests he should start Kinder, I will allow that to happen. No sense giving you more work for Joshua, as he needs to have some fun. We will make sure we cover the things needed. You just get him to love learning and barracking for the Aussies!
So there you go - nice reponse I thought - and good to know that they take each case on its merits.
Thats good to know that schools can be flexible.

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Starting school - nice response from head

Good news from the head. We also found that any head teachers we contacted were extremely helpful. Just wanted to mention that where you say:
[indent]Here in the UK he started school (reception year, which I believe you call Kindergarten) in September 2005.

Here in WA, don't know about other states, the UK reception year is the equivalent of Pre-primary year. Kindy is the equivalent of UK nursery/pre school. I know this has caused aome confusion on here in the past.
Good luck with the move
Cheers
Yvonne