Starting School

Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Starting School

Hi - we've a 4 year old and 8 year old and will be arriving in Melbourne on a temporary visa for 2 years in July - Summer for Winter trade doesn't seem a great idea.

I'm worried cos I've heard somewhere that the youngest shouldn't start school till he's 6 (he's already been in nursery in the mornings and loves it) and that it would be difficult to get either child into schools anyway.

Can anyone give me more info on this - please!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Starting School

Originally Posted by flip
Hi - we've a 4 year old and 8 year old and will be arriving in Melbourne on a temporary visa for 2 years in July - Summer for Winter trade doesn't seem a great idea.

I'm worried cos I've heard somewhere that the youngest shouldn't start school till he's 6 (he's already been in nursery in the mornings and loves it) and that it would be difficult to get either child into schools anyway.

Have you looked at http://www.det.vic.gov.au/det/parent...ok/default.htm and downloaded the handbook ?

You might even find some info at Schools forum Victoria

My own daughter started in NSW before she was 6, she's now 8 years old and in year 4.

Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Starting School

We are in Melbourne, and the children start school in the January only if they turn 5 years old before 30th April of that year. My son's birthday is 3rd May, so he will start school when he's 5 and 3/4. Lots of people if their child will turn 5 between Jan and April hold them back for a year and start them when they are almost 6. There is kinder available which is 2-3 sessions a week, or private care. I'm coming accross to the idea myself and wouldn't want to send him at 4 and 1/2 as we would do in England.

Pootle
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

p.s
We arrived here in Jan and a week later signed our daughter into a school so was no probs getting her in (she was almost 6). Just had to prove we lived within the catchment area!
Pootle
Old Mar 11th 2005, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

if you make contact with some of the schools direct, they will advise you. I contacted one and they said as my 4yr old will have been at school for 1yr this sept, I can go to the education centre and they will allow him to start school, i was told lots of people from overseas do this and was told by all schools that i contacted that they would have no probs having the kids in their schools if we were in the catchment areas, i have 3 kids, 9yrs, 7yrs and 4yrs. cheers and goodluck
Trish
Old Mar 11th 2005, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Thanks all - you're making me feel much better (his birthday's 24 April) so that seems to fit in with the school year.

Does anyone know though about whether he qualifies for school with the temporary visa?

Carolyn
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all - you're making me feel much better (his birthday's 24 April) so that seems to fit in with the school year.

Does anyone know though about whether he qualifies for school with the temporary visa?

Carolyn
Depemds on the type of visa. Our school checked ours (457) and we were fine but were told that with some types of visa you may have to pay. Best to e-mail the schools you are interested in and ask them.
Pootle