Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting Own Business Once In Australia?

Starting Own Business Once In Australia?

Old Nov 27th 2003, 3:53 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default Starting Own Business Once In Australia?

Hi there everybody. Thanks to those who helped me on my previous sat dec thread!

I am hoping to go to Melbourne to live with my Australian girlfriend in March 2004 if all goes well, and we have just got the application in for a De Facto partner visa. I am thinking about jobs in Australia, and am wondering if it would be worth considering buying our own business. We have about £50,000 between us from inheritance and hope to invest it wisely! How easy is it to set up / take over say a cafe for example in Australia? What are the pitfalls? Will £50,000 be enough to buy a small business out right? I know we will probably end up working more hours than a normal job, but it is tempting to be your own boss and not having to worry about job hunting.

Anybody with any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by joninoxford; Nov 27th 2003 at 4:01 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Jeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jonathan,

I have put up a web page here for business help and resource links: http://www.jeztechs.com/business_resources.htm

Although it is mainly based in the Sunshine Coast there are tons of links which will be helpful for you.

Regards
Jerry
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:57 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jon, PeteY asked about setting up a small business a few days back, I didnt read the thread but it may have some info thats applicable to buying a business as well. Have a look back through the threads (the search function seems to be on the blink, so I wouldnt count on it coming up if you do a search, you'll be better looking back through them).

Good luck.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 10:09 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Starting Own Business Once In Australia?

Originally posted by joninoxford
Hi there everybody. Thanks to those who helped me on my previous sat dec thread!

I am hoping to go to Melbourne to live with my Australian girlfriend in March 2004 if all goes well, and we have just got the application in for a De Facto partner visa. I am thinking about jobs in Australia, and am wondering if it would be worth considering buying our own business. We have about £50,000 between us from inheritance and hope to invest it wisely! How easy is it to set up / take over say a cafe for example in Australia? What are the pitfalls? Will £50,000 be enough to buy a small business out right? I know we will probably end up working more hours than a normal job, but it is tempting to be your own boss and not having to worry about job hunting.

Anybody with any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Hi Jon

Have you ever run a cafe before? Whatever business you decide to buy (if) I'd strongly recommend that you have the experience of running such a business behind you. I have lost count of the number of ex-managers / engineers / IT workers who sunk their life savings into 'a little business to keep us going', and lost THE LOT through lack of knowledge and experience.

Sorry for the neggies, but I'd rather put a wet blanket over the idea right now at the outset, than hear from you in a years time, saying that it had all gone down the tubes.

Good luck with it, anyway.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 10:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The Sydney Cafe scene is very competitive and I am forever seeing under new management signs. The business money in Oz is made by those with unique ideas.

It can be done and I know someone who is worth millions from adding his own twist to a traditional business. He also worked in that business before and knew what he was doing and how to get customers (basically corruption).

Another person who I know of making good money does cleaning for Estate Agents and rakes in over $100 an hour. Think different and if you don't mind getting your hands dirty there is good money to be made.